Looks like a new model company has emerged

Rafbanter

On 17/08/2021 at 20:45, JamesP said:

Who on Earth though uses the word "kitsets"? 😕

I do - as do many (most?) kiwis.

It was bought up building ‘kitsets’; it’s just what they were called, in Christchurch at least. No-one thought anything of it.

Now that I live in Australia apparently use of the term identifies me as a kiwi according to one or two of my model building mates.

Australians use the term ‘model kit’ a term that, to me at least, sounded very odd when I first heard it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Blue Monday said:

It is a bit like the ponce that came up with the phrase "price point". Just another nonsensical buzzword they come up with to try to capture your attention. 

BM.

No, it’s not a marketing buzzword ( I hate them too!)

Honestly the term is just in widespread use in New Zealand and has been since at least the 50 years I can remember. 

• Like 2

So it is published by them that the first kit will be in 1/32 scale. But it is not said anywhere that they are not planning anything in other scales too? I don't know, just wondering.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Honestly the term is just in widespread use in New Zealand and has been since at least the 50 years I can remember. 

I reckon I can advance you at least another 5 if not 10 years on that. What you pommies northern hemisphere types call flat pack furniture, has been referred to as kitset furniture since Adam was a cowboy in my experience anyway. 

I don't build 1/32 & will likely never do so but it would be nice to see the WNW range &/or ethos re-emerge. It was harsh the way they were dealt to.

Steve.

• Like 10

Yes we Kiwis always call them Kitsets  which also extends to  things like Kit set furniture ...(Ie self assembly ikea style stuff )  .

Of course the use of the term " kitset " could be a clue to the first subject but  probably  isn't . 😃

Some of us Kiwis still use such Olde Worlde phrases like Transfers ,Benzene Movie theatres and Radiogramme ! 

Also we have had hot water since 1986

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

Motor-car! 🤔

There’s another tautology (still sometimes heard in NZ) Who builds a car without a motor? 🤪

And yes; my dad and I always used to finish our ‘kitsets’ by putting ‘transfers’ on them. Some peasants used to call them ‘stickers’ but we would always correct those poor backward souls. 

Decals????

Probably something NASA was working on. 🤔

• Haha 6

Hope they get a good run and make a tonne of coin.

Other than that I think I'll sit back and wait and see if they produce anything that fits into my limited sphere of interest whilst contemplating the small mountain of untouched model boxes taking up real estate in my shed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Motor-car! 🤔

There’s another tautology. Who builds a car without a motor?

Side car

Railway car

I'm pretty sure car is derived from 'carriage' so in that context it makes sense - and rolls off the tongue more easily than 'horseless carriage', which is of course what they should properly be called :)

Cheers

Colin

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ckw said:

Side car

Railway car

I'm pretty sure car is derived from 'carriage' so in that context it makes sense - and rolls off the tongue more easily than 'horseless carriage', which is of course what they should properly be called :)

Cheers

Colin

Fair points well made. 

I’ll be off on my velocopede now! 🚴 

8 hours ago, Neil Lambess said:

Yes we Kiwis always call them Kitsets  which also extends to  things like Kit set furniture ...(Ie self assembly ikea style stuff )  .

Of course the use of the term " kitset " could be a clue to the first subject but  probably  isn't . 😃

Some of us Kiwis still use such Olde Worlde phrases like Transfers ,Benzene Movie theatres and Radiogramme ! 

Also we have had hot water since 1986

Transfers ... That's a name I haven't heard for a long, long time ...

Obi Wan Kenobi

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

perhaps its just me, but while I saw there is a new model company, rather bizarrely they didn't actually reveal any hints as to what they are working on..or even whether they will be releasing WnW stuff .....did they? 

Are the two photos on the right of the header page clues? If so something fabric covered? 

So WW2 with fabric covering, possible biplane given previous experience, with likely NZ connections. But with sufficient appeal to a broader customer base. 

Hmm🤔

Something Luftwaffe might work too. German aeroplanes are perennially popular.

What about an Anson, fabric covered, sure to be popular?

Anyway whatever 'kitset' and 'transfers' they come up with. I'm sure it'll be excellent. 

But anyone can set up a Facebook page and a website. They do not, however have Peter Jackson's deep pockets. 

Time will tell. 

• Like 1

There's still a bit of wishlisting going on, so I'll say it again only in a large red font :dull:

This is NOT a wishlist thread

Please discuss the company, and known products, and if you're so minded, wish them well.  Good luck with your new venture guys! :yes:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Ok so not wishlisting I again look at those photos- one seems to be a series of rib tapes but could be off anything- but the other- it could be3 guns on a leading edge but fabric covered? Looking at it again could they be exhausts? Not a scooby! SPAD?

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT

I can’t help laughing at the inability of people to follow a simple request from Admin to keep to topic; which part of “this is not a wish list thread” do some not understand?

I make a predication.

When Kotare announce their first kit, there will be plenty of posts from myopic individuals who will complain/observe/opine/rant that it’s not what they wanted/demanded.expected/deserved and they have wasted (their own) time, money and energy into producing something that they won’t purchase. So what?

Of this prediction I would put my house on, aside from being happy that the former WNW Team will produce something that will give me the option to buy/ignore/save for.

That is all.

Edited by Sundowner14
  • Like 7

19 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Motor-car! 🤔

There’s another tautology. Who builds a car without a motor? 🤪

Ah well there's a thing: back before 'cars' (motor cars) even existed, a 'car man' was someone who conveyed goods in a horse-drawn cart. The words 'car' and 'cart' are linked, and used to refer to horse-drawn vehicles. So the term 'motor car' was a way of differentiating it from a horse-drawn car. And even these days there are horse-drawn cars, so the term is still relevant.

• Like 4

Richard is particularly erudite. He once described the effect that a bit of knowledge (on a certain WW1 aircraft) would have on the rivet counters as "they'd have conniptions" I had to look it up....

And no, I'm not going to say what it was. This forums servers would explode with the volume of traffic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No mention of WW2 anywhere on the site or FB.

Two pics one of which looks like fabric tautened over three pointy things, the other looking like seams or something.

Coupled with their history, WW1 seems more likely, or maybe interbellum?

Just to toss one out there Gloster Gladiator?....🤷🏾‍♂️

16 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

Just to toss one out there Gloster Gladiator?....

You just liked my posts asking people not to wishlist... :hmmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6