Kinetic Harrier GR3 1/48 scale

Colin W

I've heard great things about these Kintic Harriers and now I have 4 of various marks in the stash I decided I'd better build one.  This is the GR3 which will be RAF Germany in the mid 80's scheme. 'Everything looks good in camo wrap'

Hopefully it will provide a balance to my Fonduri Miniature Grognard in the French Fancy GB.

IMG_7526

Starting soon.

Colin

• Like 13

Following this one if I may Colin

I picked up this kit as part of the 'the garden is too wet more time for models' plan, along with more than enough others to see me through the winter, but this is defiantly near the top of the pile

The colour instruction sheet is on Scalemates if you want it also

How can you not love a Harrier

Mark

Edited by Sparkie
added comment
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Well I've been languishing at the bottom of page 3 for a while but with the end in sight for my Fondeire Grognard in the French GB it was time to restart the Harrier over the weekend.

Cockpit tub completed in Admiralty grey with black panels and fuselage assembled as per the revised instructions from Nic Greenall and the Harrier SiG.

IMG_20211010_200125238

On the way now

• Like 9

Fuselage has gone together well and no issues. The nozzle synchronisation mechanism works!

The wing is a different matter though with quite a lot of corrections needed. Both sets of pylons in the wrong place, strange steps in the leading edge to be filled, odd strips infront of the outriggers to be removed and the wing tips to be cut back. The PE strakes seems to be in the wrong position and orientation as well.

Additions done and cutting and sanding to follow ....

IMG_20211012_155440180

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Colin W said:

The wing is a different matter though with quite a lot of corrections needed. Both sets of pylons in the wrong place, strange steps in the leading edge to be filled, odd strips infront of the outriggers to be removed and the wing tips to be cut back. The PE strakes seems to be in the wrong position and orientation as well.

Are these just throw backs to the kits previous incarnations do you think Colin, or have Kinetic just got it woefully wrong?

10 minutes ago, Sparkie said:

Are these just throw backs to the kits previous incarnations do you think Colin, or have Kinetic just got it woefully wrong?

All series 1 Harriers used the same wing and I'm not aware of these features on any Harrier.

• Like 1

Blimey, that's a hefty list of issues with the wings alone. Can I ask was all the detail information about how to correct them provided by the Harrier SIG?

• Like 1

My list of corrections came from a friend but was written by Nick Greenhall of the Harrier SIG. I just checked their website but could not find it listed there. Perhaps an email to the UK Harrier sig would be your best choice. It's well worth getting a copy. 

Colin 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

“This is the GR3 which will be RAF Germany in the mid 80's scheme. 'Everything looks good in camo wrap'”

Wise words Sir, although I prefer “Everything looks cool in a camo wrap”

• Haha 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:14 PM, CliffB said:

especially that (potentially prominent), wing to fuselage joint

I was surprised how much filler this needed but the front of the wing joint was OK. I sanded the sides of the front engine cover a bit and it settled nicely into place. The rear joint needed some filler though.

• Like 2

Green now painted and pylons fitted.

Harrier cam

Minor details and undercarriage to be fitted next. I think I should have put the nav lights on before final painting as the tips got thinned down when I removed the odd triangles in front of the outriggers. Now the nav lights are too thick!

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, with all the excitement of the Bunfight, then Telford and Middle Wallop shows I've not had time to do any modelling. Then I realised the deadline for the high wings is this week!

Managed to get the decals on over the weekend and a coat of flat this morning

Harrier

• Like 7

4 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's looking good for Sunday I think 

In with a good chance now!

Panel lines washed and streaks of EDSG sprayed around to make the paint patchy.

The drop tanks actually clicked into place without glue. This is a really well engineered kit. I added a little dab of glue just to be sure.

Tail planes fitted using my new 'EBMA wing Jig'. No more balancing stacks of 2p coins to get accurate measures. 😉

Wing Jig

Just the seat and cockpit to finish

• Like 7