The Best Fighter of WW2...in the Best Scale *FINISHED!*

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

The words ‘ turtle deck ‘ sprang to mind

Sounds a lot better than "the bit behind the seat" anyway. :D 

You're really cracking along with this Alan, turn my back for a couple of days & wow, its a whole aeroplane. I can't do that with 1/72. :(  This is looking terrific. :) 

Steve.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:10 PM, Deanflyer said:

Hope it's not too late, but I think you've glued parts H41 and H42 in upside down and in the wrong sides, mate...those are the inner gear door retraction struts and need to have the narrow end of the pistons sticking out of the well to make contact with the doors later.

Not too late at all, great save Dean, thanks. They're not reversed but just fitted upside down. The instructions are somewhat confusing the way it flips the wing perspective between building steps!

18 hours ago, Alan P said:

The instructions are somewhat confusing the way it flips the wing perspective between building steps!

I know! I'm building the same kit at the moment...

• Like 1

Been doing a bunch of masking and canopy stuff, so here's the latest pics with primer on:

tn_Tempest V (37) tn_Tempest V (38)

Very pleased with the surface detail, should look nice when micromeshed smooth.

I've painted the white areas for the invasion stripes, and then foolishly painted the yellow leading edge strips - over the white :doh: So that's going to set me back a bit of extra masking and time. But still hopeful this will be fully painted and decalled by Monday 😃

• Like 6

On 8/25/2021 at 8:45 AM, Alan P said:

The main improvement is the taper of the nose, as the kit's is too wide. This means the spinner is too big in diameter, so it ends up too long as well. I'm hoping it looks better on the Mk VI, which had a different shape and longer spinner.

The elimination of the seam is a big deal...also the fine surface detail is replicated on the resin part, which is good.

Glad you put the Barra nose on!

Now as far as the nose goes, there were a LOT of mods to get that shape accurate.  The Typhoon guys in Canada sent me some factory lofts and drawings for the nose to ensure it's accuracy.  This was not a master I was keen on doing for Roy due to the complexity of the shape changes...in fact it was a bit of a nightmare LO.  Anyway Kerry and Roy talked me into it :fight:.  The actual thrust line was spot on, but whole nose is waaaay too big, The whole nose was 'pinched' down to the correct dia with multiple cuts.  Obviously the radiator mouth was very oversized and this led to the transition point from the spinner to the top of the opening (a bit like the top lip) needing reprofiling.  This led me back to the opening which was heavily reduced in size and all the profiles going back from the 'mouth needing re-doing (the side and lower contours or cheeks of the kit one are very off).  The lower profile of the radiatior was wrong and needed a flat base as well as the shapes at the rear of the rad exit point.  Does all that make sense???  The nose on the Tempest (and Typhoon) are deceiving indeed and the shapes change quickly at varying angles.  I spent months getting this right, drawings and lofts only tell part of the story, the hardest part after doing the manual structural work was finding the 'correct' look of it.  Sometimes I would have to put it away for a few days and come back with fresh eyes as it was doing my head in!  Kerry did the spinner and blades and Roy restored all the surface detail and what a nightmare that was for him even though I did my best to keep my work clean.

That's the story with the new nose, and I smile every time I see one being used because I know how difficult it was to get right and to me makes a huge difference to the final look of the model IMHO.  Makes all that work worthwhile even though I cussed at Roy and Kerry for getting me into it I am really pleased with the final result.

Great progress mate, she really looks cracking!!

Cheers Anthony

On 8/25/2021 at 8:45 AM, Alan P said:

The main improvement is the taper of the nose, as the kit's is too wide. This means the spinner is too big in diameter, so it ends up too long as well. I'm hoping it looks better on the Mk VI, which had a different shape and longer spinner.

The elimination of the seam is a big deal...also the fine surface detail is replicated on the resin part, which is good.

Glad you put the Barra nose on!

Now as far as the nose goes, there were a LOT of mods to get that shape accurate.  The Typhoon guys in Canada sent me some factory lofts and drawings for the nose to ensure it's accuracy.  This was not a master I was keen on doing for Roy due to the complexity of the shape changes...in fact it was a bit of a nightmare LO.  Anyway Kerry and Roy talked me into it :fight:.  The actual thrust line was spot on, but whole nose is waaaay too big, The whole nose was 'pinched' down to the correct dia with multiple cuts.  Obviously the radiator mouth was very oversized and this led to the transition point from the spinner to the top of the opening (a bit like the top lip) needing reprofiling.  This led me back to the opening which was heavily reduced in size and all the profiles going back from the 'mouth needing re-doing (the side and lower contours or cheeks of the kit one are very off).  The lower profile of the radiatior was wrong and needed a flat base as well as the shapes at the rear of the rad exit point.  Does all that make sense???  The nose on the Tempest (and Typhoon) are deceiving indeed and the shapes change quickly at varying angles.  I spent months getting this right, drawings and lofts only tell part of the story, the hardest part after doing the manual structural work was finding the 'correct' look of it.  Sometimes I would have to put it away for a few days and come back with fresh eyes as it was doing my head in!  Kerry did the spinner and blades and Roy restored all the surface detail and what a nightmare that was for him even though I did my best to keep my work clean.

That's the story with the new nose, and I smile every time I see one being used because I know how difficult it was to get right and to me makes a huge difference to the final look of the model IMHO.  Makes all that work worthwhile even though I cussed at Roy and Kerry for getting me into it I am really pleased with the final result.

Great progress mate, she really looks cracking!!

Cheers Anthony

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Anthony in NZ you and Kerry did a fine job of it, glad you had access to so much crucial information. I'm particularly impressed with the surface detail, which matches the fine rivet lines of the original kit exactly 👍 Hope I'm doing it justice!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alan P said:

@Anthony in NZ you and Kerry did a fine job of it, glad you had access to so much crucial information. I'm particularly impressed with the surface detail, which matches the fine rivet lines of the original kit exactly 👍 Hope I'm doing it justice!

You can thank Roy for that...I had had a gutsful of it by then :drunk: Roy did an outstanding job making it all match the kit!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Awww sorry mate.  

And now you’d better make that x2. I’ve got that one too to fix. Also got the Pacific Models kit. Does that need a new nose job as well perchance?

11 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Oh dammit!

I was going to stick with the kit nose, but after such a detailed explanation above from @Anthony in NZ, I won’t be able to live with it and will have to get the replacement.

John

Thinking I will need another one for the Mk VI as well...

• Sad 1

One whirlwind paint sesh later...

tn_Tempest V (40)

All painted with Colourcoats enamel using the brilliant AML mask set generously provided by @spitfire.

tn_Tempest V (39)

Bit of bleed under the yellow masking on the right wing from the Ocean Grey which I over-thinned a bit ☹️ I also managed to get a spit of paint through the airbrush as I was cleaning it, with some ugly drops just around the right exhaust area which I'll try to fix at some point.

tn_Tempest V (43)

The Medium Sea Grey looks very good, apart from a bit of lifting around the landing light (left of the photo). Pleased the white areas for the 1944 identification stripes survived intact though! I even remembered to do the gear doors at the same time, which is quite organised for me :lol:

Alan

• Like 3

And so not to leave you in suspense, here's the finished stripes:

tn_Tempest V (44)

History be damned, I like nice sharp lines! Annoyingly, some paint lifted at the leading edge just outboard of the gun ports 😠

tn_Tempest V (42)

At this point while I was feeling smug about the stripes I realised I'd forgotten the Sky band just forward of the tail, so it was back to masking for that :sad:  Also, some overspray from the white somehow sneaked past the masking on the lower left intake :angry: Stuff like this really tries your patience!!!

tn_Tempest V (41)

Still a few touchups to do, but generally this has come out really well, and the all-round excellence of Colourcoats is worth the drying time.

Not pictured, I've finished the painting of everything else, including the wheels and propeller so more of that later.

Cheers :cheers:

Alan

• Like 10

Now that is really shaping up, as for the Sky Band, that's the sort of thing that I do all the time, I just masked off the undersides on my PCM Hurricane and was rather pleasd with myself when I realised that I had masked off the wrong side of the line (Black and white undersides). Luckily fixed now.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks gentlemen!

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking absolutely Splendid Alan, great work on the paintwork. 

Chris

Cheers Chris, it's a real hit on my stock of Tamiya tape!

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

I just masked off the undersides on my PCM Hurricane and was rather pleasd with myself when I realised that I had masked off the wrong side of the line (Black and white undersides). Luckily fixed now.

Glad you fixed it Dennis, it's one of those 'doh!' moments, I remember doing something similar with a camouflage scheme, masked the wrong shapes for the wrong colour 🤨

29 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Very very nice Alan!  There is just something about those stripes that just look so cool!  Beautifully done mate

Thank you very much Anthony! I was originally planning to do a late war version but those stripes just look 🔥🔥🔥 Pleased with this project so far.

Thanks again blokes,

Alan

• Like 3

Decals on!

tn_Tempest V (45)

Used the excellent suggestion made by @bigbadbadge using diluted Klear as a setting agent, so the Revell kit decals (roundels) and Xtradecals (serial numbers) went down perfectly (Thanks again Chris 👍)

tn_Tempest V (49)

Might as well be painted on, great tip (thinned Klear with water approx 1.5:1)

tn_Tempest V (46)

The stencils aren't silvered, it's the wet transfer decals from HGW. You have to leave them a few hours before peeling off the backing film.

tn_Tempest V (48) tn_Tempest V (47)

No complaints from me about this kit so far, it's a really good one - also the Barracuda nose correction set went on almost perfectly. 

tn_Tempest V (50)

The tail reinforcement plates were decals from the Revell set, could have tried making them from plastic inserts but this was much easier!

Alan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@bigbadbadge, @Biggles87, @spitfire thank you all again 👍

This might be looking a bit samey but it's almost finished now:

tn_Tempest V (52)

Decided to cheat with the surface effects and just took the shortcut of doing a splash on, wipe off clay wash :blush:

tn_Tempest V (51)

I don't usually use 'blanket' panel line washes as they're just modelling effects and completely unrealistic, but I just want to finish this off in the popular style!

tn_Tempest V (53)

The washes used were different colours, light grey for the white stripes and roundels, dark grey for the camouflage colours. I admit they do add interest!

tn_Tempest V (54)

Final flourish was some home-printed V-1 kill markings as these aircraft were particularly adept at bringing them down - 486 Sqn claimed over 220 destroyed in the summer of 1944.

Well I guess it's just finishing off this build now - more to come!

Alan

• Like 7