Antonov An-225 Mriya and Buran

The Antonov An-225 Mriya (Ukrainian: Антонов Ан-225 Мрія, lit. 'dream' or 'inspiration'; NATO reporting name: Cossack) is a strategic airlift cargo aircraft that was designed by the Antonov Design Bureau in the Ukrainian SSR within the Soviet Union during the 1980s. It is powered by six turbofan engines and is the heaviest aircraft ever built, with a maximum takeoff weight of 640 tonnes (705 short tons; 1,410×103 lb). It also has the largest wingspan of any aircraft in operational service. The single example built has the Ukrainian civil registration UR-82060. A second airframe with a slightly different configuration[1] was partially built. Its construction was halted in 1994[1] because of lack of funding and interest, but revived briefly in 2009, bringing it to 60–70% completion.[2] On 30 August 2016, Antonov agreed to complete the second airframe for Airspace Industry Corporation of China (not to be confused with the Aviation Industry Corporation of China) as a prelude to commencing series production.[3]

The Antonov An-225 was initially developed as an enlargement of the Antonov An-124 to transport Buran-class orbiters. The Antonov An-225 was designed to airlift the Energia rocket's boosters and the Buran-class orbiters for the Soviet space program.  spacer.pngspacer.pngThe most difficult thing in the work was of course to cut out and make an imitation of slats and flaps in take-off mode.

• Like 50
  • Thanks 2

It's a most extraordinary aircraft.  I first saw it at Farnborough 1990 something. They obviously had not prepared for it all. 

As it taxyed out the outer engines simply blew out the runway lights and grass into the eyes of the nearby spectators. Luckily it was a trade day. I had special tickets. But imagine on a public day? 

Anyway a magnificent aeroplane. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, noelh said:

It's a most extraordinary aircraft.  I first saw it at Farnborough 1990 something. They obviously had not prepared for it all. 

As it taxyed out the outer engines simply blew out the runway lights and grass into the eyes of the nearby spectators. Luckily it was a trade day. I had special tickets. But imagine on a public day? 

Anyway a magnificent aeroplane. 

You are remembering correctly. The Antonov 225 (minus Buran) DID attend Farnborough in 1990. It was a shame they didn't have the Buran with them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, F-32 said:

Это просто потрясающе!

Когда я жене показываю подобный комментарий, она просит продать модель хотя бы за миллион!!(((

3 hours ago, kiseca said:

Какой абсолютный монстр! Боюсь спросить, что это за масштаб? Я бы предположил, что 1/144, но детализация выглядит потрясающе для этого масштаба.

1:144 Spasibo

• Haha 1

Really great in all meanings of that word!

That was a great idea some years ago about a short production series of about ten AN-225 with western engines, unfortunately not done. 

I've seen her right above my house on August 2018

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1