Best 1/72 Scale Morane-Saulnier MS.406

2996 Victor

Hi all,

another one of those highly subjective questions, I know! But, in the opinion of BM, which is the best 1/72 scale kit for the Morane-Saulnier MS.406? I'm speaking in terms of accuracy, primarily, but also ease of build.

As far as I know, the AZ Models and Azur kits are the same moulds and are generally accurate and assemble well, the RS Models version is okay, Hobby Boss is quite challenging, Hasegawa/Hobby 2000 is generally a good shape but lacking in detail. Is that a fair summing-up?

Thoughts, please, folks!

Cheers,

Mark

25 minutes ago, VG 33 said:

Hello

So far I have built Hasegawa, Hobby Boss and Azur kits and I can say the Azur kit is the best. I cannot say anything about the RS kit.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

many thanks for that - it helps confirm what I'd begun to think from what I'd been reading.

Kind regards,

Mark

There are quite a few Hobbyboss MS.406 builds on BM - a Google search will find some, including how to fix its small deficiencies - i would not call it "challenging" but it depends on your reference frame. Your summary is about right. Even the Hase kit, probably the "worst" (apart from the old Frog kit) is quite a good rendition.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

There are quite a few Hobbyboss MS.406 builds on BM - a Google search will find some, including how to fix its small deficiencies - i would not call it "challenging" but it depends on your reference frame. Your summary is about right. Even the Hase kit, probably the "worst" (apart from the old Frog kit) is quite a good rendition.

Hi Ed,

many, many thanks: that's really good to know! I found a few of the builds on BM, maybe the builders found them a bit more challenging! But its good to know that they're all pretty good.

Kind regards,

Mark

Those are three beautiful builds, Patrick - thank you so much for sharing the pics! I'm planning on doing a selection of Vichy aircraft, the MS.406 either based on Madagascar or at Tong being on my "list".

Cheers,

Mark

Just now, MACALAIN said:

RS kits are in general, difficult to build.

Alain

Many thanks, Alain, that's good to know about! I struggle to finish anything as it is, so I can do with avoiding anything unduly difficult!

Kind regards,

Mark

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Many thanks, Alain, that's good to know about! I struggle to finish anything as it is, so I can do with avoiding anything unduly difficult!

Kind regards,

Mark

Welcome

Alain

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

RS kits are in general, difficult to build.

Alain

Can't comment on the MS.406,  but my RS Re.2005 was a pretty easy kit to build, better than most short run kits from other companies and even easier than several recent mainstream kits. The kit featured quite a lot of detail and this resulted in more work than say a Hasegawa Spitfire but overall even the many parts in the wheel wells had a pretty good fit

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Can't comment on the MS.406,  but my RS Re.2005 was a pretty easy kit to build, better than most short run kits from other companies and even easier than several recent mainstream kits. The kit featured quite a lot of detail and this resulted in more work than say a Hasegawa Spitfire but overall even the many parts in the wheel wells had a pretty good fit

Thanks, Giorgio - I'd quite like to build an Re.2005, so that's interesting to know! The RS MS.406 has some interesting schemes, particularly the French Indochina based aircraft.

So that's confused me :D

Cheers,

Mark

My direct experience of RS kits is that the older ones (eg Bu.131, Ar,76) have their problems but later ones (Ki.60, Ki.78) are no more difficult than the majority of other kits.  My latest buy is the Yale: the cockpit interior does indeed present problems but the main structure is fine.  No, it is not Tamiya standard, but few kits are.  I would add that few manufacturers have a 100% record, I have had more trouble with the Airfix Blenheim than with my RS kits (although I've yet to start the Jungmann!)

It may be worth checking this and other forums for comments on the specific kit you are interested in.  I gather that people have had trouble with the P-38, for example, but not noticed anything about the recent single-engined fighters.  There is a superb range available...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My last experience with RS kit was P 38 (the british one).

What a big Sh....

But P 38 is not a reference 

I prefer SH (especially the new onces, P40, Bf 109E) than RS 

Alain

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

My direct experience of RS kits is that the older ones (eg Bu.131, Ar,76) have their problems but later ones (Ki.60, Ki.78) are no more difficult than the majority of other kits.  My latest buy is the Yale: the cockpit interior does indeed present problems but the main structure is fine.  No, it is not Tamiya standard, but few kits are.  I would add that few manufacturers have a 100% record, I have had more trouble with the Airfix Blenheim than with my RS kits (although I've yet to start the Jungmann!)

It may be worth checking this and other forums for comments on the specific kit you are interested in.  I gather that people have had trouble with the P-38, for example, but not noticed anything about the recent single-engined fighters.  There is a superb range available...

1 hour ago, MACALAIN said:

What a big Sh....

Alain

Thanks, chaps, I've heard that the RS P-38 has a "reputation" (!), but as you say Graham, no manufacturer is perfect and the Airfix Blenheim has a bit of a reputation as well.

RS do seem to do quite an eclectic mix of subjects as well as the more mainstream, and there are a number of their range that I would be interested in having a go at. More research is neede just as you suggest, Graham!

Cheers,

Mark

58 minutes ago, MACALAIN said:

What a big Sh....

Alain

The most recent SH kits are indeed very good however they are not short run anymore so can't be compared to the products from RS. Looking at short runs only, my experience is that kits from the two companies made around the same time were comparable, with some very good ones and some very tricky ones from both sides.

I'd actually like to know more about the MS.406 myself, as it's a type I'd like to add to my collection. RS's Dewoitine 520 seems to have a good reputation, of course keeping in mind it's still a short run kit... now will the MS.406 be more like the Re-2005 or more like the P-38 ???

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The most recent SH kits are indeed very good however they are not short run anymore so can't be compared to the products from RS. Looking at short runs only, my experience is that kits from the two companies made around the same time were comparable, with some very good ones and some very tricky ones from both sides.

I'd actually like to know more about the MS.406 myself, as it's a type I'd like to add to my collection. RS's Dewoitine 520 seems to have a good reputation, of course keeping in mind it's still a short run kit... now will the MS.406 be more like the Re-2005 or more like the P-38 ???

I hope like Re 2005. 

Now because of the covid, you buy your models with E-shops, and cannot see what is in the box.

Alain

PS : it is not always true, like Dragon kits, they are looking good in the boxes, but are not necesserly nice to make.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

RS's Dewoitine 520 seems to have a good reputation

That's good to know! The D.520 is one of my all-time favourite aeroplanes and has been on my wanted list for a long time - I was planning on getting the Hasegawa/Hobby 2000 kit, but I believe its detail is a bit sparse inside.

Cheers,

Mark

Getting back to the MS.406, I wouldn't buy an RS one given the competition, but would buy the Morko-Morane.  I might buy an Me.309 if I couldn't get the Huma.  I think that's the best way to approach them, as offering interesting subjects not available elsewhere to modellers with at least basic experience and a willingness to accept that not all models fit like Lego.

Do not however look for fully detailed interiors!

As for the Re.2005, the one I did used a Frog Folgore fuselage with modified Supermodel Re.2000 wings - I think a spare Airfix Tiger tank wheel was used to lengthen the nose but it was a long time ago, and a different  modelling world.  I wanted one so I did it, but no doubt that the RS kit will be much easier than that!  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Getting back to the MS.406, I wouldn't buy an RS one given the competition, but would buy the Morko-Morane.  I might buy an Me.309 if I couldn't get the Huma.  I think that's the best way to approach them, as offering interesting subjects not available elsewhere to modellers with at least basic experience and a willingness to accept that not all models fit like Lego.

Do not however look for fully detailed interiors!

As for the Re.2005, the one I did used a Frog Folgore fuselage with modified Supermodel Re.2000 wings - I think a spare Airfix Tiger tank wheel was used to lengthen the nose but it was a long time ago, and a different  modelling world.  I wanted one so I did it, but no doubt that the RS kit will be much easier than that!  

Thanks, Graham: sound advice! The subject of the RS Indochina-based Vichy MS.406 is particularly interesting, but perhaps someone may have a spare decal sheet! Having said that, I'm interested in Operation Ironclad and also the Syrian Allied/Vichy conflicts, for which I'm grateful to have found my copy of Christopher Shores' "Dust Clouds in the Middle East". So there are plenty of suitable subjects!

As far as interiors go, as long as it's basically "right", I'm happy to either scratch additional details or add AM.

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

hoping that DoraWings will make MS 406 at 1/72 after the future 1/48 as it did for the MB 151/152/155

series.
Their MS 406 will be more accurate than many current plastic models of this airplane.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BS_w said:

hoping that DoraWings will make MS 406 at 1/72 after the future 1/48 as it did for the MB 151/152/155

series.
Their MS 406 will be more accurate than many current plastic models of this airplane.

I hope it won't be too soon - I've just ordered the Azur kit :D but it'll be a great kit, I've no doubt!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi,

I agree, that at the moment best kit is the Azur kit with different incarnations of it. Hobby-Boss is quite "Hasegawish" and can be furnished with different parts from Azur or RS extras. Not a bad kit as such.

RS is the only one to built from the box Swiss variant D3801. It has ejector exhausts and as these are separate pieces the ordinary Morane parts might be tricky to fit there nicely.

After Frog there were a Heller kit which had a great surface detailing for it time. Noyt a bad kit when it was new but now superceded by the newer ones.

And it was really a giant leap forward when compared to the Frog kit which was more like a generic single-seat in-line fighter than an MS 406.

If Dora-Wings is making an 1/72 Morane I'm eager to see it before I built my next one. What I have read about Lysander I have understood that they might be a bit tricky to built? Wishing to be wrong!

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1