"Sea Wolf" WW2 German U-boat Commander, Life Miniatures 1:10th

Here is the second big bust that I’ve finished, and I think it is an improvement from my previous figure.

Inspired by the amazing movie "Das Boot" this figure was sculpted by Korean artist Sang-Eon Lee. The resin cast, detail and overall quality is fantastic. I've painted it using abteilung 502 dense acrylic line and using a wet palette.

Hope you guys like it and all comment are welcomed.

bYbbNRd.jpg

w858gz5.jpg

HeOfUhe.jpg

WCIDMpr.jpg

mOsdufO.jpg

KApnsGH.jpg

F4twVtv.jpg

cheers

Jorge

• Like 21

Ha. I was just about to say that this is the second excellent bust on here tonight when I realised it was you again. I thought the styles were very similar.

The muted colours in this one give a very different feel to the figure. This is a sad and hopeless man foreseeing his end.

I get the impression that you were more relaxed about this bust. The brushstrokes are more obvious than Gagarin, I think. That's not a criticism just an observation. The shirt is lovely - I can smell it from here. Maybe he should be slightly dirty in the face? And sweaty? Life in a U-Boat was a pretty filthy experience I understand. The eyes, and face generally are so 'right' that I find I'm empathising with the poor lost soul. You've actually made my eyes go as moist as his. 

Abso-bloody-lutely gorgeous painting!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Ha. I was just about to say that this is the second excellent bust on here tonight when I realised it was you again. I thought the styles were very similar.

The muted colours in this one give a very different feel to the figure. This is a sad and hopeless man foreseeing his end.

I get the impression that you were more relaxed about this bust. The brushstrokes are more obvious than Gagarin, I think. That's not a criticism just an observation. The shirt is lovely - I can smell it from here. Maybe he should be slightly dirty in the face? And sweaty? Life in a U-Boat was a pretty filthy experience I understand. The eyes, and face generally are so 'right' that I find I'm empathising with the poor lost soul. You've actually made my eyes go as moist as his. 

Abso-bloody-lutely gorgeous painting!

Hello again, Bertie! really thanks you for commenting, again!

I'm glad the figure is expressing all those emotions through the colours, but I can't take the credit on that. I simply used the reference from the box!

Yes, I was more relaxed with this one, since I've broken the ice with the previous one. I personally think I did a better job on this one, It was certainly more complex colour wise. Maybe I should've done a better job with the blending of the strokes or it may be that I'm still working out the wet palette and my paint is still too thick? not sure?

The shirt was a challenge!! and I know it could've been better!...remember I've told you about my colour blindness 🤫? well, I've painted the whole shirt red and I was about to add the lines details when my daughter said, what are you doing!!! the shirt is blue!...😬

In regards to the face you are right!, the reference photo in the box clearly shows some stains and water dripping, but, I thought I wasn't there yet, in order to achieved a convincing effect, so I didn't even try! 

Thank you again for your kind words! I'm really glad I make you empathizing with the figure! that means I dind't do to bad!.

cheers

I actually think the looser brush strokes worked better for me. I’m trying to understand why. I’ve always admired the photorealistic painters of figures, especially Napoleonics. You know the kind of thing, with every hair in the beard a slightly different colour. But they only impact my rational brain, not the emotions. I wonder if there’s something in the relaxed painting experience you had, that relaxes the viewer and permits the emotional connection. 

I think of certain guitar players who are technically excellent but leave me cold and others who ‘sketch’ a tune and reduce me to tears apparently without effort. 

You realise we are in the realms of ART here. This is a little more complicated than modelling. 

5 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I actually think the looser brush strokes worked better for me. I’m trying to understand why. I’ve always admired the photorealistic painters of figures, especially Napoleonics. You know the kind of thing, with every hair in the beard a slightly different colour. But they only impact my rational brain, not the emotions. I wonder if there’s something in the relaxed painting experience you had, that relaxes the viewer and permits the emotional connection. 

I think of certain guitar players who are technically excellent but leave me cold and others who ‘sketch’ a tune and reduce me to tears apparently without effort. 

You realise we are in the realms of ART here. This is a little more complicated than modelling. 

Yes! I see your point and I totally agree. I like that more artistic approach with everything. All my scale models have weathering because I'm trying to tell a story as opposed to just do a correct perfect build.

Perhaps you could check my website: www.jarkmodels.com

cheers

13 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I just briefly visited your site. Wow! You are pretty darned good aren't you?

Hi Bertie, thanks for visiting! Well, I wouldn't say that, but I can say I absolutely loved this hobby!. I've been doing it since I was 8ish and since I've spent the whole of 2020 unemployed this was my daily job. It kept me sane and happy while looking for work...And I reckon when you find yourself with all this time to do what you love things start to shown. I'm always looking for something new, to learn new techniques and to challenge myself with different stuff. 

cheers mate!