Jump to content

Space Adventurer, 1/9th bust


Recommended Posts

Hi there,

 

This is my first proper painted figure. I've done others in the past, but always to complement another project, mostly pilots for 1/72nd or 1/48th aircraft or tank crew in 1/48th. So this is the first time in which the figure is the project itself.

Being the first, I wanted to pick something relatively simple but that looks good. This is a fantastic figure by the Czech company 2dreamers and is a 1/9 bust to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the first space orbit by Yuri Gagarin. (doesn't look much like him, but it's ok ;))

 

Overall, painting the figure was a great experience. I learned new techniques, I used a wet palette for the first time and I got to test the new abteilung 502 dense acrylic line. I hope you guys like it and please go ahead and share your thoughts!.

 

AUd3mE9.jpg


h0IumM2.jpg


OXFv705.jpg

 

cheers

 

Jorge

Edited by jarkmodels
text editing
  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, jarkmodels said:

This is my first proper painted figure.

 
And very well done, I would say. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jorge, you have done a marvellous job of painting that bust. It's really really good and I'm a little bit envious - ha! 

 

It's not an easy choice for a first venture into large scale painting, is it? The face sitting deep behind the helmet and its visor needs a gynaecologist's touch to get into all the recesses. You did a good neat job though. The eyes, with their reflections, show deep emotions, maybe relief at getting back to earth in one piece. The skin tones are perhaps a little pink but hell, it's hot in a space suit! I like the shading of the space suit too, orange to red to brown, without straying into pink which wouldn't have worked at all. Very neat details around the hoses and cables. And you highlighted the curves on the helmet, didn't you? 

 

I wondered for a while about the wisdom of taking the suit colours around the sides and back of the bust. It made me think that he was in a space straight jacket with no arms. I think that's just the angle of the first photo though. On his right side, which we see more clearly, I can see that you went for a more abstract blend of a darker colour and that makes sense to me. 

 

It's just superb man. Outstanding! Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Jorge, you have done a marvellous job of painting that bust. It's really really good and I'm a little bit envious - ha! 

 

It's not an easy choice for a first venture into large scale painting, is it? The face sitting deep behind the helmet and its visor needs a gynaecologist's touch to get into all the recesses. You did a good neat job though. The eyes, with their reflections, show deep emotions, maybe relief at getting back to earth in one piece. The skin tones are perhaps a little pink but hell, it's hot in a space suit! I like the shading of the space suit too, orange to red to brown, without straying into pink which wouldn't have worked at all. Very neat details around the hoses and cables. And you highlighted the curves on the helmet, didn't you? 

 

I wondered for a while about the wisdom of taking the suit colours around the sides and back of the bust. It made me think that he was in a space straight jacket with no arms. I think that's just the angle of the first photo though. On his right side, which we see more clearly, I can see that you went for a more abstract blend of a darker colour and that makes sense to me. 

 

It's just superb man. Outstanding! Thank you.

Hi Bertie, thank you very much for taking the time to look and comment. I really appreciate this level of constructive criticism, best way to improve!

 

Yes, I consider this one to be my first real figure painting experience. Before I was just doing some quick rushly painted ones to add some detail into another projects  (and the results were pretty average).

 

Now, don't think I've painted the face when inside the helmet, no way! I've painted the head first and then I glue it to the body. The helmet was the last thing I've added together with all the small details (cables, hoses etc)

 

Yes, the skin tone are in fact a bit pink...that is clearly my mistake for a very good reason, I'm colour blind! (but let's keep that secret between us only 😉) So I rely most of the time on my daughter's eyes to correct me, but sometimes I still get things wrong and is too late to fix them! The suit turned out to look ok, perhaps some of the highlights are a bit too emphasised? but overall all I like the colour variations, and yes I did painted the curved highlights on the helmet, otherwise it would've looked too flat and boring with one shade of white. And regarding the back and sides, I did painted them with a much darker tone.

 

Thanks again, Bertie!

 

cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You’re colour blind. How interesting. I wonder if you see shades better than a ‘normally’ sighted person, even if hues are a problem. 
 

And no, the highlights on the suit are, to me, ok. They could even be brighter on the shoulders and the upward facing surfaces I think, without losing any feeling of reality. 
 

I see now that the bust is a kit of parts. D’oh. I was a bit slow there. 
 

Tomorrow I’ll post some of my figures for you to constructively criticise. Believe me, you will find many errors  to comment on. Lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Tomorrow I’ll post some of my figures for you to constructively criticise. Believe me, you will find many errors  to comment on. Lol

I'm looking forward to see your work!, Not sure, though I'm really qualify to give you much constructive criticism, but I'll do my best!

 

About being colour blind...yes, it's weird cause, I'm an architect and I work in interior design...my whole life I've interested and involved with colour whether is with my hobbies, drawings and paintings or through my work...and It may give me an advantage or at least let's say a "different point of view"...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jarkmodels said:

I'm looking forward to see your work!, Not sure, though I'm really qualify to give you much constructive criticism, but I'll do my best!

 

About being colour blind...yes, it's weird cause, I'm an architect and I work in interior design...my whole life I've interested and involved with colour whether is with my hobbies, drawings and paintings or through my work...and It may give me an advantage or at least let's say a "different point of view"...


I read that colour blind soldiers are good at finding camouflaged enemies because they see past the colours and notice the errors of texture and light. 
 

Architect. That’s not a surprise. It had to be something artistic. and technical too, I guess. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jarkmodels said:

I'm looking forward to see your work!, Not sure, though I'm really qualify to give you much constructive criticism, but I'll do my best!

I’m at the same point in my figures as you. Just started doing serious figures unrelated to a tank or aircraft. I’ve studied a little art history but that was ages ago. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bertie Psmith said:

I’m at the same point in my figures as you. Just started doing serious figures unrelated to a tank or aircraft. I’ve studied a little art history but that was ages ago. 

Alright then! In that case, happy to comment!

 

cheers mate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is really very nice work, a bit pink on face but only if you really look. I'm also a bit tentative on the highlights and end up turn  the contrasts down but then I try to do my own thing and not copy an particular type of figure painting.

 

What are you doing next? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If this is your first large scale bust, then colour me impressed. (and not a little jealous)

 

The detail on the sculpt is quite good and you have managed to bring out every detail.

I don't see his skin as too pink, slightly flushed perhaps, but he's been stuck in a Russian pressure suit for a couple of hours under ( I should think), a considerable amount of stress.

 

The eyes are particularly nice. Eyes are difficult to get right but I think you have succeeded.

 

Well done sir.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

If this is your first large scale bust, then colour me impressed. (and not a little jealous)

 

The detail on the sculpt is quite good and you have managed to bring out every detail.

I don't see his skin as too pink, slightly flushed perhaps, but he's been stuck in a Russian pressure suit for a couple of hours under ( I should think), a considerable amount of stress.

 

The eyes are particularly nice. Eyes are difficult to get right but I think you have succeeded.

 

Well done sir.

 

Hi Tzulscha, thank you for looking and commenting. I appreciate the feedback.

About the eyes, I've simply followed the free tutorial pdf's available in the Life Miniatures site. They are amazing!

 

You can check download them HERE

 

cheers

 

PS. Once I've finished the Space Adventurer I've painted THIS ONE, which I think is better, would love to get your opinion too 😉

 

Jorge

Edited by jarkmodels
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jarkmodels said:

PS. Once I've finished the Space Adventurer I've painted THIS ONE, which I think is better, would love to get your opinion too 😉

 

Jorge

I know, I actually saw that one first and left a like.

I didn't want to get too effusive all at once.  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...