Was a ‘Sundowner’… now a ‘Silver King’ - ##finished##

Dansk

13 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Thanks for that Paul, I can at least start removing the raised detail from the parts where the decals go.  Then it will get some Mr Surfacer black 1500 sprayed on.

I know what you mean about how good the Tamiya moulding of the cockpit parts are, but even with the most careful painting I don't think that I could get it to look as good as the 3D decals.

Hold your horses with panting, when applied my quinta looks a lot lighter and bluer than xf-19 over black

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Hold your horses with panting, when applied my quinta looks a lot lighter and bluer than xf-19 over black

Thanks for this information, this is the problem with pre-painted decals and p/e instrument panels.  My 3D decals for the Tamiya Phantom still have not arrived, but I do have a set of the Quinta  3D decals for the ZM F-4C, I took a photo of them to compare them with the Eduard p/e ones for the Academy F-4B.  Perhaps I'll try a grey primer under the XF-19, see how that looks. :idea:

IMG_1708

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dansk said:

Give it a shot bob i’m gonna add a drop of blue to mine also

When I was trying to get the correct shade of blue/grey for the cockpit of my Tamiya Tomcat, they had recommended XF-19 but it didn't look like some photos that I was using as reference, tried lots of different shades adding more blue.  I then added a thin coat to the p/e so that it matched the rest of the cockpit, will probably do the same with the Quinta decals, if they eventually arrive.  The email from Quinta to say they had been posted was dated the 17/09/21.

Edited by Retired Bob
spelling error
  • Like 1

Paul, I have been trying various grey paints to see which looks closest to the Quinta decals.  As you said the XF-19 was not blue enough, I found that USN Light Ghost Grey FS36375 had the blue tint and looks very close to the Quinta panel colour.  I'm loading up the airbrush today.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2021 at 06:38, Dansk said:

Haven’t done anything on this since last time.

i need to adjust all the cockpit hues but I did manage to spend money…

Those are the same seatbelts that are also boxed by Eduard. Only difference is that the etch is painted. However, the Eduard instructions recommend that you crumple the belts between your fingers to make them more flexible and lifelike. I used them on my F-4C build in the VietNam GB and all I found was that the ink rubbed off and they tore! 

Easy enough to fix with some copier paper painted with well thinned acrylics in the colours you want and then trimmed to width with a scalpel:

ZM%20F-4C%20(2%20of%2011).jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Greg B said:

copier paper painted with well thinned acrylics in the colours you want and then trimmed to width with a scalpel:

That's a method that sounds promising. I guess the acrylic binder would turn the paper into a fibre reinforced plastic. Thanks Greg

gosh it took me until page 4 to see any work on this one....gosh you guys can rabble on!!!!  :bleh:

Plus of course most of those pictures on the last pages were there just to tease me...... my Quinta set still hasn't showed up!!! :crying: God dam AusPost!!!! :rant:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gosh it took me until page 4 to see any work on this one....gosh you guys can rabble on!!!!  :bleh:

Plus of course most of those pictures on the last pages were there just to tease me...... my Quinta set still hasn't showed up!!! :crying: God dam AusPost!!!! :rant:

Thats a shame with that delay on yours rich. Most of the world seemed to have recieved theirs by now.
Maybe the postman got fed up of delivering all these truck loads of AM you always get.

• Haha 3

Here’s some photographic evidence that I have actually done something rather than just wafffle in these 5 pages 🙃

That quinta stuff is realllly nice and behaves so well, sliding of the backing film and settling with PA glue.

Think i’m gonna add some matt powders to them to bring down the glare next.

51501507170_275e1f9a61_h.jpg

51501296159_bd6b1ecb08_h.jpg

nose gear bay is in progress too!

51501509880_48b16a0a25_h.jpg

• Like 7

On 21/09/2021 at 20:43, Dansk said:

Think i’m gonna add some matt powders to them to bring down the glare next.

I was thinking about a coat of matt varnish to remove the shine then gloss over the dials to restore the glass effect.

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I was thinking about a coat of matt varnish to remove the shine then gloss over the dials to restore the glass effect.

i did the same bob its much better

plus a hint of weathering powder

• Thanks 1

I’ve been slowly attacking the phantom.

Here’s the cockpit tub when mattified…

51528915024_142d4eb203_h.jpg

And here’s some work on the exhaust section…

51528186226_4d8080048c_h.jpg

51528427023_5a72faefeb_h.jpg

51528900939_422c7f0431_h.jpg

51528186161_7ce74e6cd4_h.jpg

51529105260_26223e463d_b.jpg

and also some structural construction has been happening too…

51528186231_a8197a8c24_b.jpg

51529105320_a9e8034d3d_b.jpg

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Really nice work Paul.

The cockpit looks much better with the matt coat applied, a great improvement over the shiny finish.

The engine exhaust area is great, very nice painting and the way that Tamiya have engineered the kit makes for a really good assembly.

Thx mate 🙏

it is lovely engineering this kit except the exhaust petals comprising of 5 circumferential pieces needing to align precisely, which i fear i may have fluffed. 

• Like 1

Nice progress Paul, I really like the colours you have achieved with the turbine exit, flame holder and exhaust duct. Largely hidden but very satisfying to get it right.

I've started cutting some plastic on mine so hope to post some pictures soon.

Ray

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

gosh that cockpit looks nice!!

my set is still being held hostage by Auspost!! :rant:

Good god man...you have been having some crap luck with them of late.  :(