Was a ‘Sundowner’… now a ‘Silver King’ - ##finished##

Dansk

• Dansk changed the title to Was a ‘Sundowner’…

I am fussy :) I think we can easily get to 6 pages before plastic has been cut 😂

what about that original shot that i loved - the J - is that possible to create from a B kit? Not sure of the differences they look the same to me.

As an alternative i might make a silver king B from the furball set but weather it like that J frame image. Makes sense?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dansk said:

As an alternative i might make a silver king B from the furball set but weather it like that J frame image. Makes sense?

This was what I had in mind when I saw the sheet.  And certainly an acceptable option...especially if you like the markings.

You could make a J out of a B, but you would need to research what the major changes were.  Pits, wings, tail pipes, and possibly stabs (slotted?) are the big things that come to mind.  And I'm sure there are other minor differences depending how deep in the weeds you wanted to get with all the little bumps and aerials.  I'm not super familiar with all the differences off the top of my head.  I know they all look like Phantoms, but that Phantom Phreaks could pick out the differences between the models in half a second.  :lol:  It'd definitely be less work and money (assuming you'd be buying AM pits, pipes, & stabs (if needed) to go the option of the B sheet.  Wing mods you would probably have to scratch, which might not be too bad if it's only the reinforcement plates over the MLG...but I'm not sure if there were other differences in wings.

*Edit* Craig mentioned the whole wing being thicker...that's definitely a ton more work and probably not practical.  Thinking on that, the MLG & wheels are different to accommodate wider tires.  Converting to an N would be a more suitable conversion, as they were converted Bs in real life...but that doesn't help with the markings you are looking at.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the super advice and guidance fellas. That sounds like we all agree its way beyond my skill set to get into the messy world of variant adapting :) Let’s go with one of the Silver King B options from furball and weather and load it like the J photo 💪👍 

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Thanks for the super advice and guidance fellas. That sounds like we all agree its way beyond my skill set to get into the messy world of variant adapting :) Let’s go with one of the Silver King B options from furball and weather and load it like the J photo 💪👍 

An excellent choice Paul, and it only took 4 pages!😄

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, helios16v said:

What else you got so we can stretch this out for 2 more before you nip your first sprue?

Ha ha ha

39 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

An excellent choice Paul, and it only took 4 pages!😄

haha

i was wondering before i rush in to cutting any plastic if I could get some advice on home insurance from you guys for a few pages, would you recommend a fully comprehensive coverage or…

:penguin:

• Haha 2

• Dansk changed the title to Was a ‘Sundowner’… now a ‘Silver King’
1 hour ago, helios16v said:

What else you got so we can stretch this out for 2 more before you nip your first sprue?

You could always start to add pictures of your dinner, that should be good for a page or two (please don't)

Pappy

• Haha 4

On 01/09/2021 at 18:14, Dansk said:

I love this too (don’t know if its a B) but the shot is lo res and its difficult to copy the detail… 

Yes, it's a F-4B, the Marines mainly operated in ground support from the mainland bases so lots of options for wide variety of weapon loadouts. :winkgrin: (I've been removing the pour stubs from some Eduard resin Zuni rocket launchers and TERs)

• Thanks 1

Ta daaaaa!
Work has started and we didnt even make it to page 5.
I need to slow down a bit.

it’s a really big box…

51422259643_1b4ed02b02_h.jpg

with the biggest markings sheet i’ve ever seen.:shocked:

51422767699_6dd68a1e5a_h.jpg

Gonna start up traditionally with the cockpit and ready it for the beautiful quinta set.

51422259683_807d0f477b_h.jpg

I have ordered some AM seatbelts - I think I will skip these quita belts, not sure about them.

heres the proof!
A hole has been drilled and 3 parts glued together with the relief shaved off the facia of one of those parts.

51421258387_0ec93e9654_h.jpg

phew, I feel dizzy after that marathon session. I need a lie down.

• Like 7

Cheers craig.

Well not much exciting to see today, but all the cockpit parts have been sanded down flat where appropriate to recieve the quinta set.

If I built this kit again I perhaps would skip the set, the kits cockpit detail is super.

51425219070_a22ad5a406_h.jpg

It’s all had a coat of mr surfacer black primer now also.

51425009039_18b8ed6ca6_h.jpg

the fit is sublime when you start sticking things together.

but theres some oddities in the instructions, the cockpit building is early on as is traditional but then a whole bunch of that cockpit construction is re-introduced near the end of the instructions. I think its just good to spot this early so you can paint it all the same colour at the same time.

the seats are also late on.

see here: stage 57 you’re working on the aft cockpit components

51424234326_dc72928393_h.jpg

also something to note is that you have to make a very fundamental decision at stage 2.

recessed or extended refueling probe.

51424234201_1a2039cbc0_h.jpg

i flipped a coin and went for extended.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Dansk said:

oddities in the instructions,

They want to check who reads the instructions right through before starting. lol.

I used to read them and then make up my own build sequence, now I read them and forget what I'm even supposed to be doing. 👴

On 03/09/2021 at 21:02, Dansk said:

Gonna start up traditionally with the cockpit and ready it for the beautiful quinta set.

That's what I want to do but I'm still waiting for my 3D decals to arrive. :wtf:

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That's what I want to do but I'm still waiting for my 3D decals to arrive. :wtf:

Should i photograph my quinta instructions so you know which parts to sand down/remove in the cockpit?

13 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Should i photograph my quinta instructions so you know which parts to sand down/remove in the cockpit?

Thanks Paul that would be very helpful, do they give a colour call out to match the cockpit grey that they use on the front and rear instrument panels?

Tamiya recommend XF-19 for the cockpit area, but remember that the inside areas of the cockpit sides have a grey padding fitted, there are good photos in Danny Coremans book, page 91.

Bob

9 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

do they give a colour call out to match the cockpit grey that they use on the front and rear instrument panels?

No, and it's a lot lighter than my bottle of XF-19. Perhaps the paints vary, perhaps the decals vary? Dansk, you got your set ages before I did, maybe different batches? (I also primed black)

• Confused 1

Thanks for that Paul, I can at least start removing the raised detail from the parts where the decals go.  Then it will get some Mr Surfacer black 1500 sprayed on.

I know what you mean about how good the Tamiya moulding of the cockpit parts are, but even with the most careful painting I don't think that I could get it to look as good as the 3D decals.