Was a ‘Sundowner’… now a ‘Silver King’ - ##finished##

Dansk

Spoiler

I had no intention of joining this until Tamiya and @trickyrich unknowingly tempted me. what am I doing i surely don’t have time for this :banghead:

So, another Tamiya to add to the growing list…

The last Phantom stgb I entered failed miserably so I am determined to make this one a good result.

I’m choosing to to go OOB on this and using the kit ‘sundowners’ scheme.

51379692817_658bbf6613_h.jpg

however. To spice the proceedings up a bit I’m trying something a little new.

I recently bought a cricut and after some fettling have been making t-shirt designs with it with and for my kids with quite succesful results I think.

spacer.png

51379771887_4df32485d9_h.jpg

🙃😊

So, I intend to make my own masks and paint a bunch of the markings, (the sundowners scheme on the tail will be perfect for this) the nose sharkmouth and other difficult markings I’ll use the kit decals.

So it’ll be new and fun for me in this respect.

looking forward to experiencing this universally declared brilliant kit.

Just gotta wrap up the dual F-16 stgb. 
yay! maybe the world’s best kit is on it’s way :yahoo:

• Like 13

Who me!!!!  :whistle:     :D

resistance is futile when it comes to this model. I'm dying to see how your Circuit work goes, I have a Curio here which I've been meaning to teach myself how to use for very much the same reasons.

• Like 1

Great project!!

Just one question...how about paint masks for a regular line jet.

Like the two middle ones...

spacer.png

Unfortunately I have no idea where I found the photo and who made it. It's been on my drive for some time.

Alex

• Like 2

@coneheadff I suspect that picture may have been more of a scheme transition period as opposed to line vs. CAG.  208 & 211 would've been "line" jets.  Historically the CAG birds are x00 (200 in this case) and the skipper are typically x01 if he is a pilot.  If the skipper is a WSO/RIO/ECMO it's not uncommon to see the skipper's name on the CAG bird as well.  The big visual differences between line & CAG birds happened more w/ the transition to the TPS schemes.  While the CAG birds still frequently had some additional markings, the overall scheme/tail markings were generally pretty uniform (there's always exceptions out there).

• Thanks 1

Hi Dansk,

like all of us, you can resist everything, except temptation...

Don't I know the feeling.

JR

• Haha 2

Thanks chaps, I’ll show a detailed progress with the cricut work when i get there.
It’s a really fun machine and the software is quite straight forward, although I like to create the vector artwork in Adobe illustrator and import it.

I’ll show you when I get there.

Can anyone suggest interesting loadouts for this aircraft? 
I recently finished a skyhawk with what felt like 3 million mk 81’s on, so I’d prefer to steer clear of those, but it would be nice to add something a bit interesting, even non-symmetrical always holds visual interest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

If you can convince the boss that I need to have one then I will get one!

You have a.....boss!

Go on the Jadlam site, their Tamiya F-4B is down to £81 with free p&p.  Tell your boss I said it was a necessary purchase. :wicked:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Sorry for hijacking your thread again Dansk, but for those who like a bit subdued Sundowner markings. It seems that someone has heard my wish...

A subdued Sundowner marking? that's like having a party with no music ! :whistle: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 8/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, Dansk said:

recently finished a skyhawk with what felt like 3 million mk 81’s on, so I’d prefer to steer clear of those, but it would be nice to add something a bit interesting, even non-symmetrical always holds visual interest.

I was thinking about the portable air starter that could be carried on a pylon instead of a tank. I’m not sure it’s asymmetrical enough though. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I was thinking about the portable air starter that could be carried on a pylon instead of a tank. I’m not sure it’s asymmetrical enough though. 

What is that Bertie? i tried googling to no avail.

Would a B phantom carry TER’s and laser guided bombs or is that too futuristic?

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

What is that Bertie? i tried googling to no avail.

Would a B phantom carry TER’s and laser guided bombs or is that too futuristic?

It was a small gas turbine engine which provided a large amount of low pressure air to blow the F-4B engines up to speed for starting. I can't find a picture of the American one but here's a link to the Royal Navy equivalent.  About a third of the way down the page

I'm sure I have read that the USN and particularly the Marines had a similar pod mounted system for operations off the carrier. My reference book has mentioned it, in passing, when referring to the USAF F-4C which had a cartridge starter instead. I can't now find a photo or the text! No index in the book!

y4mYNikD3Ga9dOly5LDgs220Xxr1m9QGeBkWMk3E

And there's our MER! I just received mine.

y4mcxEM7AHsLkFDvrszkzhFrLapM23t89KBqAsdn

I never knew about those Bertie thats really novel and special.
i like although it might be tricky to source and could be visually mistaken for a tank though 

i just found this… that cp-105 starter pod is the baby right?

I like the napalm bombs too but not sure mine would carry them?

spacer.png

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:28 PM, modelling minion said:

I must be one of the few modellers who doesn't own one of these kits yet!

..... and your excuse for not having one of these yet is?????? :fight:

• Haha 3