Difference between Phantom F-4J and C

LOX

Hi all.

A question, I recently got from my dad an F-4J phantom,  from tamiya in scale 1/32. Complete with a resin cockpit set.

I always wanted to build a phantom ... but the scat phantom from Robin Olds, and that is a F-4C.

Now, except from the obvious visible difference on the nose cone, what are the other differences between the J and C variants. Is it just the nose cone that is different and is there a conversion set available. 

If the rest of the differences between the two is some rivets more or less, it may be reasonable to change the nose section.

Or are the differences so big is it just better to wait and buy a F-4C.

thanks.

Edited by LOX
Title more informative

• LOX changed the title to Difference between Phantom F-4J and C

Apart from the radome difference, the F-4C has flight controls in the rear cockpit, with lots of other small differences in the cockpit, a different system for refueling in flight (the J has a probe on the right front fuselage, the C has a door on the spine instead), the J has catapult bridle hooks under the fuselage near the wingroots, the C doesn't. C's started with the same pointy inner weapon pylons, but later on the got a different, more rounded type. The C had the earlier type J-79 engines, with the shorter exhaust petals, the J had the later type. ( I think Tamiya's exhausts are undersized anyway).

These are the more obvious differences, there is some smaller stuff that I can't think of right now.

• Like 1

I suspect there are hundreds of minor differences however depending on your skill level, many of these can be remedied and most of them wont be noticed.

The refuel probe for example could be sanded out from the side and rescribed on the spine and the slots could possibly be removed from the stabs. 

The only heavy lifting that I can see would be the addition of the right side console in the rear cockpit and I suspect slightly different bang seats?

• Like 1

Ok thank you guys for the response.

The J and C variants have quite a bit of subtle, but noticeable differences it seems. Some of them could be changed relative easy ... not sure what to do here.

The goal is to make a competition model so it can not be half and half, I am going to let this marinate for a while.