1/48 Tamiya F-4B, VMFA-323 'Death Rattlers', Chu Lai, 1967. Finished 25/11.

DaveJL

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good start Dave.

Looking forward to seeing what Tamiya come out with next in the family, besides the obvious N.

Cheers mate! I'm hoping for a D and the much loved FG.1 and FGR.2 🙃

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I can see a C/D in the future but I wouldn't bet on them doing the British versions. I would like a D too and an RF-4C.

23 minutes ago, helios16v said:

C/D is a guaranteed money maker.  Nobody can keep them in stock after a run...and what people pay for them second-hand only drives home the fact of demand.

Looking at the layout of the tooling, I'd say a C/D is next in line! Then there'll probably be the J and N.

The Spey powered jets would be great but would require a pretty hefty change in tooling. One can hope :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I want an RF-4E... I want an RF-4E..... I want an RF-4E!!!

Will hold my breath until they release one!!! 🤢

Well lets hope it's the next release, wouldn't want you to run out of breath or anything :lol:

On 9/30/2021 at 8:46 AM, trickyrich said:

I want an RF-4E... I want an RF-4E..... I want an RF-4E!!!

Will hold my breath until they release one!!! 🤢

Maybe you should pre-order your quinta rf-4e set right now rich then it might arrive in time for the tamiya kit launch in 2029. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I know i have to re-order the Quinta set again for my F-4B, Auspost is still holding the one I ordered hostage....gosh knows if I'll see it again!

Having a few issues Rich? :lol:

On 03/10/2021 at 08:28, trickyrich said:

I know i have to re-order the Quinta set again for my F-4B, Auspost is still holding the one I ordered hostage....gosh knows if I'll see it again!

You know it'll only turn up after you've ordered and paid for another one

• Like 1

A bit more done. Cockpit was sprayed Dark Gull Grey and details picked out before I tore into the Quinta set. As I've mentioned, this is my first experience with this product and all I can say is wow! Attached with some Zap canopy glue, the details really bring the cockpit alive:

51554641978_6f28c1fbf8_b.jpg

51554641598_c7d2fdffb5_b.jpg

51555126104_639011c64b_b.jpg

51555125634_4e663b9f7b_b.jpg

51554640763_3d33bb03f0_b.jpg

Fuselage halves were also done:

51554404576_36256de08d_b.jpg

Then the cockpit and engine assemblies were popped in and the fuselage closed up:

51554643988_ffb88823fa_b.jpg

51553612137_bd0e4d80e4_b.jpg

Next up should be the intakes.

Stay safe

Dave

• Like 10

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Tamiya F-4B, VMFA-323 'Death Rattlers', Chu Lai, 1967. Update 05/10.
53 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks mate! I'm very impressed with the Quinta details.

Nice work on the cockpit Dave, I agree the Quinta 3D decals are superb, better than the Eduard 3D Space decals.

9 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Nice work on the cockpit Dave, I agree the Quinta 3D decals are superb, better than the Eduard 3D Space decals.

Thanks mate! Could be the go to now over the standard Eduard etch :lol:

48 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

Great looking cockpit Dave!

Which paint brand did you use? Looks like a good match to the Quinta grey

Cheers Alex. Cockpit was primed with Tamiya Sky Grey and then MRP Dark Gull Grey over the top.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Cheers Alex. Cockpit was primed with Tamiya Sky Grey and then MRP Dark Gull Grey over the top.

The ZM Navy Phantom kits quote Dark Gull Grey as the cockpit colour, I thought it looked too dark (Vallejo) so after some colour testing I used Light Ghost Grey but that does not match either the Quinta or Eduard cockpit decals.   Eduard have started producing 3D decals, they call them "Space" and come with p/e seat belts, but they are still making their p/e cockpit sets.  I got a set of these Space 3D decals from Hannants to try but I don't think they are as good as the Quinta decals, I will post some comparison photos in my thread at the weekend.

18 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

The ZM Navy Phantom kits quote Dark Gull Grey as the cockpit colour, I thought it looked too dark (Vallejo) so after some colour testing I used Light Ghost Grey but that does not match either the Quinta or Eduard cockpit decals.   Eduard have started producing 3D decals, they call them "Space" and come with p/e seat belts, but they are still making their p/e cockpit sets.  I got a set of these Space 3D decals from Hannants to try but I don't think they are as good as the Quinta decals, I will post some comparison photos in my thread at the weekend.

I always find it impossible to match up the etch colours, even black! The MRP Dark Gull Grey isn't quite perfect either but for all you see of it, it will suffice!

I managed to get a little more done over the last couple of nights. Wings just fell on, a few other bits popped on then I was able to add the nose cone.

51562643099_dc9fbf1c6e_b.jpg

51562642489_b7d3ff9d09_b.jpg

Great fit, but do have an ever so slight step on one side of the nose. Some gentle sanding should cure it.

51562877550_bd5bef2dea_b.jpg

I also assembled the tail fin and test fitted the Flying Leathernecks early fin cap. Fits great, but like @trickyrich, I've found the rear isn't quite right:

51562196608_dd10250013_b.jpg

You can see the angle of it compared to the rudder. Not great for a fairly pricey part. I'm not skilled enough to attempt to fix it, but luckily Hypersonic Models are close to releasing their early fin cap so I'll get one of those ordered and hope that it arrives in time!!

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 3

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Tamiya F-4B, VMFA-323 'Death Rattlers', Chu Lai, 1967. Update 07/10.

How disappointing - that Leathernecks piece is not even a close fit, what where they thinking?

edit: they should make the whole tail as one piece to slot onto the tamiya fuse. No cutting and joining then.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveJL said:

I also assembled the tail fin and test fitted the Flying Leathernecks early fin cap. Fits great, but like @trickyrich, I've found the rear isn't quite right:

After Rich @trickyrich found the problem with the Flying Leathernecks fin cap I tried to thin a spare early fin cap from a ZM kit.  Trying to get it thinned sufficiently over the whole fin cap turned out to be near impossible so I reverted to removing the bumps from the Tamiya part, not easy either but it looks better.  Another problem with the scale, or does it have a skinny fin?  I tried fitting some Master, turned brass pitot tubes.  The lower one is doable with careful drilling but the upper probe is the same width as the fin!  I will have to put some primer on to see if I have "got away with it"  :shrug: