Albatros DVa

Hello all. I have just completed a rather vintage kit. Oh, I had better not say that because it was made the same year as me! This is the venerable Airfix Albatros DVa of 1957. It was an ideal candidate for a subject in the 'Less than a Tenner' Group Build on this fine Forum. The build log is here if you are interested:

I originally decided to do it out of the box, but I am sure a lot of you know where that leads. I used a magazine article as my inspiration (SAM Publications Build and Convert vol 4 - Beyond the Box, by Mike Grant) and did a few modifications to my model along those lines. I was allowed to use some spares from another kit, but that was only two guns and a propellor. I re-scribed the panel lines and added an interior and used Wingnut Wings instructions for their version of this aircraft for extra references, modified the upper wing cutout, replaced the radiator (and added one underneath the top wing), added a pipe from the radiator to the engine, and also the control horns for the elevator. I tried a trick for getting the varnished ply effect. I painted the fuselage Sand, and then coated it with Humbrol 1322 Clear Orange. I would not recommend thinning that paint with Naphtha Thinners! I got away with it, but only afterwards did I find out I should have used Cellulose Thinners! The Red then needed painting over the wood effect, but had to show the underlying colour too. I tried. Rigging was InfiniModels Fine Rigging Line, 70 Denier.

Anyway, here is the result. It is an aircraft flown by Manfred von Richthofen, France 1917, and the markings were those supplied in the kit.

DSCN7740

DSCN7741

DSCN7742

DSCN7743

DSCN7744

DSCN7745

DSCN7746

DSCN7747

DSCN7748

• Like 19

Hi,

excellent oldie and outstanding rigging job!

It must have been fun on such a microscopic model.

Congrats.

JR

@jean and @TheOxley, thanks for those kind comments, and to everyone else for the views and likes.

It was certainly a fun build, and I am currently going through quite a few 'vintage' kits and enjoying them.

All the best, 

Ray

• Like 1

Very nice work on that old kit. I remember building it when I was a child. Enormous things can be done with dedication and some after-market details. And it's a lot of fun as your model proves.

• Thanks 1

Gorgeous! I've got one of these in the stash, along with a Pegasus one with white metal bits - plan is to try and combine the best bits of them into one kit. I know where I'll be coming back to for inspiration! 

• Thanks 1