VJ-Day tribute to my dad

On 8/16/2021 at 8:01 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Hi John, thankfully Uncle Peter survived his crash, though he was badly burnt.became a POW for a short while and eventually rejoined his Squadron in Germany. 

Glad you got the ORBs. They make really interesting reading! and I did the same as you reconstructed his sorties. I often ponder what he and others would think of our efforts as modellers and researchers? Probably 'shoot us a line ' about other sorties but more likely feel gratitude that someone keeps their sacrifices and experiences alive. 

I dont wish to hijack your thread but if you would like to see my Tribute build its this thread.. think you can just search for it?

A Tribute build 1:32 Hawker Tempest V NV-728 "US-X" 56 Punjab Squadron - April 1945. My uncle's aircraft - Sgt PC Brown

Its a pity your Dad is not still with us. He and his generation were some very special people. I for one would thank him for his Service!

Kind Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the heads up, A  very fine tribute with lots of detail. All good stuff, I was interested to see the photo of your uncle post war with the scars from his burns, I must say he wasn't as bad as I thought, was he treated by the Germans in the POW camp? 

John

On 21/08/2021 at 12:30, canberra kid said:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the heads up, A  very fine tribute with lots of detail. All good stuff, I was interested to see the photo of your uncle post war with the scars from his burns, I must say he wasn't as bad as I thought, was he treated by the Germans in the POW camp? 

John

Hi John. Thank you. I enjoyed doing the build and the research and glad you enjoyed it too.

Yes the Germans treated him very well I believe as a POW. The Bomb Line was advancing rapidly in the sector he was flying over. . He was repatriated very quickly and got the right treatment in British hospitals.  He had a lot of burns over his trunk ,legs and arms also.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1