VJ-Day tribute to my dad

Lovely "Jug" indeed. I'm impressed and I'm sure your Dad would be too! I am always very interested in Tribute builds. I did my own  1:32 scale tribute for my Uncle Peter's Tempest V which he crashed in Germany in April 1945. 

Your Dad was part of the 'forgotten' forces in the Far East . You doing this tribute is a great way to keep his and his comrades memory alive. well Done! It's fabulous you have his medals and his flying log book! 

You might know you can find out more about his Squadron from the ORB for his Squadron from the National Archives? These are amazing documents and can tell you a lot more about Squadron life. Please PM me and I'll  be very happy to direct you in the right direction to get access to this?

Kind Regards, 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A wonderful model and display.

I love the r/h page of his logbook there: black mark for dropping a bomb on his own strip and especially 'Instrument formation flying? - just about'  That can't have been easy.. 😀

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2021 at 6:46 PM, AliGauld said:

That's a wonderful tribute.

My Dad was in Hong Kong at the time and this part of the conflict seems to be forgotten regularly and it should not be.

Thanks for keeping the memory going.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, my dad was always a bit miffed to say the least that what went on in the far east was very much the forgotten war.

John

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Lovely "Jug" indeed. I'm impressed and I'm sure your Dad would be too! I am always very interested in Tribute builds. I did my own  1:32 scale tribute for my Uncle Peter's Tempest V which he crashed in Germany in April 1945. 

Your Dad was part of the 'forgotten' forces in the Far East . You doing this tribute is a great way to keep his and his comrades memory alive. well Done! It's fabulous you have his medals and his flying log book! 

You might know you can find out more about his Squadron from the ORB for his Squadron from the National Archives? These are amazing documents and can tell you a lot more about Squadron life. Please PM me and I'll  be very happy to direct you in the right direction to get access to this?

Kind Regards, 

Andy

Hi Andy,

Did your uncle pay the ultimate price for our freedom? it is good when you can associate a model with a person, even better if they are a relation. I have got the ORB's and Sqn diaries for 79 Sqn, which was his first Sqn, though he was assigned to 34 Sqn; on arrival in Burma my dad was one of a small number of pilots that were loaned to 79 Sqn as they were desperately short of Thunderbolt qualified pilots, including the Sqn CO! It's not until I got the ORB's that I finally found all but one of of the serial numbers for his T-bolts, It wasn't until then I could build an accurate representation. 

John     

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IanC said:

A wonderful model and display.

I love the r/h page of his logbook there: black mark for dropping a bomb on his own strip and especially 'Instrument formation flying? - just about'  That can't have been easy.. 😀

There are some funny and far from PC comments in his log book, from what I've read the weather was a bigger threat to the pilots than the Jap's. When he arrived in Burma it was in a rain storm, he land on pierced steel planking which was hidden by the water, it was the first time he'd encountered this type of runway, he thought the aircraft was disintegrating around him, he had no idea what was going on!

John    

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GrahamS said:

Funny looking Canberra.

Nice build none the less and great tribute 👍

Graham

Thanks, I know Graham, I wish he was still around, I could tell him off for not going on to Canberra's when he joined up again post war!

John

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Hi Andy,

Did your uncle pay the ultimate price for our freedom? it is good when you can associate a model with a person, even better if they are a relation. I have got the ORB's and Sqn diaries for 79 Sqn, which was his first Sqn, though he was assigned to 34 Sqn; on arrival in Burma my dad was one of a small number of pilots that were loaned to 79 Sqn as they were desperately short of Thunderbolt qualified pilots, including the Sqn CO! It's not until I got the ORB's that I finally found all but one of of the serial numbers for his T-bolts, It wasn't until then I could build an accurate representation. 

John     

Hi John, thankfully Uncle Peter survived his crash, though he was badly burnt.became a POW for a short while and eventually rejoined his Squadron in Germany. 

Glad you got the ORBs. They make really interesting reading! and I did the same as you reconstructed his sorties. I often ponder what he and others would think of our efforts as modellers and researchers? Probably 'shoot us a line ' about other sorties but more likely feel gratitude that someone keeps their sacrifices and experiences alive. 

I dont wish to hijack your thread but if you would like to see my Tribute build its this thread.. think you can just search for it?

A Tribute build 1:32 Hawker Tempest V NV-728 "US-X" 56 Punjab Squadron - April 1945. My uncle's aircraft - Sgt PC Brown

Its a pity your Dad is not still with us. He and his generation were some very special people. I for one would thank him for his Service!

Kind Regards

Andy

• Like 1

Very nice tribute to your dad.

My dad was too young to join the RAF until the war was over, then he was off to Singapore for two years. 38 years later he retired (RAF-RCAF-CAF).

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 2