1/48 Academy F-4C SEA Camouflage

arfa1983

Dubai, Tennessee.... is there any difference! :D

She's looking good. You are lucky to have a place like that!  Nothing like that here...... most of the main hobby shops in Sydney (and there's not many) are crap and sell only popular stuff and Gundam crap!

I have to buy most of my stuff interstate or from overseas!

• Haha 1

Melbourne has / had quite a few good hobby shops. My favourite was Showcase Models on Little Bourke which unfortunately wasn't there last time I visited. Not sure if VHC and Hearns still exist or if they've gone the way of the dodo. 

Edited by arfa1983

Speaking of which... 

spacer.png

Making some progress on them. Aircraft and pylons and wheels and everything ready for paint shop, but nowhere to paint with airbrush right now. LHS still closed for relocation. 😥 outside is humid and hot so no chance to even try my luck out there. 

Once I know the opening date, I'll book in to do the painting then should all come together quickly.

These group builds are good for stash reduction (with the obvious intention of replenishment)

Holding off starting building anything until the F-14 group build starts! Got the Tamiya F-14A with some tophatters decals ready for that one.

Been following everyone else's builds very intently, and this GB gallery is going to be epic by the looks of it. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Gaps all filled and sanded... ready for paint! Only thing left is to cut and clean up landing gear doors and airbrakes for painting...

This kit really is well done. I mean for sure I will build a tamiya F-4 before I die (it's obvs must-do)  but this is a very well engineered kit, and I think is awesome value for money. Just the radome fit could have been marginally better. It required a little sanding to make it fit the fuselage. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well, decided the other day that with no indication that the LHS is reopening any time soon, I may need to do my spray painting at home.

LHS still doing online shopping and delivery,  so got these paints. I have never used the Gaia paints before, and I'm a little sceptical about the tan colour. Looks a little too orange. But no choice! This is all they had, and being lacquer I expect they will spray nicely with a good amount of thinner.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I will not let the F4 beat me for a second time in a group build! 

Was not able to work on her for a month due to two weeks in Europe and then unfortunately two weeks covid recovery and self isolation in the spare room. Thankfully my case was relatively mild. Only modelling I did in that time was to put together some Dragon 1/35 USMC from Tarawa. Very unproductive. 

But with the weather now good (still probably a little hot for optimal airbrushing) I set up my compressor and camping table and got to work!

spacer.png

Thanks to lacquer paints I was able to paint basically everything and gloss clear coat. However I ran out of light before I could do the wheel wells and landing gear. But no bother, I can do that next weekend, and all my ordinance is already done!

I'm actually quite happy with the mottled effect I have achieved. The camo was sprayed free hand and I think looks reasonably good.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Came back few hours later and got the decals on too! Not going to bother about the 200 odd stencils! Most would be invisible on the green anyway. 

The kit decals are printed by catograph and really work nicely. One little lick or Mr  Mark softener and they just sink down into the panel lines. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Well.... lucky there's an extension. All that's left to do now is remove the excess panel line wash, flat coat and final assembly! 

Today was a long day but thoroughly enjoyable seeing it all come together! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh... and paint tires and do rbf tags for sidewinders! 

• Like 4

Thanks @stevehnz. I am also very pleased about the colours. They are very thick though and require substantial thinning. 

On the home stretch now! Rivet (or bomb) counters avert your eyes now!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

MORE!

spacer.png

OK OK, even I think it's a bit ridiculous! But it is done.

The eduard sparrows didn't fit the kit too well actually, especially in the front stations, but they are mostly hidden away. 

According to a loading guide I have seen, this load out may have been just slightly above the allowable weight. But with a long enough runway and a little less fuel onboard, I'm sure it could take off! 

Inshallah I will have this finished for the gallery on Saturday morning! 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Niiice...the tan really came out looking good 👍 As you said...it looked pretty "orange" at first look. 

I want to do the SEA wraparound camo on my RF-4C and have the MRP paints which are a dream to work with, but the tan looks way to dark compared to photos of the real aircraft. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

They are very thick though and require substantial thinning. 

Hey, that's a good thing :) it means the bottles will last you a while compared with MRP for instance..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coneheadff said:

But the tan looks way to dark compared to photos of the real aircraft. 

spacer.png

I thought the same using it on the Kurnass, but when you put it side-by-side with the greens it seems to naturally look lighter to your eye. Don't give up on it!

Alan

• Like 2

Calling it done with a day to go. Unfortunately the Gunze Aqueous "Premium" flat clear gave a slightly chalky finish to it. 😑

Anyway, it is done and the F4 Phantom STGB curse is broken!

Despite the setbacks and many flaws I am very happy with it and glad to have a SEA camo Phantom in my collection!

spacer.png

• Like 7

4 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

Unfortunately the Gunze Aqueous "Premium" flat clear gave a slightly chalky finish to it. 😑

Let's call it a 'dusty finish' and celebrate a job well done 👏👏👏

• Like 1