The flying Skull and Crossbones.

jean

42 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Maybe this is the time to order a set of aftermarket decals?

Hi Bertie,

from Zimbabwe? They may arrive in time for the 2024 F-4 Phantom GB.....

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do you have any liquid decal film ? 

Hi,

as a matter of fact, I do have a bottle of Microscale Liquid decal film.

Do you think it could help?

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jean said:

Hi,

as a matter of fact, I do have a bottle of Microscale Liquid decal film.

Do you think it could help?

Cheers

JR

I use it all the time on older decals, I brush on two coats myself but have heard it can be sprayed via A/B. The decal becomes a little thicker overall but I haven't had a problem. It still takes about 30-40 seconds in very warm water to loosen the decals. You will need to cut very close also to remove any excess carrier film when using them. Ive had luck with 50+ year old decals from Heller, matchbox, and Fujimi. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I use it all the time on older decals, I brush on two coats myself but have heard it can be sprayed via A/B. The decal becomes a little thicker overall but I haven't had a problem. It still takes about 30-40 seconds in very warm water to loosen the decals. You will need to cut very close also to remove any excess carrier film when using them. Ive had luck with 50+ year old decals from Heller, matchbox, and Fujimi. 

Hi Dennis,

thanks for the tip.

The problem with these decals is that they do not appear to adhere to the model, even if clear gloss varnish has been applied.

They do not seem to be especially brittle.

I could try to bed them in some Klir and hope they stay where they are meant to be!

No matter, I have all the roundels to use as test, so I am sure I will find something suitable.

Thanks again.

JR

• Like 2

Hi guys,

thanks to @Corsairfoxfouruncle @Alan P and @Johnson for the Clear trick. I will definitely test it with some of the unused decals. I never had to use it in the past, so it will be a steep learning curve.

I am intent on closing the fuselage this weekend, so I need to finish the cockpit. Fujimi, like many others, gives  an erroneous rear cockpit. 

I have scratched something for the right side: nothing approaching accuracy, but through a canopy the illusion should be fine.

For the left side, I am lacking clear photos, so I just cut the side console decal and left it at that.

The throttle on the front left console will be invisible, but I shall know it is there.

After a dry brush, things should not look too bad once the cockpit is in place between the half fuselages.

F-4B GB Photo 10

Cheers everyone.

JR

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi guys,

thanks to @Corsairfoxfouruncle @Alan P and @Johnson for the Clear trick. I will definitely test it with some of the unused decals. I never had to use it in the past, so it will be a steep learning curve.

I am intent on closing the fuselage this weekend, so I need to finish the cockpit. Fujimi, like many others, gives  an erroneous rear cockpit. 

I have scratched something for the right side: nothing approaching accuracy, but through a canopy the illusion should be fine.

For the left side, I am lacking clear photos, so I just cut the side console decal and left it at that.

The throttle on the front left console will be invisible, but I shall know it is there.

After a dry brush, things should not look too bad once the cockpit is in place between the half fuselages.

F-4B GB Photo 10

Cheers everyone.

JR

Do you need photo’s of the back seaters left wall ? If so its a wall of fuse boxes and relays. I can get you a photo in a few minutes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Do you need photo’s of the back seaters left wall ? If so its a wall of fuse boxes and relays. I can get you a photo in a few minutes. 

Hi Dennis,

yes please and a big thank you.

JR

Ok JR … not much on the net and my books are stored away so cant get to anything from them. The first two are from an F-4B/N book online, and the website has multiple drawings and some photo’s so hopefully they will help ? 

vsaEgxD.jpg

xRleJSc.jpg

http://aviation.watergeek.eu/f4b-panel.html

Ok This is from a USAF “C” but I dont think there is much difference between the two planes in the Left wall panel ? 

zfvz36I.jpg

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone,

I declare the cockpit finished. 

My Phantom references are not on the par with other planes. 

So rather than waste time adding microscopic details that will become invisible under a closed canopy, I might as well close the fuselage!

The ejection seats will come later, as I have no idea if they will let me close the canopy once in place.

Once bitten...

Here are a couple of photos of the cockpit. The bare minimum, but sufficient!

F-4B GB Photo 11

F-4B GB Photo 12

Have fun!

JR

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, jean said:

Here are a couple of photos of the cockpit. The bare minimum, but sufficient!

Looks fine JR. Just remember the cockpits we used to do. In the 'good old days' you were lucky if you got the panel and no decals!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi everyone,

the cockpit tub has been glued into the right half fuselage.

F-4B GB Photo 13

To be on the safe side, I have glued a fishing lead in each half nose. That should do the trick.

Today I went to glue the half fuselages together and what I suspected became true. The Fujimi plastic is hard, and does not take well to the glue. The Tamiya green top has little effect, and even my Humbrol poly cement in tube is struggling! So I am ending up gluing the half fuselages in sections with some CA glue on top of the poly cement. A nice mess at the moment...

My clairvoyant sees quite a lot of puttying and sanding in my near future...

Have lots of fun!

JR

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hmmm Mine glued together alright with tube and Tamiya E.Thin, however it wasn't the best of fits. I'm currently letting all my Tamiya filler harden up so I can sand it to within a few inches of its existence. 

Hi Dennis,

the fit on my F-4 is not great, just like yours. I kept it quiet so as not to be absolutely negative.

Just a bit more putty and sanding.... I can live with that.

Have fun.

JR

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

After all, I have to mention the fit, which is disappointing for a well known Japanese brand. OK, it is an old kit, but the fit is at best indifferent.

I have used some thick white Humbrol paint as a filler for the cracks, etc.that mar the spine, air intakes, nose of this F-4.

That works a treat and unlike CA, one does not have to rush to sand it down. 

Here is a photo of the bare fuselage.

F-4B GB Photo 14

Have fun!

JR

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi happy B'mers,

here all is great! After a horrid 38 Celsius day yesterday, today it is grey, windy, cold and raining!!!! This is how Africa should be!

A small progress report on the Phantom.

Most of the seams have been dealt with and I glued the wings today, so the model is starting to look like the real thing.

Next is a thorough and hopefully final seams' check up and then I can get started on the ejection seats and the cockpit transparencies.

F-4B GB Photo 15

Not fast, but the F-4B is running in parallel with my Skyhawk in WIP.

But real fun!

Cheers

JR

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

this F-4 is fighting me all the way. The fit is nasty, and every joint requires CA glue, putty, and a lot of sanding.

This is not the Fujimi I remember...

So last night I decided to tackle the sanding of the belly and tail, as the bugs have returned in force and painting, etc. at night is now out of the question.

I was not totally committed and I should have listened to the "Voice" that was telling me to go and read a book. I didn't...

For my sins, I broke the pitot on the tail, the fuel drain at the very back, and to cap it all I banged the right wing tip on the edge of my desk and snapped the trailing edge wingtip!!!

Here is a photo that tells the story...

F-4B GB Photo 16

Nothing too serious and the repairs will not be difficult, but this means more time wasted unnecessarily!

Rats!!!

Anyway, I need to rescribe the panel lines, fix the breakage and deal with the cockpit and canopy. No pressure!!!

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jean said:

this F-4 is fighting me all the way. The fit is nasty, and every joint requires CA glue, putty, and a lot of sanding.

It's the nature of the beast. Complicated lines, blame McDonnell Douglas.

16 hours ago, jean said:

This is not the Fujimi I remember...

Could be worse, try the Hasegawa. It's a nice (old) kit but every join needed filling and or sanding, usually both.

16 hours ago, jean said:

Anyway, I need to rescribe the panel lines, fix the breakage and deal with the cockpit and canopy.

As long as you're enjoying yourself Jean! 😂

Keep going!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

a step forward on the Phantom and a step and a half backward...

I stupidly dropped the model this afternoon and cracked the seam of the right air intake. I guess it could have been a lot worse, so I will stop sounding negative.

Anyway the damage was glued and puttied, and I decided to start rescribing the panel lines on the spine, as well as gluing some plasticard at the wing tip to repair the previous breakage...

It is now 20:00 and we still have 39 Celsius... For days we are now having between 41 and 43 Celsius, so the mojo is found flagging. Damn. The main reason my modelling is barely crawling.

But I can still bring this Phantom through.

Here is a photo of the state of affair:

F-4B GB Photo 17

Have fun.

JR

• Like 2