Flightpath 1/24th Sea Harrier set.

NAVY870

Looking at purchasing this one from the big H but as its a bit spensive I'd like a bit more gen before spending the hard earned.

If anyones used it whats it like?

Ta

I have this lurking in the darkest recesses of the stash. I don’t think there is an actual review of the set from what I’ve seen so far on both Scalemates and Google searches but a chap PhilB on Large Scale Planes did a SHAR build using it and his word was “superb” to describe it. Probably worth having a look there and to the other SHAR build he praises mightily for inspiration and ideas

Id post a link but sure if that’s the done thing

Just Google Flightpath 1/24 SeaHarrier detail set reviews and it’s there in the listing near the top

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Anything from Flightpath will be excellent 

Except to the unitiated, Most of the Flightpath PE sets I've used are  both much tougher than you'd normally expect, and attached to the fret by much larger tags. If you haven't come across it before, I'd recommend not using scalpel and hard surface as you would for more traditional PE, but If you don't have one, invest in a very good quality PE cutter/shears and a new set of files, otherwise it's far too easy to mangle the more fragile parts while hacking them out and removing the remnant tags. I've used the set for the Harrier Gr3 and that wore out a brand new cutter, but at least I could use almost all of the PE. With care a good cutter can trim away most of the remnant fret tags. White metal, transfer and resin content have been uniformly excellent in the several sets I've used (1/72nd Anson, 1/32nd and 1/48th EE Lightning, 1/48th Hunter and 1/72nd Victor, off the top of my leaky head). And once defeated the PE has also looked top quality, despite my best bad efforts.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Spelling, for a change. Hah!
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Looking at purchasing this one from the big H but as its a bit spensive I'd like a bit more gen before spending the hard earned.

If anyones used it whats it like?

Ta

Buying direct from DJ Parkins flightpath might be cheaper, cut out the middleman. 

I have a couple of Flightpath PE sets for the Tornado. I must admit I've not used them yet, but when I've looked over the PE frets, I did think they looked pretty "industrial" in their construction. Is it really necessary for the attachment points to be so substantial? I'm sure its all part of the process, but the attachment points of Aires and Eduard seem delicate by comparison.

I believe Flightpath are a one-person company (as far as I know) and the Czech aftermarket firms employ dozens of people. That in itself will make quite a difference in the production of the PE sets.

I'm not suggesting that Flightpath produce poor-quality upgrade sets, but they use a different process to a lot of other, similar firms. Also, Flightpath produce a number of items that will (possibly) always be unique to them.   

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

On 16/08/2021 at 09:35, spruecutter96 said:

I have a couple of Flightpath PE sets for the Tornado. I must admit I've not used them yet, but when I've looked over the PE frets, I did think they looked pretty "industrial" in their construction. Is it really necessary for the attachment points to be so substantial? I'm sure its all part of the process, but the attachment points of Aires and Eduard seem delicate by comparison.

I believe Flightpath are a one-person company (as far as I know) and the Czech aftermarket firms employ dozens of people. That in itself will make quite a difference in the production of the PE sets.

I'm not suggesting that Flightpath produce poor-quality upgrade sets, but they use a different process to a lot of other, similar firms. Also, Flightpath produce a number of items that will (possibly) always be unique to them.   

Chris. 

A lot of conjecture on this thread so far and so it might be useful to have this input.

Firstly - Flightpath is not a company - it is a range of kits within my company. Four ranges at present, and soon to be eight with the purchase of other ranges that will in effect double the size of the company in terms of inventory [none of these new acquisitions are millitary or aviation focused].

So given the above there is no way we could be a one-man company! I have been investgating cloning but had very little success so far!

The tag sizes on the etched parts are the minumum our etchers are really happy with. They could be a little smaller and were - but I was constantly tiring of getting sheets where parts had twisted back and were either damaged or had parted company with the etched sheet entirely - then it is a faff organising replacement sheets from the etchers. On our frets we almost invariably give extras of the very smallest parts. I would NEVER use a scalpel to cut out etched parts. I always use various sizes of quality scissors, such as from Friskars. With these , you can cut hard against the edge of the part and have far less [if any] cleaning up of the tag to do afterwards. Another thing to confident and succesful etched part construction is to have a geed range of folding and bending tools. Hold & Fold or Etchmate and goor smooth-jawed pliers. The Small Shop Brass Assit Rolling Tool is good too.

If the frets might appear 'industrial' then let me assure you they are almost filigree when compared to our model railway kits which generally are etched on much much thicker material.

A point to remember is that with some other sets on the market they are look-pretty little stick-on additions that are simply added to the kit surface. Whilst our sets do include some of these, there are almost always much larger parts that have to be folded up and glued or soldered together into assemblies. Try using .005" brass or nickel silver for such an assembly and see how far you get!

Happy Modelling & Best to All,

David Parkins,

Flightpath

www.djparkins.com

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hi, David.

No offence was intended on my part. I'm sorry if my post read like a major critique of your products (again, not my intention).

I can believe there are many practical considerations when it comes to producing PE frets, most of which your average punter will be entirely unaware of (myself included).  

I often look at your website and can appreciate the entire range of your items.

Chris.  

15 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, David.

No offence was intended on my part. I'm sorry if my post read like a major critique of your products (again, not my intention).

Chris.  

Same here.  Just trying to forestall an avoidable bad experience if the original poster hadn't come across this sort of PE, and bearing in mind he was thinking of ordering from Hannants, where he would not be getting the website explanations Mr Parkins mentions.

Paul.

On 17/08/2021 at 05:30, DJPFlightpath said:

I always use various sizes of quality scissors, such as from Friskars.

That is exactly what I use. I bought a pair of Fiskars at Walmart of all places and only spent about $5. These work really well, even with thicker brass and larger attachment points. I love them!

Cheers,

Bill

I've used loads of stuff from Flightpath. The 1/32 Tornado Flaps and Slats set, the 1/32 Tornado GR1/GR4 set, the 1/32 Hunter set and I have the 1/24 Harrier GR3 set waiting in the stash.  The quality of the Flightpath sets is far superior to anything Eduard have produced. And all I use to cut off the'industrial' sprue gates is a pair of embroidary scissors.

Don't hesitate. Just but the Harrier set. You won't regret it. I just wish there were two BL755s in the GR3 set because I have never heard of any Harrier only carrying one.

Cheers,

Tom

Buy with confidence. David has top notch customer service and quality of sets. I have all the sets for the Flower Class Corvette, awesome sets!  And the 1/72 Avro Anson set really transorms the Airfix kit into another class. Regards, Pete in RI.  ps, If you have any interest at all in the Hawker Sea Fury, just buy his set. 

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived today, looks like some seriously quality kit in this little blue box.

Service was top notch as well.

I think Mr Parkins will be seeing some more of my coin.

• Like 2