Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt 109E3 of III / JG51

This is built from the Starter Set

109E-3%20III-JG51%2C%2001s-S.jpg

I found a photo of this aircraft * on-line and using it as a guide plus some other photos of 109s of III / JG51 and an assumption this is my build 

In the cockpit I added the oxygen unit and the big control wheels beside the pilots seat. I added the tabs on the ailerons and the prop is a resin replacement as I think the Airfix one is way too narrow, the exhaust stubs are resin replacements as well, (just cos I'm daft sometimes in changing parts) My aerial wire slipped down the mast as the glue dried and I used too large a swastika.

109E-3%20III-JG51%2C%2007-L.jpg

109E-3%20III-JG51%2C%2008-L.jpg

109E-3%20III-JG51%2C%2009-L.jpg

109E-3%20III-JG51%2C%2010-L.jpg

109E-3%20III-JG51%2C%2011-L.jpg

109E-3%20III-JG51%2C%2012-L.jpg

* the real subject

Bf-109E-III.JG51-%28o%2B-Hofe-WNr-1490-F

PS. What colour do you see the background as? Its supposed to be a mid-tone light grey.

• Like 24

Nice model you have there.

4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

PS. What colour do you see the background as? Its supposed to be a mid-tone light grey.

Brownish pink or pinkish brown overall; greyish in the shadows (like under the wings).

Cheers,

-M

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Mjoo said:

Brownish pink or pinkish brown overall; greyish in the shadows (like under the wings).

Thank you. I've re-done the colour balance of the photos and reposted them. I hope they look correct now

9 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Background still pink to me but every monitor will be differently calibrated.

Thanks, I'll try tweaking the colour balance again, later

Hi there Black Knight,

very nice 109, very well built.

This scheme is on my to do list as well. Iconic one, really.

I am afraid the color photo led you astray.

What you took for RLM 65 on the top of the wing root is weathering, dirt, and a possible nasty reflection. This starts at the "no walking" red line and extends to the fuselage.

On the book "Bf109 E, the Blitzkrieg fighter", there is a b & w photo of this plane taken from close behind the cockpit that will explain all.

My phone battery is flat at the moment, but I will take a photo shortly and post it later this afternoon.

No serious problem to repaint the area.

Photos are an essential part of building an accurate model, but they still sometimes ave the better of us.

Great build, no matter what!

JR

• Sad 1

Phone recharged.

Here is the photo I was talking about:

wing root

As I said, not a big deal to correct.

Keep having fun!

JR

Edited by jean

NO guarantee or evidence that the photos were taken at the same time. In fact the deflection of the flap and the length of the grass would indicate that the photos were taken at different times

I stand by my interpretation

I will not be repainting

• Like 2

Hi,

that's the spirit!

Your model, your decision.

As I said, you built a lovely kit, you are happy with it, and this is what matters.

Cheers mate.

JR

What a nice, clean result.

Re the grey card... on my monitor (Apple) it's a warm grey and a little variable, especially in some of the shadows. Looks like multiple, direct lighting sources? One a fluoro? If you're after an even background with open shadows, suggest trying a broad, diffused light source; reflect lamps off ceiling/wall or large white card, or can use window/outdoor light on overcast day. LEDs are preferable to fluoro light sources.