F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - Completed

trickyrich

44 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

mmm those bumps are a bit excessive!!  Plus you're right they shouldn't be there....seems Hasegawa forgot to mention that in the instructions (is mentioned in the ones for the RF-4E)!! 

I think Hasegawa "navalised" both the hard and slatted Phantom wings when they made the recessed F-4J and the F-4S variants, on any long nosed F-4E/G  I bought after that, there was a small slip of paper, an errata sheet to remove those bumps, from memory there may be some bumps on the wing underside to remove as well, I'll check one of my stash kits tomorrow. :winkgrin:

You are right, there are some really awesome camo and special paint schemes on those photos from Hyakuri. :like:

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

mmm those bumps are a bit excessive!!  Plus you're right they shouldn't be there....seems Hasegawa forgot to mention that in the instructions (is mentioned in the ones for the RF-4E)!! 

Plus here are some awesome photo's of JASDF Phantoms (and others)!!!  :thumbsup:

http://aviationspottersonline.com/phantom-spotting-at-hyakuri

Thanks for the link Rich. Glad you enjoyed the article.

If you liked that one, may I also offer this one too?

https://aviationspottersonline.com/phantom-pharewell/

I miss them already.

Cheers,

Motty.

• Like 3

On 8/30/2021 at 8:07 AM, trickyrich said:

Decided to copies someone else’s idea for making the intakes :whistle:  no so empty and short looking. So some chopping and slicing later…..

What a brilliant idea! You know, I might be doing that myself.

Will you be doing the exaggerated shadows too?

21 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I saw those as well, gosh there's some nice photos, wish mine came out as nice....actually wish I had someplace like that to take photos of!

Thanks very much Rich.

Yes, Hyakuri was spotting heaven for Phantom Phans, and the authorities were so tolerant of it too. Then there's the hobby shops of course......  ;)

Cheers,

Motty.

..... arrrr the Hobby shops in Japan!!!

I have my favs in Kyoto & Osaka, next time I'm there I plan to take an extra suitcase with me!! :D

Oh dear I just had a seniors moment!!! Oh course they're your photo's!!!! :wall:

You didn't happed to see my beasty??

G'day Rich,

40 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Oh dear I just had a seniors moment!!! Oh course they're your photo's!!!! :wall:

You didn't happed to see my beasty??

Yes, they are. ;)

Unfortunately, no, sorry. Gifu wasn't as convenient to get to and I only made it there a couple of times over the years. The last time I went there (when they had their all-back special scheme), the only day I had available to get some photos turned out to be a public holiday, so nothing flew. :(

Cheers,

Motty.

Thanks very much Chris and Rich. Glad you like the photos.

I've just added some links to some much older stuff that I have on an old web-site, in the reference thread, in case they are of use as well.

I've been lucky enough to be able to chase the F-4 in Japan and (to a lesser extent) Korea over the years and have lots of images that I haven't got around to putting online yet, so if there's anything I might be able to help with, please let me know.

Edit: Oh, and someone just posted a link about this on our local club page too:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10798099

I'm not too worried about the 3D burner cans, but those decals look VERY interesting. ;)  Just thought you might like to know. ;)

Cheers,

Motty.

Edited by Motty

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

@Motty arr what a shame, it certainly is/was quite a different scheme for sure.

The good thing is as a result of all those lovely photos I think someone might be very tempted to buy even more Phantoms....... hey @helios16v !!!!!  :rofl2:

Hey now, I've not bought another EJ.....yet.  :whistle:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Motty said:

Thanks very much Chris and Rich. Glad you like the photos.

I've just added some links to some much older stuff that I have on an old web-site, in the reference thread, in case they are of use as well.

I've been lucky enough to be able to chase the F-4 in Japan and (to a lesser extent) Korea over the years and have lots of images that I haven't got around to putting online yet, so if there's anything I might be able to help with, please let me know.

Edit: Oh, and someone just posted a link about this on our local club page too:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10798099

I'm not too worried about the 3D burner cans, but those decals look VERY interesting. ;)  Just thought you might like to know. ;)

Cheers,

Motty.

That looks fantastic!

Like the F-2, not a huge amount to show, a lot of the time was tiding her up and fixing joins. Plus a lot of the extra bumps on the original model are not present on this particular aircraft which is interesting, plus this aircraft has the rear mount for the F-15 High G centreline tank as well, though no photos of her ever fitted with it. 

So good reference photos (which I found) are a real must for this one as she is a one off bird. 

With all of that done a quick coat of XF-20 Grey to see how it all turned out…

IMG_6172-L.jpg

….. and pretty good I think. Again a lot of stuff is going to be covered by decals, they don’t look too thick or thin but they will hide lots of sins……. though not too many.

IMG_6173-L.jpg

I’m not too worried about the wheel wells and speed brake area as they need another light coat of white anyway. 

Then the underside was given a coat of MRP’s FS.36375 Grey.  

IMG_6179-L.jpg

I so love the finish you get with this paint!

It wasn’t until I found a proper photo of the underside that I realised it’s not one evenish colour, but the old, stained F-4 underside with a large section repainted for where the writing goes! It may be the same colour, what I might do is dirty up the grey that's on there at the moment and them mist of a similar grey to give it that nice new look.

95f1244638e3ed75c3e017d54a83678a-XL.jpg

This will be fun to do/reproduce, I may do this next (which would be the sensible way) or later once the topcoat is on (the not so sensible way!!!). Plus I should also do all the yellow edges too before the green top colour.

The metal bits at the back will be last before the decals…. well that’s the plan.

I’d like to get all the main painting completed before I continue on with the F-4B (it’s Quinta cockpit should be here Monday)….. maybe have it done this weekend if I pull my finger out!

• Like 9

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - painted

ok, some masking and a quick trip to the pant booth and we have this!

IMG_6182-L.jpg 

That looks a bit closer, though I may just take it out to the wing leading edges a bit more. This though is just the basic work with paint, a wash and some work with pigments should get it looking more like the above picture.

Plus I found/remembered that the decal set supply they yellow bits. I will use them as they are that weird yellow/orange colour, which is the same colour as the badge on the tail.

Next, fit canopy bits, mask, and paint green..... smiple! :D 

• Like 12

On 8/23/2021 at 5:57 AM, trickyrich said:

….. and the cockpit has been pre-painted as well.  Plus a special prize for anyone that can tell me what is wrong with this photo?? 

Just catching up on this tread, so someone else may have answered the question already but...  Wheel bay back to front and yes I nearly did the same on mine.

Love that digital scheme.

Mike

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Just catching up on this tread, so someone else may have answered the question already but...  Wheel bay back to front and yes I nearly did the same on mine.

Love that digital scheme.

Mike

yeap!!!  :D   

Luckily I was doing some test fitting straight after and wondered why the cockpit tub wasn't fitting properly. So I was able to pull it apart with some effort and turn it around..... so glad it didn't dry. But those rotten bit fit together both ways nicely. I suspect others have fallen into that trip as well.

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - painting

Well I said I wasn’t going to do any more on this build until the F-2 was finished, well………………….

… well while the clear coat was drying on the F-2 (what a disaster that was…. :wall:  ) I decided to paint her.

First off was the tanks & pylons plus a couple of other small things what needed to be grey, MRP paint.

IMG_6192-L.jpg

Then masking up for the main colour Mitsubishi Dark Green, the only paint that matched this is Gunze’s Mr Color. I don’t think I’ve ever used a paint from this range before, they’ve all been the Mr Hobby stuff if I've used any, so was interested to see how they go.. 

It took sometime to get the paint to thinner ratio right, ended up 60/40 thinner to paint.

First trial runs, goes on pretty nicely.

IMG_6193-L.jpg

Looks really dark in this photo, then with the final mixes… 

IMG_6194-L.jpg

IMG_6196-L.jpg

I actually like this paint, and am very impressed with finish it's really nice, getting up there with the Real Color and MRP, and it’s a proper lacquer like them as well.

IMG_6195-L.jpg

Plus I touched up, well enlarged the “clean” section of the underside to closer match the actual aircraft.

So she’s already for a clear……. and no way I’ll let the SMS stuff go near this one!!! 

So I’ll clear coat her this morning and she should be ready for decaling tonight…. I may get a start as it will be a long process!

• Like 11

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - painting completed

hahaha.... well not quite, the F-2 took up all of todays work, didn't even get a chance to clear coat her even....... tough will try Tamiya's now lacquer clear for this job...... maybe tomorrow or Tuesday after work.