F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - Completed

trickyrich

2 hours ago, helios16v said:

Looking good.  You are probably going to be finished before I really even get started.  :D

yes and no..... I really want to work on the F-4B, but I have this horrible sinking feeling that the Quinta decals have gone missing in the post, tracking shows it was delivered at 11:08pm..... that never happened. GD AusPost :angry:

• Sad 4

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

yes and no..... I really want to work on the F-4B, but I have this horrible sinking feeling that the Quinta decals have gone missing in the post, tracking shows it was delivered at 11:08pm..... that never happened. GD AusPost :angry:

Oh man...that sucks.  Hopefully it shows up.  :(

Ok a little bit more done to her…..

I was thing of do the metallic bits last but was a bit worried about masking over all the decals, so to play it safe I decided to paint the metallic bits now. 

This is the basic colour/s, using Models Master Metalizer paint, It’ll be a base for further work using metallic pigments and some fine airbrushing.

IMG_6209-L.jpg

I am pretty happy with the base colours, still more to go!

IMG_6208-L.jpg

Tonight I gave her a coat of clear gloss using Tamiya’s new Clear Lacquer paint (the LP range)….and gosh was I surprised at just how nice it was to use and the finish it gives…… sorry forgot photos.  :doh:

It’s not as good as the MRP clears are (is there anything better!) but it doesn’t affect the paint underneath as the SMS stuff does, plus it does give you a nice finish over flat/matt main colour.

So tomorrow I can start the epic task of start the decaling process……this will take a few days at least!

• Like 5

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - minor update 15/9
1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Tonight I gave her a coat of clear gloss using Tamiya’s new Clear Lacquer paint (the LP range)….and gosh was I surprised at just how nice it was to use and the finish it gives

Looks good Rich, and useful to know. I’m always on the lookout for good clear gloss coats, and one that’s OK with paint (enamel?) underneath.

Great subject for this group build! I just finished a Tamiya 1:32 F-4EJ in this scheme, using the same DXM set but in 1:32

They are excellent decals and went down really nicely, the only thing being that there were so many of them..... 

Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

A pic of my effort:

spacer.png

• Like 13

Ok the moment we’ve all been waiting for/scared of……decalling!!! :door:

But before we get too excited, the clear coat, I really like the way this Tamiya lacquer clear went one, no issues or dramas. It didn’t seem to care how thick you applied it, didn’t react with the paint in anyway. Think I’ll be using this in future.

IMG_6219-L.jpg

It’s not super shiny but will do for what I need.

Ok the decals…. well I’m halfway through and they are awesome!!  🥰  So nice to use, they appear to be quite thick but they snuggle down nice, only needed a couple of spots of softener. All the panel line beneath show through perfectly. They are quite resilient as well and can take rough handling without falling apart or breaking.

IMG_6220-L.jpg

Ok the bad points….. just look at them!!!!!   :yikes: ........again whoever did the layout must have hated the world that day!! They are all over the place, most of my time has been spent playing “Where’s Wally” trying to find the decal I needed! They are soooo tightly packed together that a scalpel is the only way you can cut them out. That finally just to drive you completely bonkers, their orientation on the sheet is not necessarily the way they go on :wall:  , anyway….

…. first a couple of test runs yesterday to see how they’d go, as mentioned earlier, they are a dream to use.

IMG_6221-L.jpg

Then I could help myself and did a few before dinner/drinks!

IMG_6222-L.jpg

IMG_6223-L.jpg

IMG_6224-L.jpg

There’s an hour’s worth of work here!!

So bright and early this morning……… well not that early, and after a coffee to get me alive I started……… nearly 7 hours later!!!!  :blink:

She certainly looks impressive!

IMG_6226-L.jpg

IMG_6227-L.jpg

IMG_6228-L.jpg

IMG_6229-L.jpg

There are only 3 decals I couldn’t quite get to line up per the instructions/photos. In a couple of places I had 3 wet decals on her at the same time trying to get them all to link in together. Again this scheme would be near impossible to do without awesome decals like this….. I know I’ll end up trolling through their site just looking for crazy schemes to do…… I already have their Digital set for my F-15J!

For sanities sake I’ll give it a break and maybe finish them off next weekend, as I still have this lot to go!!!! Dear god……  :doh:

IMG_6230-L.jpg

• Like 18

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - "hi ho hi ho it's off decalling I go......."

mmm all those wee decals to go........  :blink:

She's been put to bed for a week so I can start some new projects. My F-4B has completely stalled as well because Quinta cockpit hasn't arrived,  but more seriously the Bullseye decals I need for are still not available!!! 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 9:50 AM, trickyrich said:

IMG_6226-L.jpg

IMG_6227-L.jpg

IMG_6228-L.jpg

IMG_6229-L.jpg

For sanities sake I’ll give it a break and maybe finish them off next weekend, as I still have this lot to go!!!! Dear god……  :doh:

IMG_6230-L.jpg

Now that's commitment 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

Thanks....

I had a break from her yesterday and my eyes thank me!

I would like to have her finished by the weekend (local club is having an online show.... we're still in lockdown here), so will do little bits here an there over the week. Not sure if I can make that deadline or not...... I won't rush it for that one.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:55 AM, trickyrich said:

gee she looks great and 1/32nd as well a huge beast! :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich! Yes indeed, it was a monster size on my smaller than I'd like bench! Love the progress on your build, I agree, the layout of the decals on the sheet is a pain, so much time is spent hunting down the decal you need...

5 hours ago, Ronan71 said:

Thanks Rich! Yes indeed, it was a monster size on my smaller than I'd like bench! Love the progress on your build, I agree, the layout of the decals on the sheet is a pain, so much time is spent hunting down the decal you need...

thanks, I agree the only bad thing I could say about these decals , was trying to find them..... imagine trying to do this in 1/72nd!!

But to use they are some of the nicest decals I've used, I'd highly recommend DXM decals to anyone! :thumbsup:

Looks amazing Rich!

On 9/18/2021 at 9:50 AM, trickyrich said:

But before we get too excited, the clear coat, I really like the way this Tamiya lacquer clear went one, no issues or dramas. It didn’t seem to care how thick you applied it, didn’t react with the paint in anyway. Think I’ll be using this in future.

I've got to try this. Can I ask, is it - LP-9 Clear Tamiya Lacquer 82109? And what did you use to thin for airbrushing?

Regards,

13 hours ago, Johnson said:

Looks amazing Rich!

I've got to try this. Can I ask, is it - LP-9 Clear Tamiya Lacquer 82109? And what did you use to thin for airbrushing?

Regards,

yeah that's the stuff, I used it straight out of the bottle was fine......... though not now!! Found I left the lid partially off!! :wall:

The thinners, and I'll be using it now, is Tamiya's Lacquer thinners, the one with the yellowish cap. This thinner is also awesome with their normal Acrylic paints and both of the Gunze range (Mr Color & Mr Hobby). They happily thin down to 95% thinner, and dry with a super nice finish.

Be very careful if you use their Lacquer with the Orange cap, I think it also has retarder in it, but it's "VERY" hot, have seen some nasty results from using it, especially if you spray a bit too heavy, the other stuff is foolproof. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ok a minor/epic update...... well decal wise....... I finished dealing!!!!  :yahoo:

Well I did on Sunday, have been away with work all week so no chance to update....

....... but the decaying decalling is done, only took about 4 days to do! I could have done it a bit quicker, but it probably would have done me in :drunk:, though I'm now an expert at playing "Where's Wally/the decal". 🔎

anyway, they're on, and just need a clear coat before I can continue.

I'm hoping to have her nearly complete after this long weekend........ hopefully!

Here's how she looks at the moment, bit dusty and needs a wipe down to remove decal residue as well.

IMG_6264-L.jpg

IMG_6265-L.jpg

IMG_6266-L.jpg

IMG_6267-L.jpg

and with her younger little brother.

IMG_6268-L.jpg

• Like 15

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - epic decalling done!