F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - Completed

trickyrich

18 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

That really looks awesome and the F2 and F4 really need to be displayed next to each other on the shelf.

thanks, there is an F-15J to follow, again in one of the special 60th anniversary digital schemes, again with decals from DXM

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

thanks, there is an F-15J to follow, again in one of the special 60th anniversary digital schemes, again with decals from DXM

You're doing the digi set, I'm working on the Oceanic combo.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow it’s been a month since the last update!!

Lots done, she’s about 99.9% done and was nearly 99.9% in the bin on Sunday!  

I needed seat belts for her so pinched a set of HGW seatbelts for her from the F-4B which I didn’t need any longer, 2 hours later and only 3 belts done I was ready to throw the lot in the bin!  I have used these before on a 1/32nd build (Ta-152A-1) and they were ok, but in 1/48th!!!!!!

It was already on the “shelf of doom” when I found the leftover QS seatbelts for the F-4B build. Probably not 100% accurate for an F-4EJ but they will do.

IMG_6411-L.jpg

So will fit them and she’s done!

Prior to all this I had finished all the decals and started the clear coat process, what a “Firetrucken” process that was!  :angry:  I was trying Tamiya’s new Lacquer clears, Matt & Semi-Matt, they go on nice but there was no difference between them in the finish! So I was forced to go with the SMS Flat which I hate, for a change is sort of behaved itself………. until I removed the masks on the canopy!

As can sort of be seen here it had some reaction with the tape and the canopy which has resulted in “plastic burns/crazing” lines in the canopy. I’ve tried polishing them out, but they are quite deep and I can’t at this stage remove the front canopy anymore. So she’s just going to have to stay like this, am now very disappointed with the build. 

IMG_6407-L.jpg

IMG_6409-L.jpg

IMG_6410-L.jpg

IMG_6408-L.jpg

Well I still plan to finish her, everything is on her now, I just have to finish off the canopies and fit them.

It’s a pity about the few dramas as I do love this scheme a lot.

• Like 13
  • Sad 1

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - I hate clears!

That hurts!

I love acrylics for that reason, but i get the advantage of lacquers in general

Or was it "only" the tape and if so what kind of tape was it?

If i was you, i would pry them off and order a replacement canopy set. The work with the decals is insane, so it would be worth it.

Half-OT : The windshield on Tamiyas new F-14 is a bigger piece and alot harder to replace. Ask me how i know :)

Edited by 2lefthands
More thoughts
  • Thanks 1

That's bad Rich! I'm assuming it was the solvent in the lacquer/thinner diffusing through the tape? Having just bought a set of the Tamiya LP range I'm suitably warned, but very sorry you had to find out like this!

I guess you've tried polishing with micromesh? I recently had a load of trouble with my 1/24 Spitfire canopy. Scribing the knock-out panel on the side which didn't go well. Had go right back to good plastic, polishing for ages, starting with 3600 and finishing with 12000. You can go very deep as I found out!

Your build is so awesome you mustn't give up! Best of luck!

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Well I still plan to finish her, everything is on her now, I just have to finish off the canopies and fit them.

That is such a shame about the canopies, Rich.  Replacement canopies would be the best, if possible.

I must admit, my finger hovered over the add to basket button for these decals, but, I have to be realistic, I've already got too many projects in my limited remaining time.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:15 PM, 2lefthands said:

That hurts!

I love acrylics for that reason, but i get the advantage of lacquers in general

Or was it "only" the tape and if so what kind of tape was it?

If i was you, i would pry them off and order a replacement canopy set. The work with the decals is insane, so it would be worth it.

Half-OT : The windshield on Tamiyas new F-14 is a bigger piece and alot harder to replace. Ask me how i know :)

I'm not 100% sure what went on or caused the issue, Tamiya & Gunze acrylics are generally bulletproof and I do like to use them, I love lacquers because of the finish they give and that you can add a huge number of layers without loosing any detail.

I suspect that the tape I was using may have had some reaction, it wasn't my normal Tamiya or MRP tape but a similar type, plus I had to leave it on for quite some time, that and the number of lacquer clear coats didn't help.

I may try to remove the canopy and replace it, I tried micro-mesh and polish but it didn't really work well and I was worried about damaging the surrounding decals/paint.  

On 10/19/2021 at 9:46 PM, DaveJL said:

Shame about the canopy issue mate but it still looks great! Have you tried MRP flat? I find it's very good but does require a lot of shaking to get the formula to mix correctly.

I love MRP Flat (actually all of their paints), but unfortunately there is only one supplier in Aust. and they're always out of stock of most of there paints (they're bloody hopeless!). So that's the reason why I'm trying other suppliers, SMS is way too hit and miss, the new Tamiya, well something is wrong with the Flat, it's too shiny, Might be a batch issue. I will see what other lacquer flat clears are available here. Tamiya acrylics are ok, but they give you, in my opinion, a too heavy coat, even when thinned right back, plus they're not a solid finish like the lacquer based ones.

I’ll +1 craigs suggestion Rich:

I think I have a spare hasegawa canopy from my failed vietnam build also which you are of course welcome to.

But I’m not sure of delivery speed either.

edit: google tells me 10 days, but I’m not confident with that with customs

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks guys for the offer, first thing yesterday morning I managed to get the canopy off without too many dramas, then attacked it with micro mesh up to 12000grit then plastic polish. I ended up having to do it twice, what ever started to eat it did a good job of it that's for sure!!

It came out 95% ok, paint may hide the rest. Now I need to glue it back on a mask, that's the scary part as the decals may be quite good I just don't know how that will handle tape over them (they are clear coated). I may end up using blutac as that not so sticky.

Will now and try to finish it next weekend, will be glad to get this one done.

• Like 5

You've put a great effort into this one and the result shows those efforts to great effect Rich. Hope you can clear this final hurdle and get it finished off to your satisfaction.

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty much calling this one done. I'm now struggling with motivation on this build so best finish it before it finishes me!

The canopy sort of came out ok, not perfect but much better than it was. The issue now is all that nice work to fit the front canopy and get it nice and smooth is not an option now with the decals on. I lost a few with the masking, I even used old blutac but even that was too sticky, and I lost some decals. I managed to patch them up. Then I forgot what clear I used for the final coat!! After the second attempt I decided to give up…… oh and I broke off the left elevator for the 3rd or 4th time as well….. so have to fit that before she truly completed.

IMG_6419-L.jpg

IMG_6422-L.jpg

The bang seats actually ended up looking quite nice with the Quinta seatbelt, leftover from the F-4B, it had the correct older Mk.5 resin seats.

I’ll post the final photos next weekend 

• Like 10

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - calling time on this build.