F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - Completed

trickyrich

• 3 weeks later...

Well I’m finally calling time on this one, 100% happy with her but spending more time on her won’t solve things and I’ll just disappear down some rabbit hole trying to fix things……. And not helped by the fact I broke the LH elevator off her 3x so far! :doh:

The decals while nice to use and behaved themselves….were a nightmare!!!  As mentioned way earlier, if you’re good at playing “Where’s Wally” you’ll have no troubles, otherwise!!!!!!!  :wall:

They have a sort of numbering system/order for each decal, but they then throw them all up in the air, then re-shuffle them a few times, then finally squeeze them altogether on the smallest sheet they could find, and then send it off to be printed. Meanwhile someone sneaks into the office at night and swaps around some of the numbers on the instruction sheet!  :wacko:

All this is just for the digital pattern, they do the same thing for the stencils!! If I had a brain I would have used the kit stencils!

But the biggest issue I had was with the clears! I had found what I though was the best clears on the market, MRP, they are so easy to use and the finishes they give are just prefect.  But they are now almost impossible to get here. So I have had this endless search for a Lacquer based alternative, without a lot of success…anyway I’ll start ranting if I keep going….:D

For an oldie, the Hasegawa Phantom is still quite a nice build, there’s no AM bits on her, just a couple of bits pinched from other Phantom models. Seats form Tamiya F-4B (modified), Quinta seatbelts ( 🥰 ), and cans from ZM F-4E (not a good idea!!)…….. and I forgot the ladder too!

I do like the scheme a lot, I would actually re-build this one again with a Tamiya (when they release it) or ZM model, knowing what I know now it would be a much smoother build.

Anyway thanks for looking, will post more pictures in the gallery…..will think about adding her to the RFI section as well.

Will add photo's to gallery first.....

IMG_6464-XL.jpg

IMG_6462-XL.jpg

IMG_6465-XL.jpg

IMG_6468-XL.jpg

IMG_6469-XL.jpg

IMG_6470-XL.jpg

IMG_6472-XL.jpg

IMG_6474-XL.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4EJ JASDF, ADTW, Special Digital Scheme - Completed

That is brilliant Rich, utterly nuts but brilliant. I'm so pleased you've done this, I wondered what they'd look like when first I saw them, now I know & thank goodness, I will not feel tempted to have a go. Thanks for taking one for the team :D

Steve.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is insanely awesome!

I really think Japanese F-4s are the coolest of the lot. My 1/72 RF-4EJ arrived too late for this build (hello Japan GB 2022) but yours certainly carries the flag for JASDF schemes in this GB!

Congratulations on a really fantastic model. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Rich,

Spectacular! 

Sorry I did not follow your complete build. Crazy busy time at the moment. Struggling to get mine over the line with everything else happening.

Ray

• Thanks 1

There's a number of serious contenders for the top prize of STGB fame and glory, and this one is definitely one of them.

Somehow, from your description, I think a mask job woild have been a similar level of difficulty. 

Well done!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments, she certainly stands out on the shelf and probably one of the more interesting/crazy schemes out there.

On 11/26/2021 at 12:39 AM, arfa1983 said:

There's a number of serious contenders for the top prize of STGB fame and glory, and this one is definitely one of them.

Somehow, from your description, I think a mask job woild have been a similar level of difficulty. 

Well done!

cheers, masking would have probably have been a bit more difficult mostly in getting the masks pre-cut on a machine. Laying then out would be just as difficult/time consuming, but boy it would look spectacular once done.

I'd be game forsure if there were masks around. But I need to teach myself how to use the cutting machine I have as I really want to do another "Splinter" MiG-21, this time in 1/32nd!! :D  

IMG_2418.jpg 

There are no decals on this one, it's all masking and paint.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

IMG_2418.jpgThere are no decals on this one, it's all masking and paint.

Second place?! I hope whatever came first could sing and serve cocktails as well 🤔

• Haha 1