F-4B Phantom II, VF-31 "Tomcatters" USS Saratoga 1966 - completed

trickyrich

32 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

So even Tamiya have manufacturing tolerances. I was beginning to think they worked to 'Perfect +/- 0.0'

They do, it must be operator error, mine are perfect. :winkgrin:

On 9/5/2021 at 8:45 PM, Covjets13 said:

Rich, it’s all your fault, I’ve filled in the required procurement forms and risk assessments and then submitted them to SWMBO, and now have one.

I have a very long term build on the shelf of doom, using both the Hasegawa J kit and the B wing, blending both with BB cockpit seamless sucker intakes, Aires exhausts, and lots of other stuff that I’ve forgotten in the folds of time…. What to do?

Si 

well first off congratulations for getting all the right forms processed and past the officials, that's usually the hardest part! :D

Best you finished those other project before you even think about the new Tamiya love of your life (trust me its even better than SHMBO.... please don't share that with anyone for all our sakes!!!! :rofl2:), because once you start her those others will remain on the shelf of doom forever!!!

Can see you're a somewhat kindred spirit with you'r love of AM extras as well....good man!!    :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Well the big news for this build is that the QS decals have been release by Auspost after being held hostage is some undisclosed location in Sydney!!  :yahoo:  :partytime:

IMG_6374-L.jpg

They appear well and in good condition considering their time in captivity. They probably will need some time to recover from the horrifying experience, nothing some therapy and counselling won't fix.

Though I am a little worried that they might run off a hide in a dark corner every time the Postie comes past on his bike!!!!

But with lots of time/therapy/love they will recover intake for the KUTA GB later in the year.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4B Phantom II, VF-31 "Tomcatters" USS Saratoga 1966 - Hostage release!!!

Ok since the hostage release of my QS decals for the dire clutches of the evil empire that is Auspost (thank you Chris Voss  :worthy:  ) I had planned to continue this build later this year in the annual KUTA (I promise I’ll finish it one year) GB.

But after looking in the eyes/dials of these wee lovelies I just couldn’t say no   :wub: and decided to do some work on her.

So after a bit of plastic removing and painting I was ready…… 20 minutes later they are happily at home in their new cockpit! 

IMG_6385-L.jpg

IMG_6386-L.jpg

IMG_6387-L.jpg

As nice as is the detail in the Tamiya cockpit, no painting would ever match the quality of these. They may not be the cheapest AM part around, but “bang for bucks” they have to be the best and easiest option.

IMG_6381-L.jpg

IMG_6382-L.jpg

IMG_6383-L.jpg

I am now pretty much ready to start the closing up process. I still have a wee bit more to do here but most of this can be done with the fuselage closed up.

I may continue work on her too, I can do everything up to painting her before the next hurdle comes up, the decals! The Bullseye decals I need for the VF-31 bird haven’t been released yet (I think, they don’t seem to be available anywhere).

But will see how the other builds/time goes.

• Like 8

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4B Phantom II, VF-31 "Tomcatters" USS Saratoga 1966 - Hostage's in new home

WOW :analintruder:

That office really looks right. :thumbsup2:

I've too become a Quinta Supporter/Addict now that I've used mine for the first time on my Norwegian F-16. 

So I guess that means the road back is closed..... 

/Bosse

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

Nice you have some QS stuff now Rich. It’s looking great.

Has anyone tried the red fox cockpit 3d decals yet for any project? They look equally amazing.

https://www.rfstudio.hu

would be interesting to see how they compare. I see another couple of companies are in the process of (or have) releasing their version.

QS has the start and the experience now and look to be pushing the process even further from what i have read.

Happy days I reckon! :D

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 7:55 AM, trickyrich said:

no painting would ever match the quality of these.

I both agree and disagree about the Quinta. I agree that no-one could ever paint so much detail by hand but I'm very aware that the cockpit on my F-4J isn't painted. I feel like I had very little to do with it and take no pride or pleasure in it. Daft really because I could say the same about the resin seats or any aftermarket stuff, or even the kit itself, none of which I actually made myself. I think it's because I've always enjoyed painting the cockpits of my models - it's one of my favourite parts of a build and I think I'm reasonably good at it. Maybe I'm a luddite. Maybe I resent the fact than anyone can do the Quinta thing in 20 minutes with little skill of effort. 

All that said, our models are personal to us and I don't seek to impose my opinion on anyone else.

And it's good to see you working on the Phantom again! Yay!

• Like 1

I sort of agree with you on this one, but in certain cases I think. The F-4B has a gorgeous cockpit with beautiful detailing and you're right careful painting is all it really needed to look amazing.  

As you say you could say that about all AM stuff...... other than Aires cockpits!!! Please in those...... more like blood sweat & lots of tears with those sweethearts!! :D

The cockpit of my last F-14 was the Tamiya kit and all I used was the supplied decals & paint, the big Tornado was an Aires cockpit. I was really chuffed with both but they took quite a bit of time to do. I actually prefer to paint than use the Eduard ones (if there is detail to paint), I have used them but don't like the look at all.

IMG_2621-L.jpg

IMG_5044-L.jpg

Time now for me is something I don't have much of any more, so i don't mind cheating here.... it's also probably why I don't spend days on wheel wheels any more (or on AM ones), time and they'll never be seen by anyone ever again.

Guess it's all down to individual tastes.

• Like 4

Ok I fibbed, I couldn’t resist doing more on this build, needed something to rejuvenate the modelling mojo……. plus I love this build! :D

Ok the canopy was the first to be worked on, that join needed to go, so careful work with micro-mesh and polish and it’s nice and shiny with no ridges.

IMG_6388-L.jpg

Just a few wee bits to do in the cockpit then I could close up the fuselage……. and that went so well I even added the wings and the underside fuselage.

IMG_6393-L.jpg

The fit was just amazing though I had 2 wee problems, probably caused by me. First the LH wing/fuselage join, I probably it was caused when I joined the wings together. Some clamping and the small gap disappeared.

The second was with the fuselage insert under the cockpit, I somehow managed to get a gap at the front. Don’t know how I managed that as the wing fitted perfectly in the fuselage (excluding my wing gap), so I’m not 100% sure how I managed to do this???

IMG_6395-L.jpg

It’s not a hard gap to sort out, but a wee bit annoying though.

That done the canopy was masked and painted.

IMG_6397-L.jpg

IMG_6396-L.jpg

Next some test fitting of the new Hypersonic bang seats, fit nicely and will look good.

IMG_6398-L.jpg

Then some test fit to see how it all looks. As much as it looks some nice wings down, I really need the space and wings up looks pretty cool. To have both choices I’d need to come up with some sort of clever solution, magnets maybe.  Maybe for the next one.

IMG_6399-L.jpg

IMG_6400-L.jpg

IMG_6401-L.jpg

And finally a wee look at the weapons loadout, pretty much standard fair of the time, VF-31 at the time was doing Med deployments.

IMG_6402-L.jpg

Gosh I'm enjoying this, unfortunately due to work demands, it might be a few weeks before I can get back to this build.  :(

• Like 7

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4B Phantom II, VF-31 "Tomcatters" USS Saratoga 1966 - I couldn't help myself.......
  • 4 weeks later...

Well unfortunately I won’t be able to finish this one in time, still waiting for the decals for her. They have just been released but those highway robbers, Sprue Brothers :rant: , want $65 USD postage for a set of decals!!!!! :yikes:  And that’s just USPS as well, the decals are only $25! A $122 OZ, that’s more than the kit and extras cost!  :wacko:

That kind gentleman @helios16v :D has offered to see if he can get a set to me a wee bit cheaper, or I’ll just has to wait until 48ers just them in stock.

Anyway, lots done on her and she’s painted as well! :yahoo:

First off the new early type wing drop tanks form Hypersonic arrived, and wow are they nice and each tank comes in 2 pieces and includes the correct pylon as well.  🥰

IMG_6446-L.jpg

For the early F-4B’s, C’s, & some D’s these tanks are a must. While the shape is the same, they have double ridges running down each side (the later version only has one) and they have very noticeable welded seems on them. Seen here with the kit ones.

IMG_6447-L.jpg

IMG_6482-L.jpg

Everything was pretty much ready to start painting her, just some final touches to the intake to ensure they fit correctly as they will be fitted after painting.

She was given a coat of Tamiya flat white as a base coat, as mentioned elsewhere, the Tamiya acrylic paints are the perfect base for when using lacquer paints, in this case I’ll be using AK’s Real Color paints.

IMG_6478-L.jpg

Lots of wiggly lines, and yes, they were meant to be straight lines but I’m hopeless at doing that!

IMG_6479-L.jpg

....gratuitous stores shot!

IMG_6480-L.jpg

Then the first colour, Insignia White FS.17875, I forgot to take photos before masking for the next colour………

IMG_6483-L.jpg

IMG_6484-L.jpg

……, Light Gull Grey FS.36440.

IMG_6485-L.jpg

The finish was pretty close to spot on, the photos I have show very little patchiness in the finish, just dirty spots here and there. VF-31 only had these birds for 2 years before moving on to the F-4J. So I suspect this being a CAG bird she was in quite good condition. The intakes were then glued in place.

I did thought use some MRP White & Gull Grey (very sparingly as I’m almost out of both) and just worked some panels, and touched up other areas, hard to see in the following photos, but can in the flesh.

Then more masking then the “Coro-guard” leading edges (strangely Tamiya doesn’t mention these, but in the VF-31 birds you can see it), anti-glare panel, and red wing tips. This bird also has the Tan coloured radome.

IMG_6487-L.jpg

IMG_6488-L.jpg

IMG_6489-L.jpg

IMG_6490-L.jpg

...and even more gratuitous stores shots!

IMG_6493-L.jpg

IMG_6495-L.jpg

Finally, some photos with her younger sibling! Interestingly the grey is the same colour/paint on bother, it shows just how pre-shading can make a huge difference. The F-14A is also very early in her life with VF-31 so not so weathered.

IMG_6491-L.jpg

IMG_6492-L.jpg

This will probably be the last update in this build before it finishes, I’ll get Enzo to move it across to either the KUTA or WIP sections. I’m loving this build (and the F-14), can’t wait for the next Tamiya F-4, have fingers crossed it’s the J model!!!!  

• Like 8

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4B Phantom II, VF-31 "Tomcatters" USS Saratoga 1966 - painting completed

Really lovely builds Rich. Shame you will not have time to post in the gallery but great if you keep the work going and posting. Time will be tight with me also although I should be able to sneak in now with the extension till Nov 28.

Ray

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

ok after what seems forever an update, but this is the last update...... she's almost finished!!!  :yahoo:

The dramas/delays with getting the decals I want...... well I sort of have 2 set now, and I couldn't be happier to double up with these decals now!!!  They are AWESOME!!!! 

These Bullseye decal have to be the best I've ever used. They are super thin yet can handle a wee bit of rough treatment. The backing film, is barely visible, it barely sticks out from the printed edge! The printing, well it is the best I've seen, every tiny stencil is readable (and makes sense) under a magnifying glass.......... and it needs to be!

IMG_6598-L.jpg

Ok, yes there is a BUT....... they supply you with every style of stencil used on the F-4B but you have to work out which one is correct for your build.....not so easy in my case as there are no good detailed photos, so some guess work was required. The there are no numbering of any of the into/warning/caution stencils, just to make life interesting....hence why I know these stencils are readable! Anyway after going cross eyed over the past couple of days the decaying is done!

But on the good side again I have found a new way to dry off decals that works perfectly........ a cotton bud!  Once the decal is in place you just gently roll the cotton bud across the decal (rolling is the important bit, no rubbing), which gently squeezes out the water underneath, then gradually increase the pressure til it's dry. For decal that like to stick to things, use a damp cotton bud. That red arrow stripe on the fuselage was insanely thin at the end, the only safe way the dry it was with rolling the cotton bud, worked perfectly. I only managed to loose a couple of small stencil decals in the whole process which wasn't bad considering (they supply extras).

IMG_6597-L.jpg

She was also give a wash with some Flory Wash, it's the first time I've used this stuff and I'm sold!! It's awesome and soooooo easy to use.

IMG_6595-L.jpg

IMG_6596-L.jpg

The Radome is still just sitting there.

So I just need to give her a quick once over to finish the panel work then a clear coat, not 1005 sure if it should be a Flat or Semi Flat finish???

Then just a few more wee bit to finish off and she's done. I so love this model, that I will be using the 2nd set of decals to build a sister bird.

• Like 5

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4B Phantom II, VF-31 "Tomcatters" USS Saratoga 1966 - last post finally

…..and she’s done!!!! :yahoo:

There was very little left to do from the last update, just to finish off the seats, used some left over bit from Quinta Studio, and to finish of the stores.

I am so happy with this build a truly awesome model which I just can’t recommend enough!! I have another set of these decal being baby sat for me by @helios16v …..so I guess I just have to get another one! :D There were some variations of the schemes VF-31 used on their F-4B’s so it’ll be nice to have another one!

Plus the decals, these decals from Bullseye have to be the best I’ve ever used, they went on perfectly, they almost look painted on.

IMG_6642-X2.jpg

Well that’s it, I didn’t finish this one in time due to the delay in getting these decals, but it was worth the wait, an impressive addition to my growing VF-31 collection. Next up building a F-14D for the Strike/etc GB, plus have found decals for the very first F-14A scheme, so of course have to have those. :wub:

Thank you to those that stayed the distance, will post addition photos in the RFI section. 

IMG_6601-XL.jpg

IMG_6603-XL.jpg

IMG_6606-XL.jpg

IMG_6607-XL.jpg

IMG_6611-XL.jpg

IMG_6614-XL.jpg

IMG_6618-XL.jpg

IMG_6619-XL.jpg

IMG_6622-XL.jpg

IMG_6625-XL.jpg

IMG_6628-XL.jpg

.... plus the ever growing family photos..

IMG_6630-XL.jpg

• Like 11

• trickyrich changed the title to F-4B Phantom II, VF-31 "Tomcatters" USS Saratoga 1966 - completed
  • 2 months later...