Ant Flying Day

Des

Was a nice enough today , warm with high cloud and a bit breezy but around 6 p.m. skies cleared , wind dropped and with direct sunlight to dry wings flying ants started to seethe out of between the slabs in the back garden and take to the air , standard garden ants give an impression of their larger size.

p?i=50cdb28cb60685605e8b817f7ff234c7

p?i=2b18b357f64ba08a33d6ab311682f5fa

p?i=7b77999ff73cfcc56c3c165f4c0195a5

• Like 4

Early summer we get one or two nosing around in the kitchen until they eventually give up and stay outside.

Used to live in the Stenhousemuir area of Falkirk which was one giant sandpit once you got a few feet down and was one giant ant's nest according to the council pest control officer.

He used to come out every spring and spray something that acted as a chemical barrier around the foundations and entry steps of every home that requested it and that worked a treat , one of the many council services that we took as normal until we moved north to the birthplace of Scotland.    Other than that he said that the big secret was not so much food sources such as crumbs but water lying overnight even just as droplets on a washing board were a big attraction.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

For anyone who really doesn't like insects..... Just remember that for every human on the planet, there are about 1 Billion insects. They outnumber us by a VERY serious margin. 

Chris. 

A very necessary nuisance. The planet wouldn't last long without them.

Except horseflies. I'm not sure what they contribute. 😀