Trumpeter 1/350 Richelieu

MRMRL

Hi, I've just joined the Britmodeller clan and this is my first ready for inspection posting, although it's not my first model, I've been building quietly for about 10 years - not including time doing so with my Dad when I was younger. I tend to build out of the box (adding detail kits OOB as well) and I'm more than happy to take some artistic license with colour details and rigging for effect. I'd say that overall I'm better at the construction side and not so good at painting (I never was), but I've improved somewhat on both fronts over the years. 10 years ago I built a first attempt at HMS Hood and couldn't figure out how to attach the three photo-etch parts that came with the kit - a full detail-up set was my idea of a nightmare - now I won't build a ship without one - funny how that goes. Here is my latest work, Trumpeter's 1/350 Richelieu with the Flyhawk detail kit and Artwox wooden deck. It went together pretty well for the most part, especially for an older Trumpy offering. The etch kit instructions were pretty hard to follow, seems that the paperwork is definitely where the etch sets show their differences.

spacer.png spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 21

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

20 hours ago, Jerry L said:

Welcome aboard, your work looks very nice. Looking forward to seeing your next build, hopefully it will be a builders log.

I'll have a go at doing a builders log, I'm not great at remembering to take pictures during a build, good habit to get into though

13 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, that's a very beautiful model, very nicely detailed. Now that you've whetted our appetites, what's next? 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

I've got a few things lined up on the bench Jeff, I'm not fussy on subject (ships are the first love though), but I'm finishing off a Tamiya T-72 at the moment, and then it's on to Trumpeter 1/32 A-10 Warthog. Not sure what I'll move onto after that - we've got a new baby in the house, so I'll see how the progress goes. I've got a few recent builds I will try to add to the galleries in the meantime.

2 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Very nice example you've made there. She's a great looking ship, I'm just in the closing stages of her little sister Dunkerque, so I'm tempted to do Richelieu as well, 

Likewise, looks like I'm going in the opposite order - I've got Dunkerque in the stash, I expect they will look great alongside each other, I love the oversized front loaded turret layout. How is the kit for Dunkerque? It's a lot newer than the Richelieu one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MRMRL said:

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

I'll have a go at doing a builders log, I'm not great at remembering to take pictures during a build, good habit to get into though

I've got a few things lined up on the bench Jeff, I'm not fussy on subject (ships are the first love though), but I'm finishing off a Tamiya T-72 at the moment, and then it's on to Trumpeter 1/32 A-10 Warthog. Not sure what I'll move onto after that - we've got a new baby in the house, so I'll see how the progress goes. I've got a few recent builds I will try to add to the galleries in the meantime.

Likewise, looks like I'm going in the opposite order - I've got Dunkerque in the stash, I expect they will look great alongside each other, I love the oversized front loaded turret layout. How is the kit for Dunkerque? It's a lot newer than the Richelieu one.

Generally very good, haven't had many issues with the kit, found some of the column/supports that go under the forward superstructure a touch short but that could have been my mistake. A few minor issues with the kit PE which is pretty extensive really, 

My build thread is;

I belive there is a dedicated upgrade set for her now but I decided against it as between with that on top of the aftermarket barrells and aa guns I'd be trebling what I paid for the kit plus at the time had never tried photo etch properly so wasn't sure if I'd get on with it or not, 

Flyhawks generally good? I've got their set for hood and will likely use their for Richelieu and also Repulse when I get to it

Sam

• Like 1

13 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

Generally very good, haven't had many issues with the kit, found some of the column/supports that go under the forward superstructure a touch short but that could have been my mistake. A few minor issues with the kit PE which is pretty extensive really, 

My build thread is;

Flyhawks generally good? I've got their set for hood and will likely use their for Richelieu and also Repulse when I get to it

Sam

Hi Sam, loving your Dunkerque build, looking really tidy.

I'd say on the whole you get a lot of bang for your buck with the older flyhawk detail kits, a good level of detail for the price (especially compared to pontos, infini or very fire which are often heading towards £200), good etch, less resin, not so great instructions 🙁

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Beautiful model, beautiful ship. It has come out really very nicely and the cleanness of the pe work and rigging is something I aspire to.  The only thing I would raise concern about is the working conditions in those 15in turrets, they do look a tad cramped.

Yes please on the build log next time and uploading the other completes! If you don't mind me suggesting, after a tank and a plane (both admittedly v good choices - for somethings that dont float anyway 😃), I think you need something floaty. It'll probably be a great addition to your new child's bedroom (out of reach ofc)!

David

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 7:53 PM, S-boat 55 said:

Sam

I have used the Hood Flyhawk etch set ( and reviewed it here - http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/trumpeter/flyhawk350set.htm?code=350098 )

The Flyhawk Instruction sheet  for HOOD is pretty poor , more guesswork than I prefer was involved -

I found the etch itself great and easy to use , well engineered , you just needed your ' Anatomy of the Ship - Hood ' to hand to use most of it !!

I also used the Eduard Etch set for HOOD , and it was a revelation - concise and easy to use instructions , great fit , and 

it provided missing detail that Flyhawk didn't bother with , plus it needed less ' guesswork ' than Flyhawk

I found the Flyhawk Repulse etch set instructions sheet  , far , far better 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 73north said:

I have used the Hood Flyhawk etch set ( and reviewed it here - http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/models/trumpeter/flyhawk350set.htm?code=350098 )

The Flyhawk Instruction sheet  for HOOD is pretty poor , more guesswork than I prefer was involved -

I found the etch itself great and easy to use , well engineered , you just needed your ' Anatomy of the Ship - Hood ' to hand to use most of it !!

I also used the Eduard Etch set for HOOD , and it was a revelation - concise and easy to use instructions , great fit , and 

it provided missing detail that Flyhawk didn't bother with , plus it needed less ' guesswork ' than Flyhawk

I found the Flyhawk Repulse etch set instructions sheet  , far , far better 

Well following the link it turns out your review is one of those that led to to picking the set up, small world this modelling malarkey 

• Haha 1

Yeah , with the Hood - I got there in the end - it is a small world 

MjS2wN5l.jpg

I liked doing the review , I actually DID enclose photos of the Flyhawk instruction sheet - but the Association never used them in my review !

one piece of advice , invest in the Eduard etch set for Hood ( you won't regret it ) that and the Micromaster Turrets ( I did ) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 73north said:

Yeah , with the Hood - I got there in the end - it is a small world 

MjS2wN5l.jpg

I liked doing the review , I actually DID enclose photos of the Flyhawk instruction sheet - but the Association never used them in my review !

one piece of advice , invest in the Eduard etch set for Hood ( you won't regret it ) that and the Micromaster Turrets ( I did ) 

I've actually already got it, I figured get both sets for the reason you said, hoping to use any spare for making my warspite a bit nicer, means she'll be part done for a while though, 

I picked up flyhawks turrets, not sure if they look slightly small or not though, 

Bringing it full circle here though, I'm pretty confident the wife has just got me richelieu for our anniversary, think I might post fate her to 1946ish or maybe take her back to her 1940 fit, just need to finish myc carriers now lol

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 9:03 PM, S-boat 55 said:

I've actually already got it, I figured get both sets for the reason you said, hoping to use any spare for making my warspite a bit nicer, means she'll be part done for a while though, 

I picked up flyhawks turrets, not sure if they look slightly small or not though, 

Bringing it full circle here though, I'm pretty confident the wife has just got me richelieu for our anniversary, think I might post fate her to 1946ish or maybe take her back to her 1940 fit, just need to finish myc carriers now lol

YyKQc0ul.jpg

Micromaster ( from New Zealand ) 1/350 HMS Hood Next Generation 3D  Printed Turrets - take a look at these compared to your Resin Flyhawk replacements 

• Like 2