Unimog kit rescue

Hi all! This morning, I did feel like doing some modelling but the stuff I have on the go just wouldn't do it for me. Now what? Easy: start something new, of course. You know how it is. 

However, new is not exactly the right word here. I've had this Revell 1/24 Unimog kit in my stash for a couple of years now. It came very cheap, being a second hand kit which had been worked on already. I knew this when I bought it, I thought I'd see if it had potential and if not I'd bin it. In fact, it turned out to be a borderline case but I thought I'd be able to breathe some life back into it at some point. 

The kit is the UN version: 

20200207184243-2456a495.jpg

which I'm not going to build. My original plan was to convert it into a camper, but I don't want to spend that much time on it. That conversion will require a lot of detail. I've decided I'm going for a small flatbed. 

About a year and a half ago I looked at what I had, which was this: 

20200207184243-b05ec86b-me.jpg

No cleanup done on the parts, half painted, and glued with what I think is just regular hobby glue. It all fell apart rather quickly. I think this was done by some wee lad (or lass) who bit off more then he or she could chew. No matter, we've all been there. 

I took everything apart and ended up with this: 

20200207184244-b1fc1617-me.jpg

I dunked the chassis and engine in some iso, but the paint wouldn't budge. After which I returned everything to the box. I did open it back up a few times but was not exactly motivated by this lot. 

But: today it called out to me and I put it on the bench. I just started on page 1 of the instructions and worked my way forward like with a new kit. Some new attachment points were needed because of damage done, but nothing too bad. I've finished the front drive train, it will never be perfect of course but there's no need for that. 

20210814175333-5a1752ee-me.jpg

20210814175333-36295df8-me.jpg

I removed as much of the seams as I could and used a bucket load of TET which seems to work. I'm going to let this harden before moving on to the rear axle assembly and the rest of the bits and pieces on the chassis. 

A while ago, as I was shopping for truck wheels, I did buy some better wheels for the kit to replace the vinyl tyres which are awful. These are from KFS and they look much better.

20210814180352-b4adffbd-me.jpg

So, I'll be working on this one for a bit, see if the mojo will return.  

Thanks for watching!

• Like 11

Well, looks like mojo has indeed returned. Rear axle and suspension finished. This side is better because some parts have actually come off the sprues. 

20210814232152-3e3d8b8d-me.jpg

20210814232151-897bc0ce-me.jpg

More tomorrow.

• Like 9

Built a couple of OOTB but well weathered Unimog trucks some time ago. Make nice finished model. I will watch progress as I am sure it will be above average when done.

• Like 1

I guess Forest Gump's mama was right, a pre-owned kit is like a box of chocolates... 

I used these parts which hold the air suspension in place as they were in the box when I got it, because they didn't fall apart on me.

20210815115233-d00b2ea3-me.jpg

However, when I wanted to mount the shocks this morning I found that the top part in the picture, the one with the 2 pointy bits, is the wrong way around! I checked if I could take them apart but things started breaking off so I reversed double quick. 

And cut them off. 

20210815115233-2fff8928-me.jpg

Then, after a bit of figuring, I cut 4 parts and even managed to get them more or less of the same shape and size. 

20210815115234-5302f3d5-me.jpg

I then glued the shocks in place using my newly cut parts. 

20210815115234-198a62fb-me.jpg

20210815115235-ce6cc7a9-me.jpg

A bit rough but you'll never know. 

After that little excursion I finished the chassis. 

20210815115235-b6f62cd5-me.jpg

20210815115236-d69337b6-me.jpg

It's going to look better in paint, which I hope to get done today. More later!

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Old John said:

Built a couple of OOTB but well weathered Unimog trucks some time ago. Make nice finished model. I will watch progress as I am sure it will be above average when done.

Thanks John, it should make a decent model, the truck's appearence should distract from the rough spots 🙂 

Chassis in grey primer, I will paint it black or Nato black this evening. 

20210815165815-1c4b6326-me.jpg

Also grey primer for the basic interior, which will be painted black. No fuss. 

20210815165816-b8aeb8d3-me.jpg

I found a lone can of British Green and thought why not? 

20210815165816-22647b50-me.jpg

20210815165813-2e49fcb9-me.jpg

I cut a piece of card for the roof, normally this is a part with a hatch to access a machine gun. Not this time. The doors open but I glued them shut, I don't care for it on this build. Makes painting easier as well. 

• Like 8

Looks good as I thought it would. I am on the Scania T143H 6x2 after a 4week lull in modelling. Just out of box + rear axel lift a per your conversion.Did you finish that one ? as it seemed to disappear after you got the cab done.Mine will just be the blue one as I did not want anything complicated  

54 minutes ago, Old John said:

Looks good as I thought it would. I am on the Scania T143H 6x2 after a 4week lull in modelling. Just out of box + rear axel lift a per your conversion.Did you finish that one ? as it seemed to disappear after you got the cab done.Mine will just be the blue one as I did not want anything complicated  

I'd like to see your Scania when it's done. Mine's not finished, it's still in the same state as when I finished the cab. I'll get to it eventually... Other stuff just keeps popping up. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I cut a piece of card for the roof, normally this is a part with a hatch to access a machine gun. Not this time. The doors open but I glued them shut, I don't care for it on this build. Makes painting easier as well. 

What? No machine gun? ;)

I found this kit a while ago (also second hand only the engine was partly started) but managed to stop myself from buying it. Based on your experience of this kit during the build I might go back and get it after all...Great work so far.

Edited by dbostream

40 minutes ago, dbostream said:

What? No machine gun? ;)

Nah, I'm keeping a 12 gauge under the dash 🙂 

41 minutes ago, dbostream said:

I found this kit a while ago (also second hand only the engine was partly started) but managed to stop myself from buying it. Based on your experience of this kit during the build I might go back and get it after all...Great work so far.

If you have (almost) all the parts still on the sprues I'd recommend getting it. This truck has such a distinct look. Only thing that's off-putting about this kit are the vinyl tyres, but maybe later versions have rubber ones. Print new ones (if you have access to a 3D printer) or buy them, like I did. Well... in my case the wheels cost way more than the kit 😄

This evening, as I was browsing for "various shades of black" I came across X-18 semi gloss black and chose that for the chassis. Just because I can and it looks nice 🙂 

20210815205103-a5430093-me.jpg

I got a lot done this weekend, it kind of feels like a Blitzbuild weekend. I'm very happy with the results so far and I aim to finish this one in the coming week. Unfortunately, I'm starting work again tomorrow so play time will be reduced. 

20210815205102-abd7d80c-me.jpg

Thanks for looking, more later!

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

If you have (almost) all the parts still on the sprues I'd recommend getting it. This truck has such a distinct look. Only thing that's off-putting about this kit are the vinyl tyres, but maybe later versions have rubber ones. Print new ones (if you have access to a 3D printer) or buy them, like I did. Well... in my case the wheels cost way more than the kit 😄

Any chance you can show the tires included in the kit?

Great rapid progress on this one your mojo has most certainly returned.

This will look stunning when finished!

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 1

@dbostream Here's a pic of the tyres. 

20210816152335-2685f249-me.jpg

They're shiny (but you can dull them down) and they're really soft and squishy (you can fill them with tissue paper or something). At least the tread looks ok. 

• Like 1

My Unimog cab will not have a gloss finish, I'm going to apply a little weathering and step 1 is to tone down the Racing Green 🙂 

In cases like this I brush on Vallejo's Matt varnish, well thinned so it takes a while but I prefer it over spraying. The brushed finish is just a little rougher too which is a good base for weathering. 

20210816170611-90c36f3d-me.jpg

It's not quite ready yet, I'll apply a couple of very thinned "wet coats" next which should even out the last bits.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hate you! I can't brush an area larger than 2/2cm without getting brush marks and you do that like it's child's play. Chapeau bas!

What may help is this video, it's by Plastix, one of the members on this forum. I tried his method and it works for me. Of course, he's really good at it. Ground "rules" are: a nice flat brush, thin paint and don't paint in the same direction all the time. Oh and a bit of patience helps too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

@dbostream Here's a pic of the tyres. 

20210816152335-2685f249-me.jpg

They're shiny (but you can dull them down) and they're really soft and squishy (you can fill them with tissue paper or something). At least the tread looks ok. 

Yeah would definitely have to do something about the shine.

1 hour ago, bmwh548 said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but I hate you! I can't brush an area larger than 2/2cm without getting brush marks and you do that like it's child's play. Chapeau bas!

The only way I have managed to avoid brush marks is to thin the paint like crazy. Means I have to apply many coats and as Jeroen said have patience.

23 minutes ago, dbostream said:

The only way I have managed to avoid brush marks is to thin the paint like crazy. Means I have to apply many coats and as Jeroen said have patience.

Yep that's it. I always brush paint with Vallejo Model Colour paints. They have lots of pigments and you can thin them using tap water. I brush on a coat, use a hairdryer to dry it, next coat, repeat.