OV10-A a random question

darthspud

Could an OV-10A have a weapons pylon fitted to the wing, outside of the booms?

Think I'd like to maybe fit a AGM114 Hellfire one side and a single maverick the other.

Thoughts from those in the know please.

58 minutes ago, darthspud said:

Think I'd like to maybe fit a AGM114 Hellfire one side and a single maverick the other.

Being pedantic you might find that a Maverick is overweight for the OV-10 unless you WHIF some beefier pylons and the configuration might pose the pilot some interesting handling challenges.  To offer you an alternative suggestion: Hellfire missiles on the underwing pylons, rocket pods fitted to the stub pylons and a centreline gunpod or sensor pod - a sort of fixed wing substitute for an AH-64 Apache ...?

Wasn't sure of the weight limitations on wing points. Might just put a GBU38 on one and a pair of hellfire on the other, centreline big JDAM and remove all other hardpoints. I'm putting another ejection seat in and a rear  cockpit. If I had a Vulcan I'd fit that to the roof line. Or I might put it on the centreline.

Many thanks Richard. Think I have all of the munitions, most already to use, a few yet to come out of their packaging. If I whif it, I'll sub AIM 9X for the earlier version

Hi Darthspur,

The YOV-10D Night Observation Gunship System version used in Vietnam had a M197 20mm gun on the belly and a F.L.I.R. detector/laser target designator under the nose.  It was successful but there were no funds for it.

The old Airfix kit has these features and two Hellfire missiles, (which definitely were NOT used in Nam') one for each of the wing pylons.  The proposed OV-10X would have used two Hellfires on each underling pylon, but again, funding never showed up.

I don't have a lot of info on the OV-10Gs used in Afghanistan except they had a laser designator in the nose and the four-bladed Hartzell props.

Trying to decide if I want to build my Airfix kit but REALLY want to complete my Academy OV-10 with Philippine Air Force decals and somebody's four-bladed props (COME ON, QuickBoost!).

Please post some pics,

WARDOG

Edited by WARDOG
Corrections

On 8/14/2021 at 10:16 PM, WARDOG said:

Hi Darthspur,

The YOV-10D Night Observation Gunship System version used in Vietnam had a M197 20mm gun on the belly and a F.L.I.R. detector/laser target designator under the nose.  It was successful but there were no funds for it.

The old Airfix kit has these features and two Hellfire missiles, (which definitely were NOT used in Nam') one for each of the wing pylons.  The proposed OV-10X would have used two Hellfires on each underling pylon, but again, funding never showed up.

I don't have a lot of info on the OV-10Gs used in Afghanistan except they had a laser designator in the nose and the four-bladed Hartzell props.

Trying to decide if I want to build my Airfix kit but REALLY want to complete my Academy OV-10 with Philippine Air Force decals and somebody's four-bladed props (COME ON, QuickBooks!).

Please post some pics,

WARDOG

Wardog,

The OV-10G+ was tested in Iraq, not Afghanistan.

The forward EO/IR/Lazer designator was a Wescam MX-15HDi turret.

Munitions used in theater were 7 shot extended LAU-68 F/A launcher using the APKWS 2.75" rockets, mounted on the outboard stub pylon stations. Testing was also done with similar 5" rockets, but I don't know if they were used in theater.

Centerline was an Aero 1C 150 Gallon tank. Wing pylons were not installed.

Cheers!

Hoops

Edited by Hoops
  • Like 1

Made a start. New engines n props. Scratch -building the cockpit (as there isn't one). Going about it in a different way and not painting some parts until construction of sub-assembly has been completed.

As far as VAL-4 OV-10As in Vietnam went, it appears it was rockets all the way (image is taken from an AOA Decals sheet):

AOA+decals+Black+Ponies+OV-10A_VAL-4+in+

However, if you want to spice things up a little, nothing says fun like cluster bombs...

CBUs-300x198.jpg

AOA+decals+Black+Ponies+OV-10A_VAL-4+in+

You could try an experimental load of minigun and Hellfires, but I'm not sure this is the variant you're looking for.

ov10bronco-proto.jpg

ov-10d_155395_fb_1a_2.jpg

ov-10-nog.jpg

Otherwise, there's always a boring ol' load of training bombs:

a-19th-aircraft-generation-squadron-grou

• Like 2