Cessna O-1 Bird Dog, 124th Observation Squadron, VNAF, Bien Hoa, S Vietnam

This is beautiful!  I'd say your "attempt" at this Roden kit is "successful."  I have a personal connection.  My father flew on these as an artillery observer to call in fires during his first tour in Tay Ninh, Vietnam, '65-'66.  At that time, the O-1s were owned by the U.S. Army, and of course lacked armor--and flown by warrant officer pilots.  He was very proud of his air medal, and you've done justice to this subject.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is beautiful!  I'd say your "attempt" at this Roden kit is "successful."  I have a personal connection.  My father flew on these as an artillery observer to call in fires during his first tour in Tay Ninh, Vietnam, '65-'66.  At that time, the O-1s were owned by the U.S. Army, and of course lacked armor--and flown by warrant officer pilots.  He was very proud of his air medal, and you've done justice to this subject.  

Thanks very much, glad your father survived it all. I intended to do it as an early Army bird in tiger stripe camo` but stalled finding decals for it.

Cheers Russ 

• Thanks 1

Lovely work Russ - I'm sure the engine components can't have been mission critical 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Very nice build of a kit that I have heard is very challenging. Your choice of markings reminded me of the one I saw at the NMNA at Pensacola that was flown by its pilot to a safe landing on the U.S.S. Midway during the Viet Nam War. See the link below for the story and video.

Mike

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/that-time-a-south-vietnamese-o-1-bird-dog-landed-aboard-uss-midway/

• Thanks 1

Another stunning build, you must have quite a collection of South East Asia aircrfat by now!

Great story linked by 72modeller as well, with the video of the landing on the USS Midway.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ForestFan said:

Very nicely done. Can I ask how’s the kit? I’ve heard it’s very challenging which has put me off buying one. Looking at yours has reinstated my interest in getting one!

Thanks Bryn. I found it to be a struggle at times. The transparencies aren`t very clear ( it took a lot of polishing to get them as good as they are and they`re not that great now ) or a good fit, esp` the roof windows. the engine is very fiddley and the bulk head is not a great fit which doesn`t help. I left some of the engine parts out so I could align it with the front cowl easier.

The fit of the rest of the kit isn`t too bad though ( you`ve done their T-28 so along those lines 🙂 )

I only used a few of the kit decals, stencils mainly and those I did worked ok, but the carrier film sometimes carries other stencils ie the ones for the other side on it.

I preferred the Model USA kit to this one except the front windscreen is much easier on this ( the Roden kit ) to get lined up and fitted.

Hope this helps 

Cheers Russ

BTW Hannants has got the Roden kit on special offer at minute if you decide to go ahead and get one

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Thanks Bryn. I found it to be a struggle at times. The transparencies aren`t very clear ( it took a lot of polishing to get them as good as they are and they`re not that great now ) or a good fit, esp` the roof windows. the engine is very fiddley and the bulk head is not a great fit which doesn`t help. I left some of the engine parts out so I could align it with the front cowl easier.

The fit of the rest of the kit isn`t too bad though ( you`ve done their T-28 so along those lines 🙂 )

I only used a few of the kit decals, stencils mainly and those I did worked ok, but the carrier film sometimes carries other stencils ie the ones for the other side on it.

I preferred the Model USA kit to this one except the front windscreen is much easier on this ( the Roden kit ) to get lined up and fitted.

Hope this helps 

Cheers Russ

BTW Hannants has got the Roden kit on special offer at minute if you decide to go ahead and get one

Thanks Russ, much appreciated. I live in hope ICM will do one of these! Will take a look at the Hannants offer tho 👍

Beautiful job on this bird!  I'm going to give a shot at the old Airfix kit one of these days.  I can only hope that mine turns out half as well as this one!

Ed

• Thanks 1

Very nice. I like the use of brake lines to strengthen the u/c. Very creative.

Have you ever read A Lonely Kind of War? A brilliantly told memoir of a FAC in Vietnam. I think you might enjoy it. (Ex-bookseller speaking)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lonely-Kind-War-Forward-Controller-ebook/dp/B0793V8K19/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=lonely+kind+of+war&qid=1629104916&sr=8-2

• Thanks 1