Where's that confounded bridge? - Revell 1/72 Hawker Hunter FGA.9

18 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Coming along nicely and at a furious pace too. Done by the weekend?

Craig

Thanks Craig,

Not a chance of that I'm afraid I'm back at work on Thursday. :rant:

Cheers,

Alistair

Not much to report here,

The fuselage has been primed.

ItkiaE7.jpg

And some Alclad High Speed Silver applied to the underside.

udJIDvt.jpg

A little work required still but I'll leave that to cook completely before fixing and masking up.

I'm thinking I'll apply a coat or two of aqua Gloss to protect the Alclad as is seem pretty fragile. 

Thanls for looking,

Chheers,

Alistair

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks very nice indeed with the high speed silver on , oooooo imagine a bear metal Hunter, that would look pretty spectacular. 

Great work fella

Chris

Thanks Chris,

That would look pretty sweet, yes.

2 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Ooh, shiney! 

Craig.

Thanks Craig,

I've given it a couple of light misty coats over the faulty bit and it's covered it up nicely.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

I got woken up early this morning so got on with some stuff.

Masking, Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green.

nYmjTMR.jpg

o2pmNWX.jpg

gAUUAI5.jpg

WeoAKiD.jpg

D7Eh5Ea.jpg

x8m9kxa.jpg

Some work is needed on the Port wing where I spilled some paint and on the Starboard where I've got the camo completely wrong.

Nothing major though and no creep under the tape on the fuselage or underwing masking, so, all in all, reasonably chuffed.

I'm going to let the paint cook off properly, give the bit I need to look at a light sanding to smooth it all out and then respray.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 10

Just now, Dandie Dinmont said:

Very smart looking Alistair! Try not to follow my usual practice and remove the paint right down to the plastic with your “light sanding” (not that I really have any fears that you will do so). 

Craig. 

Thanks Craig,

Yup I've done that myself on more than one occasion.

Cheers,

Alistair 

Just had a flick through this month’s Flypast and there’s a short article by someone who flew this very aircraft at the Tactical Weapons Unit as part of his training. Apparently it was quite a change from the Hawk he’d previously been training on!

Craig. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Just had a flick through this month’s Flypast and there’s a short article by someone who flew this very aircraft at the Tactical Weapons Unit as part of his training. Apparently it was quite a change from the Hawk he’d previously been training on!

Craig. 

Thanks Craig I'll need to read that one.

10 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Ah, I’ve seen that kitchen sink before  😄 reminding me of that Shack…… 😛.     😉

It may or may not have had a role in various builds. I will neither confirm nor deny this. :whistle::lalala::wicked:

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

Some more masking and painting this morning.

Flat White, Nato Black, Clear Red and Clear Green.

BXvvtDD.jpg

g4A7xZx.jpg

8hgSJP9.jpg

en0OGTc.jpg

The undercarriage doors, pylons and air brake have been sprayed with High Speed silver and Airframe Aluminium.

The fuselage has had a clear coat so once that's dry I'll get on with the transfers.

This, believe it or not, is the reason this has been sat in the pile for so long as I'm going to have to try and place the doors in position and the cut the decals round them. Pathetic isn't it*.

More later.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair.

* ©Sirius Cybernetic Corporation.

• Like 5

Sorry, I was distracted from the fine paintwork by the blazing sunshine you were apparently enjoying this morning. I literally couldn't see the end of the garden (and it's not that big a garden) when I got up this morning, though it does seem to be brightening up now. Also, I think I have the same vice (the thing the model's attached to not..oh you know). Aldi special?

17 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

This, believe it or not, is the reason this has been sat in the pile for so long as I'm going to have to try and place the doors in position and the cut the decals round them. Pathetic isn't it*.

Well to be fair, it would be tough doing it what with the terrible pain in all the diodes down your left hand side. Or is it right hand side? Drat, I'm going to have to listen to the tapes again.

Model? What mod..oh right. This is looking better and better Alistair and I'm sure the decals will prove no obstacle to your relentless progress. That underside is looking particularly spiffy!

Craig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Craig.

It started off a bit misty here too but it has turned out nice and sunny.

24 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I think I have the same vice (the thing the model's attached to not..oh you know). Aldi special?

Absolutely spot on. Cheap and very useful.

25 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Drat, I'm going to have to listen to the tapes again.

And that's never a bad thing. I still have the cassettes as well as cd's and LP's. Again pathetic isn't it.

Left Hand Side, I think.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Main transfers are on.

Bk8h0Au.jpg

u1lTR6M.jpg

lsXbyll.jpg

id2FMxO.jpg

Gthu3W0.jpg

And now we come to the underwing serials. :wall:

The first set I put on by placing the doors in as near place as I could manage and then slicing the decal in place. This ended up a tad messy but the second set only covered the main door piece and the wing so I scored the decal around the part and it went on a lot better but some stupid idiot didn't check the alignment properly and it is squint. :angry:.

Elv6vnr.jpg

Stuff it they're on the underside and won't be seen in the cabinet. I'll be able to live with it.

I'm aware that this plane was not the actual one involved in the Incident but these were the transfers on the sheet and this was Flt. Lt. Pollock's usual mount.

They've been hit with softener and I'll get on with the stencil data later.

Anyway,

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Well, Alistair, I have just caught up on this build, and you have whizzed through it.

As for the Alcad, I have noticed it to be a bit fragile too.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

I knew I had a lot of masking to do over the top of the Alclad so it's been Aqua Glossed and I've been nicely surprised by the way it interacts with the Alclad and it doesn't lose too much of the metallic look.

We'll see how the rest of this goes as I'm a bit disappointed with my decalling mistake.

I'll get over it but it's taken the shine off for the moment.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I'll get over it but it's taken the shine off for the moment.

I wouldn’t have noticed the mistake if you hadn’t pointed out and I doubt if anyone else will once all the undercarriage bits are fitted. Don’t let it get you down. Besides, you have to maintain your formidable reputation for shooting yourself in the foot at least once in every build and then making a fantastic recovery!

Craig. 

• Haha 2

Just wallowing in self pity over a stupid error.

As I say it's only plastic and once the undercarriage is on and it's in the cabinet it'll probably look ok.

Tomorrow will be a fresh day and I'll get on with the stencils and take it from there.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Alistair,  like Craig, I would not have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it, and once the undercarriage gear and doors are on it will be nigh on impossible to tell anyway.   The paint scheme looks great fella and it's good to see the sink back too. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Alistair,  like Craig, I would not have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it, and once the undercarriage gear and doors are on it will be nigh on impossible to tell anyway.   The paint scheme looks great fella and it's good to see the sink back too. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I've stopped kicking myself and you are right it will never be seen especially as I can control the camera angles. :wicked::whistle:.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2