Irish Air Corps. Airfix 1/48th Chippie

So, this is my second one, and, as my previous one no real issues were found during the build particularly if you remove the locating pins on the wings and make sure all paint and burrs are removed from parts before fitting them together.

Even though I've closed the cockpit on this one I still found I had to remove some fuselage plastic behind the rear shelf so that the rear of the canopy could sit flush. 

The only extras I added were some seatbelts and a tiny bit of detailing on the propeller boss. I'm not sure why, but later service IAC Chippies flew without spinners.

Decals have been modified from a Max Decals sheet to represent an aircraft later in IAC service and of course an excuse to use some more dayglo.

Thanks for looking.

51375028167_6402a90e7f_b.jpgIAC C1 

51375029242_e34796ce81_b.jpgIAC C2 

51375793616_78fab7ba00_b.jpgIAC C3 

51375029652_97524cb94b_b.jpgIAC C4 

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

Beauty!!!  I like the IAC emblem on your base. Neat. And a very nice clean build.

I have just received my second one so I can make a start on one soon.  One thing I noticed and found a little disquieting is the way the sprue frame attachments to the wing leadingedge is a bit scary. The point I am referring to is the sprue attachment at the leading edge root and where it joins the delicate stall strip. It needs careful parting to avoid damaging the nice sharp edge to the area.

• Thanks 1

Really like it. Actually I intended building the same Chippie, 169. A mate of mine restored an ex British Chipmunk as 169 but in it's delivery scheme. The original 169 was scrapped, surely a criminal offence. 

But I wanted to build it as I remembered it, complete with faded dayglo just as you've built it. 

The trouble is that to order the kit at the moment you pay as much again for the postage. I'm not paying fifty quid for a Chippie. So I have to wait until I get it locally or Amazon prime gives free delivery. I'll buy several then because there are so many schemes. 

That looks really beautiful and the Dayglo application is perfect. Can you advise what Orange paint you used and if it was applied over any particular base coat? 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

14 minutes ago, noelh said:

The trouble is that to order the kit at the moment you pay as much again for the postage.

Try Jadlam. Not sure where you are but I'm in Australia, recently bought the new Airfix Vulcan from them. Postage was something like GBP9.00 and it took a little over two weeks to get here, which is pretty fast by current standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, zebra said:

Try Jadlam. Not sure where you are but I'm in Australia, recently bought the new Airfix Vulcan from them. Postage was something like GBP9.00 and it took a little over two weeks to get here, which is pretty fast by current standards.

They don't ship to EU countries for some odd reason , I live in Ireland, we actually share a border with the UK as in part of Ireland is in the UK. Bizarre Brexit idiocy.😒 However if I was posted to Antarctica, no problem. 🤔

It's kafkaesque. 

Meanwhile Amazon and other retailers have figured it out. It's hard to understand how so many British sellers cut themselves off from potential buyers because they can't be bothered to work out what's required. 

Edited by noelh

12 minutes ago, noelh said:

They don't ship to EU countries, I live in Ireland, we actually share a border with the UK as in part of Ireland is in the UK. Bizarre Brexit idiocy.😒 However if I was posted to Antarctica, no problem. 🤔

It's kafkaesque. 

So it's cheaper to get it to Australia than to Ireland (I just ordered one - 28 quid including postage). Trying to avoid straying into the politics of it, but that's just insane.

Hi,

another nice one!  Have to put my fingers out and grab one, or two. Airfix is on the right way with these thing like Chipmung, Tigermoth and all these rare things that we need urgently 😀😀😀😀

Cheers

Andy

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That looks really beautiful and the Dayglo application is perfect. Can you advise what Orange paint you used and if it was applied over any particular base coat? 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

Thank you. My usual ‘go to’ dayglo is Xtracolor X253 (Leuchtorange) but I’ve become quite fond of AK Real Color lately so I gave their RC207

(Leuchtorange) a go. I think it’s just as good but you must apply it (and the Xtracolor one) over a solid white undercoat. Have fun.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, noelh said:

They don't ship to EU countries for some odd reason , I live in Ireland, we actually share a border with the UK as in part of Ireland is in the UK. Bizarre Brexit idiocy.😒 However if I was posted to Antarctica, no problem. 🤔

It's kafkaesque. 

Meanwhile Amazon and other retailers have figured it out. It's hard to understand how so many British sellers cut themselves off from potential buyers because they can't be bothered to work out what's required. 

You ought to try it sometime rather than just suppose everyone is too lazy to learn. To compare a multinational goliath like Amazon to an independent model shop is at best misguided.

On 14/08/2021 at 02:54, noelh said:

It's kafkaesque. 

Seems odd to blame the UK when the problem that all UK retailers having is with the EU and its rules. As you say, they manage to ship to everywhere but the EU (as do Hannnants) but the problem isn't the EU it's UK retailers? Odd logic.

1 hour ago, Phoenix44 said:

Seems odd to blame the UK when the problem that all UK retailers having is with the EU and its rules. As you say, they manage to ship to everywhere but the EU (as do Hannnants) but the problem isn't the EU it's UK retailers? Odd logic.

Where did I blame the UK? I'm not in the blame game. I commented on the difficulties in ordering from some UK retailers. It works both ways too. Arma's minimum order to the UK is 135 pounds. I find that odd too. 

As for EU rules they apply to all non EU countries. Japan, China USA etc. I can order from retailers in those countries without difficulty. Plus I've ordered from several British sellers big and small again without difficulty. 

Meanwhile the Chipmunk is now available to order on Amazon. 'Sold by Jadlam toys and models.' 

??