Flybe Purple

buzz

Can anyone recommend a colour match for the purple livery?  Or a company that produces accurate spray paint matches?

I ordered some Pantone 266 from spraytechnologiesaerosols.co.uk  and it's rubbish.  The first one they sent me was a light shade of lilac and the replacement is very much redder than it should be.  I specified a full gloss finish (they call it a 90% gloss level) and it has barely a sheen to it.  I ordered some BSC 381C paints from them too and they are equally wrong in colour and gloss level.

Thanks,

Roy

I'm sorry I can't remember who mixed the Pantone 266 that I used on this model. It was a long time ago and there is no name on the can but I think it might have been carpaintwarehouse.co.uk.

If it's any help I've also had good results from paints4u.com although I have only used them to mix RAL colours, not Pantone

I've been thinking about this too but I think I'm going to go down the mixing my own route (haven't found an automotive paint supplier here in Aus that's cheap enough to make it worthwhile). After a bit of googling I found myself at spotmodel.com which has a colour finder where you can enter a hex code - entering the hex code for Pantone 266 got me this result which said Tamiya X-16 is a 95% match. On the same site X-16 looks like this. Saturation is about the same, hue is a little too blue, and it's a little too light. So I'm going to try playing around with a few mixes with a little bit of red and a drop or two of black to darken it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll call onestopaerosols on Monday, their displayed numbers skip 266 but I expect they could do it. I'll try their RAL9016 too which has been recommended for the A350's wings.

• Thanks 1

Curious. I called onestopaerosols. They stopped doing Pantone 266 as they couldn't get the colour right. Seems they had the same problem as the other company, it was coming out too red.

I also called carpaintwarehouse. They don't list anything but do do them, no guarantee of a match though! 

I think I might play around with some FedEx purples. 

With these sorts of colours you need to have exactly the correct pigment(s). If the colour isn't too vibrant you can usually get away with using the wrong pigment and balancing it out with little bits of other colours, but everything you add to a highly saturated colour besides the original pigment will desaturate it and make it more greyish. You usually just find yourself swinging around your target getting duller each adjustment. Once you've added pigment you can't remove it again so troublesome colours are often just added to the "Too Hard" pile.

Most commercial paint mixing machines has a carousel of standard pigments they use - 16 is a common number - and all their products are designed to be made only using what's in that set of 16 pigments.

• Like 1