Jump to content

1/72 Special Hobby JA-37 Viggen


Recommended Posts

Intakes are a proper nightmare to fit. It is easier if you cut apart the inner intake structure part (I also put nose weight in that area instead of the nose).

And also airbrake fit on upper side is horrendous, had to put plasticard in there, even the resin replacement is small for size. And you can't really keep the airbrakes open to hide this problem because airbrakes on the Ja-37 were welded shut as pilots rarely if ever used them.

Edited by drake122
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, drake122 said:

Intakes are a proper nightmare to fit. It is easier if you cut apart the inner intake structure part (I also put nose weight in that area instead of the nose).

And also airbrake fit on upper side is horrendous, had to put plasticard in there, even the resin replacement is small for size. And you can't really keep the airbrakes open to hide this problem because airbrakes on the Ja-37 were welded shut as pilots rarely if ever used them.

I thought it was going too well, thanks for the heads up. I'll try and do what I can in those problem areas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forwarned by @drake122 about the problem fitting the intakes I decided to skip ahead and take the bull by the horns.

The problem, that will not fit where it is supposed to....

 

p?i=d510c98c7146564f4052e68709ab15c7

 

Problem solved with the aid of a sanding stick...

 

p?i=46f3f25d2f144b70ac643221d07dbffc

 

Superglued into position, a tiny bit of filler and a sand. It still needs a bit more tidying up but I think that problem is solved,  now the airbrakes.

 

p?i=cfe824e8dd3559e21e5af273f63d1c8b

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Christer A said:

Ooooh, the mighty JaktViggen!

I've yet to build one strangely enough, but who cannot like it?

Your're off to a good start Roger.

Thanks Christer. You've never built a Viggen? Nooooo.

 

This is how it's looking at the moment.

 

p?i=431e48df12cb00abeae1425eb40e06e3

 

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The upper air brake problem is present on almost every Viggen kit. Making them as separate parts is a stupid idea, since they were never extended on a parked aircraft. Thus, separate parts only causes problem, since fit seldom is good. The only kit where they are as they shoud be - just panel lines - is Matchbox. But on their kit, they have the wrong shape instead... 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@LOX @exdraken Thank you both very much. 🙂

 

Getting some paint down now. The underside has had a coat of Mr Color C11. Prior to this the whole model received a base coat of Mr Color C137, Tire Black. No particular reason for it being Tire Black it's just that it was the darkest colour I have the most of with me. 

 

p?i=bb8a6df0828fb8d0325cba9f8f504871

 

 

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice work so far, looks good! 

 

Just remember NOT to put any anti-collision light on the belly, it was only present on the AJ-family of Viggens. Don't remember what the instructions tell you to do.. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2021 at 10:15 AM, najkos said:

Nice work so far, looks good! 

 

Just remember NOT to put any anti-collision light on the belly, it was only present on the AJ-family of Viggens. Don't remember what the instructions tell you to do.. :)

Thanks very much. I'll check that anti collision light out, I can't remember if there's one or not. I usually leave that kind of thing to near the end.

Update time, upper surfaces painted, I've tried to get a bit of subtle variation on some of the panels which may or may not show up on the photos.

 

p?i=4a15cdd6a804e58d04a25a5d9ec76185

 

p?i=4a15cdd6a804e58d04a25a5d9ec76185

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

It's looking marvellous. I've not been brave enough to tackle my Special Hobby Viggens yet but will heed the advice shared in this thread when I do. Thanks 👍

Thank you. Apart from the intakes it's been pretty much plain sailing. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours when you get round to them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow Roger, fantastic progress on this one and I did like the way you solved the intake fit issue!

 

I need to follow this one closely as I have a double bosing of this from SH (came also with a superb book on the Viggen).

 

Terry

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Wow Roger, fantastic progress on this one and I did like the way you solved the intake fit issue!

 

I need to follow this one closely as I have a double bosing of this from SH (came also with a superb book on the Viggen).

 

Terry

Thank you Terry. I think the intake solution was more luck than judgment but it worked. 😆

This is where I am now. You can probably see some PVA on the bottom edge of the canopy. I did two dry test fittings prior to committing to superglue and they were both a perfect fit. You can guess the rest. 

 

 

p?i=5614001bb210666ad3036b496b12d088

 

p?i=2ed6bbd8f114c2fe2dee2c1263e73607

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...