Kovozávody Prostějov Škoda D.1 plastikovy model 1/72 - the has found a destination.

ColonelKrypton

Your prop looks very nice Graham and I'm extremely jealous of your circle cutter - it looks much better than the simple compass cutter that I struggle with!

Cheers

Cliff,

I have used and struggled with a compass cutter for many years, I think mine was an Olfa brand cutter. It was OK for some larger jobs but it was really not meant for tiny precision work.

A step up was using a 2mm diameter carbide cutter blade in a draughtsman bow compass. These carbide blades are commonly used in computer controlled vinyl cutters like the Cricut, not very expensive, very sharp, and stay sharp if not abused. This was truly a step up from the compass cutter. But like the compass cutter it left a tiny hole in the in the middle and needed to be used on a self healing cutting mat.

Interesting thing about those 2mm diameter cutter blades; they also fit very nicely in the mechanical drafting pencils which use 2mm pencil lead. Not for cutting parts off a sprue or similar "heavy" work but it does work a treat for delicate work scraping in tiny restricted spots, cutting decals from their carrier sheet, or cutting masks by hand.

p?i=95bca15c0f798da629f329e51b0b5a58

You will also notice a needle point in the picture.  I ground this from a piece of 2mm carbide rod - very sharp, good for light scribing and marking out.  I find these 2mm mechanical pencils quite handy and can be found quite inexpensively on Amazon. Of course also good for holding pencil lead for drawing and weathering using 2B or 4B pencil lead.

Dspiae have two models of their stepless circle cutter, one like have with the square fitting and a less expensive version for about half the price that they refer to as their entry level cutter without.

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/entry-level-of-stepless-adjustment-circular-cutter-dspiae-mt-ec/

cheers, Graham

Edited by ColonelKrypton
wording
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• ColonelKrypton changed the title to Kovozávody Prostějov Škoda D.1 plastikovy model 1/72 - the has found a destination.

My journey of building the Ko Pro Skoda D.1 has found it's destination and I am calling this one complete.  I may make a more permanent simple diorama like base for it or not.

p?i=dcf2e92f1655ad330ab901efbd34b7df

More photos in the gallery.

This build has been fun. I found this kit, forlorn and sad looking in a corner of the bargain bin at my local hobby store; kind of like the homely puppy no one wanted to bring home.

For all of $5 CDN it was a good build, not difficult but with a few challenges. Every kit deserves it's day.

I am off to search some more through the that bargain bin, perhaps I will find some other journeys to follow.

cheers, Graham

• Like 7