DC-8-51 in the livery of Kar-Air, 1/144

This is my DC-8-51 of the Finnish airline Kar-Air. The company bought the plane from Eastern Airlines and it was taken into use in November, 1971. The plane was used in chartered flights to southern holiday resorts and the flights at that time were quite moist to say the least. So the pilots gave the plane the nickname "Drunken Mike" after its call sign OH-KDM. The plane was also called "Viirupyrstö" or "stripe tail" because of its elegant livery.

I modified the plane from the 1/144 scale Minicraft DC-8-71 kit. The fuselage of the DC-8-51 series was 11 metres shorter than the -71 so the kit's fuselage had to be shortened correspondingly about 7,8 cm. Luckily enough Minicraft had marked the cutting lines inside the fuselage for the different sub types of the DC-8.  Before joining the fuselage halves together I had to add quite lot of weight to the nose in order to avoid the plane being a tail sitter.

Another major modification was to install the right types of engines i.e. Pratt&Whitney JT3D-3 to the wings. In the aftermarket I found three alternatives, the Contrail, the Braz-models and the Authentic Airlines' resin  powerplants. I chose the AA engines which were of high quality. To be installed they required slots to be cut in the wings of the kit. As to the front landing gear of the kit I had to cut it to the right length of the DC-8-51.  I also added lots of scratch built details to the model. The decals for the DC-8-51 of Kar-Air are from 26Decals. I ordered cabin and cockpit window decals from Authentic Airliners. 

To paint the white areas of the fuselage I used Revell's 04 white enamel. The underside of the fuselage was painted with Xtracolor X139 and the coroguard with Xtracolor x150 (Canadian Voodoo Grey). For the the metal areas I used AK Xtreme's metal-aluminium.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nice work on this!  Who doesn't love the DC-8, especially when rendered so well.  Alex

Thanks Alex,

Einar 

That is absolutely superb Einar - an excellent build in an unusual livery.  

Thanks for sharing and thanks also for the information about the conversion which I will bookmark for future reference.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Nice!

The expression that the flights were moist is funny.Luckily the pilots were not affected.

Saluti

Giampiero

You are quite right :)

Grazie mille

Einar

8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

That is absolutely superb Einar - an excellent build in an unusual livery.  

Thanks for sharing and thanks also for the information about the conversion which I will bookmark for future reference.

Dave G

Thank you Dave!

Einar 

I love the DC-8 and this is a truly splendid example of the breed -a lovely job and it’s nice to see one of the lesser-known liveries being replicated. Beautiful!

Tom

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

I love the DC-8 and this is a truly splendid example of the breed -a lovely job and it’s nice to see one of the lesser-known liveries being replicated. Beautiful!

Tom

Thank you Tom

Einar

21 hours ago, Einar said:

This is my DC-8-51 of the Finnish airline Kar-Air. The company bought the plane from Eastern Airlines and it was taken into use in November, 1971. The plane was used in chartered flights to southern holiday resorts and the flights at that time were quite moist to say the least. So the pilots gave the plane the nickname "Drunken Mike" after its call sign OH-KDM. The plane was also called "Viirupyrstö" or "stripe tail" because of its elegant livery.

I modified the plane from the 1/144 scale Minicraft DC-8-71 kit. The fuselage of the DC-8-51 series was 11 metres shorter than the -71 so the kit's fuselage had to be shortened correspondingly about 7,8 cm. Luckily enough Minicraft had marked the cutting lines inside the fuselage for the different sub types of the DC-8.  Before joining the fuselage halves together I had to add quite lot of weight to the nose in order to avoid the plane being a tail sitter.

Another major modification was to install the right types of engines i.e. Pratt&Whitney JT3D-3 to the wings. In the aftermarket I found three alternatives, the Contrail, the Braz-models and the Authentic Airlines' resin  powerplants. I chose the AA engines which were of high quality. To be installed they required slots to be cut in the wings of the kit. As to the front landing gear of the kit I had to cut it to the right length of the DC-8-51.  I also added lots of scratch built details to the model. The decals for the DC-8-51 of Kar-Air are from 26Decals. I ordered cabin and cockpit window decals from Authentic Airliners. 

To paint the white areas of the fuselage I used Revell's 04 white enamel. The underside of the fuselage was painted with Xtracolor X139 and the coroguard with Xtracolor x150 (Canadian Voodoo Grey). For the the metal areas I used AK Xtreme's metal-aluminium.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well done. I've seen this plane several times in Helsinki airport but never been on board. Really beutiful model.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Juhannussima said:

Well done. I've seen this plane several times in Helsinki airport but never been on board. Really beutiful model.

Thank you / kiitos!

Einar

You can't go wrong with a DC-8.

Still one of the most elegant airliners produced and you have done her proud.

I flew 2 times on a DC-8.

African Safari Airways DC-8-55 in 1981,cant remember much,was only 3 years old back then,but I remember sitting on the pilots legs and "stearing" the plane😁😎. .

The last flight was in 1992,same airline but a DC-8-63.

Also included a visit to the cockpit ( no sitting 😉) and it was a superb flight experience.

Wonderful memories.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Edited by Alex1978
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alex1978 said:

You can't go wrong with a DC-8.

Still one of the most elegant airliners produced and you have done her proud.

I flew 2 times on a DC-8.

African Safari Airways DC-8-55 in 1981,cant remember much,was only 3 years old back then,but I remember sitting on the pilots legs and "stearing" the plane😁😎. .

The last flight was in 1992,same airline but a DC-8-63.

Also included a visit to the cockpit ( no sitting 😉) and it was a superb flight experience.

Wonderful memories.

Thanks for sharing

Alex

Thank you very much for the compliments and the nice memories!

Cheers,

Einar