Plans for Higgins A1 lifeboat

ajmm

Hello

I wonder if anyone can point me in the direction of any plans for either of Higgins’ air-dropped A1 lifeboats?

There was a 27ft version and an 18ft version. I want primarily to scratchbuild the latter to go under a PBY wing but also interested in any info on the 27 footer if anyone has it. 

Thanks very much. 

• 1 month later...

Hello, 

Just thought I would contact you to see how you got on with your request for information ? I only recently came across your post, so apologies for the late response. Please let me know how you got on. I don't have a lot of information of the American Lifeboats, but what I do have are images of both the boats you mentioned. Hopefully they may be of some use 

Regards, Nev Dinghy Cole. 

Hi Nev

Thanks so much for replying. I’m not much further actually, though I did find a couple of great photos of the 18ft version below which will be helpful. I would love to see any photos you have too if you’re happy to share them. Thanks again

Angus

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Spoiler
Spoiler

Hello Angus,

You have just added two of the images I would have up-loaded. I do have a couple more that may be of interest (I will need to scan them). Not sure if you would have seen this I downloaded this/these a few years ago off another model site. Interestingly it does make an impressive model.  My cloud file isn't working at the moment. I will have a play around tomorrow & see if I can update.

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Angus, I've got my computer back to some sort of normality. I should have typed this before up-loading the above images. These are the ones I mentioned previously. Not sure how he came across the colour of the boat ? Although on saying that I do have clips of an A1 painted in the same dark orange colour. I'm going to try and attach the other things I've found over my research on the RAF/RN Airborne lifeboat's. Hopefully it will be of some use. It would appear from the text of one of the articles that the plane was capable of carrying two boats at the same time. I also noticed that the model boat appears to have the rear stabilising fins set at an angle where on the photo images they appear to be horizontal to the boat. Also note in the 1st image of this page the skeg & propeller visible poking through the hull on the port side. Anyway Good luck with deciding what to do. 

I don't suppose you know that the MAEE at Felixstowe mounted a modified MK1a (Warwick) 23ft lifeboat on an RAF Catalina (just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons for you.) Kind regards, Nev Dinghy Cole.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Thanks 1

Nev - wow this is fantastic, I can’t thank you enough but - all the same - thank you so much for taking the time to reply and upload all this information. This looks like more than enough for my purposes. All sorted! This forum really is the internet at its best at times like this!

Im so sorry for the delay replying - I only got a notification of your most recent post so I missed the first one entirely. I’ll work this place out eventually. 

Thanks again - I will post a photo on here of the Cat when she’s done!

Hello Angus,

Your more than welcome, Airborne lifeboats have been a passion of mine for quite a few years, so I've amassed quite a bit of information. I would be interested in the progress of the build. So if you feel able please up-load as the model progresses . 

Turning now to the A1, If I can be of help please contact me when ready & we'll see what we can find out. .