Applying Static Grass

fishplanebeer

Does any one have any tips on how to apply static grass to a base so that it stands up and doesn't just lie flat please?

It is for a one-off 72nd scale diorama of a crashed Bf109E during the BoB so I can't afford to invest £80+ in any of the 'static electricity' machines that I've seen advertised and the cheaper and cheerful versions on Amazon are all from China with alleged poor build quality, un-boxed and with very poor operating reviews.

I'm sure I read somewhere (I think) that you can use one of those squash racket shaped electric fly zappers in some way (which I do have) but no idea how or if I have just imagined this?

Regards

Colin.

Ps. I have bought a 'static grass puffer' in the hope that this might work but have yet to receive it or the grass so haven't had a chance to test as yet

Just a thought, would running a wire/connection from the frame of the fly zapper and then attaching it to the baseboard whilst holding the frame over the area to be grassed work or is this just dodgy physics? It's the only way I can think of possibly using it  as I can't remember where I read about it being used in some way or fashion.

Regards

Colin.

3 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

I'm sure I read somewhere (I think) that you can use one of those squash racket shaped electric fly zappers in some way (which I do have) but no idea how or if I have just imagined this?

You need to convert the fly-swatter by replacing the plastic bat with a metal tea sieve. You can buy converted swats for under a £10. 

The conversion is cheap to do but you need the knowledge and that's what you're paying for

If you plan to do more dioramas with grass its good to invest in one

Aha, I knew I'd read something about using the electronic fly swat but couldn't remember exactly what.

I don't plan to build any more dioramas so splashing out on a bespoke piece of kit at £80+ isn't really an option but a converted fly swat sounds ideal if it's around the £20 mark so just need to find someone who is selling one. Not exactly sure where to look mind so any suggestions please?

Regards

Colin.

Tips, on using.

1. There is lead with a clip which goes to your diorama. Use a copper or brass nail for the diorama contact

2. Use PVA glue, it conducts the static electricity better.

3. Only do a small patch at a time, Nearest the nail is always better, getting worser as you go away from it, so staying close to the nail in small areas gets good results.

4. I use a wood lolly stick to tap the sieve and stir the grass in it. It helps the grass drop though

5. Be very careful not to let the sieve touch or get within about 5mm of the nail - you'll get a huge discharge which will make you jump!

6. After use, switch off, remove batteries, then either, lay the applicator to one side for a few hours, or as I do. I do a deliberate touch of the sieve to clip to discharge the condenser

7. DO NOT TOUCH  the sieve and clip at the same time whilst its switched on, especially if you have a pacemaker fitted, You'll get an enormous electric shock

• Thanks 1

Sorry to be a bit thick but I put the brass/copper nail into the clip and then touch the base with the nail, is that correct?

I've noticed there are two types for sale, one has a normal rounded sieve and the other has a plastic cup/holder with a flat sieve at the bottom, so which would work better? I'm assuming the one with the flat sieve piece as the grass will be the same distance from the base or does this really matter if I'm only working in a small area at a time?

Sorry to labour the point.

Regards

Colin.

Regards

Colin.

31 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

Sorry to be a bit thick but I put the brass/copper nail into the clip and then touch the base with the nail, is that correct?

No, not exactly;  tap the nail into the diorama surface by 5 to 10mm then attach the wire from the applicator. You'll never see the 2mm hole the nail makes. A brass screw will do the job too

33 minutes ago, fishplanebeer said:

I've noticed there are two types for sale, one has a normal rounded sieve and the other has a plastic cup/holder with a flat sieve at the bottom, so which would work better? I'm assuming the one with the flat sieve piece as the grass will be the same distance from the base or does this really matter if I'm only working in a small area at a time?

I've never used the plastic sieve type but I've heard that they are very inefficient.

You are trying to put a static electric charge on the nylon fibre grass. This is easily done with a metal sieve but plastic is a very poor conductor of electricity.

I've not done this, just thought of it - bash the bottom of the round metal sieve flatter

Another tip - ok,  2

8. work as close as you can to the diorama surface. with short grass I work about 5 to 15mm above. With long grass I work the same distance but pull the sieve up as the grass drops though, it helps to make it stand up.

9. Use water-proof PVA glue. When the first application is dry you can apply more glue and more grass. If the main PVA is water soluble all you'll do is make a mess

• Thanks 1

And don't touch the nail with your static surface while the system is turned on - BANG and ouch.  I know😪

For a more realistic finish buy a couple of different colours of static grass and add to the hopper in different percentages with each refill.  Using a single colour looks very artificial.  In these photos there are three colours (two greens and a tiny bit of brown) and two different lengths.

51093678521_8ca0a19ab7.jpgfullsizeoutput_1c01 by tankienz, on Flickr51096472325_cc31028a9c.jpgfullsizeoutput_1c07 by tankienz, on Flickr

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I wouldn’t use PVA as it shrinks when dry. Use a dedicated grass glue like “Noch” and to get the best results you’ll need an applicator. More money better the results 

• 6 months later...
On 12/08/2021 at 22:49, fishplanebeer said:

Just a thought, would running a wire/connection from the frame of the fly zapper and then attaching it to the baseboard whilst holding the frame over the area to be grassed work or is this just dodgy physics? It's the only way I can think of possibly using it  as I can't remember where I read about it being used in some way or fashion.

Regards

Colin.

Hey Colin

Cost is less than 10€.

MD

spacer.png

• Like 1