1/72 - Grumman F4F-3/-4 Wildcat by Arma Hobby - F4F-4/FM-1 & -2 released - F4F-3 in Q3/4 2022

Homebee

22 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The cowling without the lip carb air intake nor the intercooler intakes is for Martlet Mk.II/F4F-3A/F4F-4A aircraft that only had single-stage, though two-speed, superchargers. Most Martlet IIs had a unique pitot tube arrangement, with the pitot mounted on the top surface of the port wing. Looking at the sprue shots, it appears Arma missed this detail. That’s a shame, but it should be easy enough to scratch build one if it’s absence bothers you.

faawildcatsba_2.jpg

Note also that Arma provides the correct engine gear case for the F4F-4 with the magnetos mounted on it, and a separate part for the Martlet II, which had the mags relocated to the back of the engine.

I think it was only AM964 to AM 999 with the top wing pitot..

I made a MkII from the Tamiya 1/48 F4F-4, really easy conversion..

18 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I think it was only AM964 to AM 999 with the top wing pitot..

I made a MkII from the Tamiya 1/48 F4F-4, really easy conversion..

I thought that too, and then I found this picture of AM880, which is not a known Martlet serial number. It also has a long fairing at the bottom of the fuselage, which appears on a number of different aircraft but I am not sure what it’s purpose is.

13-5.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

I thought that too, and then I found this picture of AM880, which is not a known Martlet serial number. It also has a long fairing at the bottom of the fuselage, which appears on a number of different aircraft but I am not sure what it’s purpose is.

13-5.jpg

Never seen that before.  That’s the great thing with history - it’s always changing...

This welcome announcement from Arma brings me back to a conundrum of mine:

What is the accurate length for an F4F-4?

Just now, warhawk said:

New F4F-4 announcement by Arma hobby brought me back to the length conundrum.

I managed to find two photos with nearly the same perspective, and judging by the position of the propeller hub  - there indeed was a small difference in overall length Between F4F and FM-2/Martlets:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Good afternoon 

I received an email saying that Arma hobby are taking preoders of the F4F and that is a great news for me because in an earlier mail they said that :

"Hopefully, Mustang will be released shortly after Wildcat." 

Best regards 

Patrice 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

"Hopefully, Mustang will be released shortly after Wildcat."

Hopefully it will be possible to pre-order both Wildcat and Mustang at the same time - that will make hitting the £135 minimum order size limit for those of us living in Britain easier.

Jonathan.

• Like 1

Source: https://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2021/08/19/the-new-wildcat-from-arma-hobby-fuselage-interior/

Today Marcin Ciepierski examines kit fuselage interior features during test shots assembly of the new F4F-4 Wildcat from Arma Hobby. See step-by-step photos and read comments about kit design and assembly on armahobbynews:

239563737-4515714111792244-7601909138909

V.P.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Grumman F4F Wildcat by Arma Hobby - released -
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Grumman F4F-3/-4 Wildcat by Arma Hobby - F4F-4 released - new F-4F-4 boxing in January 2022 - F4F-3 in Q3/4 2022
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Grumman F4F-3/-4 Wildcat by Arma Hobby - F4F-4 released - new F4F-4 boxing in January 2022 - F4F-3 in Q3/4 2022
  • 1 month later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Grumman F4F-3/-4 Wildcat by Arma Hobby - F4F-4/FM-1 & -2 released - F4F-3 in Q3/4 2022
  • 6 months later...

Arma Hobby has been totally silent about their F4F-3 for months. I was a bit worried that they have cancelled the project altogether, so I asked them about the matter on Facebook. Fortunately it is still going to be released, but later. So probably in 2023 I would assume.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1