1/72 - Grumman F4F-3/-4 Wildcat by Arma Hobby - F4F-4/FM-1 & -2 released - F4F-3 in Q3/4 2022

Homebee

Source: https://www.facebook.com/ArmaHobby/posts/4494536197243369

Something is going on in the tooling workshop. Stay tuned for an announcement tomorrow around noon.

Update http://armahobbynews.pl/en/blog/2021/08/13/f4f-4-wildcat-1-72-test-shots/

Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat kit 1/72 scale is so close to being released! Check photos of kit first test shots (minor adjustments needed) and preorder yours with deal packages in Arma Hobby webstore: https://www.armahobby.com/blog/preorders-of-f4f-4-wildcat-kit.html

70047-web-1-300x204.jpg

236808361-4494534537243535-3708004547552

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Ho-hum - probably just a 1/72 Yak-9T. To quote the late, great Avicii, "Wake me up when it's all over"... (so I can fire off an order for a dozen of them!)

John

No, John, it's probably just an announcement that they'll be doing all three main variants of the Il-2, both wooden and metal-winged, in 1/72nd scale. Like you say, ho-hum...

Regards,

Jason

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Seboo said:

I thought it means that they'll just announce when the pre-orders for F4F-4 will start. 

Yeah, that seems more realistic than my usual fantasy, although he did say "Something is going on in the tooling workshop" - would new tooling be required for an F4F-4 version of the existing F4F kit? Pardon my lack of detailed Wildcat-fu - the wings, perhaps?

I guess we'll know soon enough - Poland is, what? - 6 hours ahead of Eastern Standard time? So tomorrow's dawning will be brightened further by the announcement from Arma. Where are my Wayfarers...

John

• Like 2

Mmmm, yes - a Yak-11 contrapted to look like Ivan Kozhedub's La-7 "White 27". Nice, in the sense of commemorating a great pilot, but not a likely kit subject, although it might be a good conversion project for anyone with a "warbirds" fetish. Yak-11 kits are easily obtained in 1/72; find some Kozhedub decals, and you're there. Then you can show it to people, who will look at it and say, "Hey, neat La-7... I think... Isn't it???"

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Yeah, that seems more realistic than my usual fantasy, although he did say "Something is going on in the tooling workshop" - would new tooling be required for an F4F-4 version of the existing F4F kit? Pardon my lack of detailed Wildcat-fu - the wings, perhaps?

[...]

John

Yes. New wings, new fuselage, new engine, new engine cowling, oil coolers...And probably some more.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Grumman F4F Wildcat by Arma Hobby - box art+sprues+decals - release in 2021
20 hours ago, John Thompson said:

Ho-hum - probably just a 1/72 Yak-9T. To quote the late, great Avicii, "Wake me up when it's all over"... (so I can fire off an order for a dozen of them!)

John

For years I have the same feverish dream of a new-tool 1/72 Yak-9 series ....

And when it finally happens, it will be released by three different manufacturers, simultaneously.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, John Thompson said:

I guess we'll know soon enough - Poland is, what? - 6 hours ahead of Eastern Standard time? So tomorrow's dawning will be brightened further by the announcement from Arma. Where are my Wayfarers...

John

Another 109 ?

1 hour ago, Roman Schilhart said:

For years I have the same feverish dream of a new-tool 1/72 Yak-9 series ....

And when it finally happens, it will be released by three different manufacturers, simultaneously.

Nothing wrong with that! I pick Arma, Brengun, and Clear Prop, although ICM owes us a brand-new Yak-9 kit to make up for the horrible thing they stuck us with back in the 1990s. Likewise Airfix, although their Yak-9 was released so long ago, it's likely no one in the West knew (or cared) what a Yak-9 looked like anyway. ICM has no such excuse - they could probably have found a preserved one to study within a few hundred kilometres if they'd tried. :lol:

John

• Like 1

21 hours ago, occa said:

Another 109 ?

Well, we do need a Regensburg Friday afternoon-built, mid-possibly late, G-6 with slightly taller tail and extra wide cowling bulges. 

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

I don't suppose a Martlet II boxing is in the works? Would need a new cowling but not much else.

The initial issue does appear to have a Martlet II option:

https://www.armahobby.com/uploads/blog/main/611630a2d50eb-70047-web2-b.jpg

611630a2d50eb-70047-web2-b.jpg

Which the artwork suggests has a different cowl shape to the F4F-4 options.

Jonathan.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stilwell said:

Which the artwork suggests has a different cowl shape to the F4F-4 options.

big_70047-c.jpg?lm=1623065644

Looks like different cowl flap options, different front cowl rings, different gearbox cover / distributors and different exhaust configurations.

Jonathan.

• Like 4

The cowling without the lip carb air intake nor the intercooler intakes is for Martlet Mk.II/F4F-3A/F4F-4A aircraft that only had single-stage, though two-speed, superchargers. Most Martlet IIs had a unique pitot tube arrangement, with the pitot mounted on the top surface of the port wing. Looking at the sprue shots, it appears Arma missed this detail. That’s a shame, but it should be easy enough to scratch build one if it’s absence bothers you.

faawildcatsba_2.jpg

Note also that Arma provides the correct engine gear case for the F4F-4 with the magnetos mounted on it, and a separate part for the Martlet II, which had the mags relocated to the back of the engine.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Most Martlet IIs had a unique pitot tube arrangement, with the pitot mounted on the top surface of the port wing. Looking at the sprue shots, it appears Arma missed this detail.

They aren't the first manufacturer to include enough features to model their chosen subject aircraft, but not the wider fleet.

At least they chose a Martlet II for this boxing which featured the underwing pitot probe already included in the kit:

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/images/aircraft/A/AJ148.jpg

If Arma want to include the top surface pitot probe option on a later boxing, I suspect an etched brass probe would be reasonably easy to add to the kit.

Jonathan.