Oh No! More Vipers... 750750 F-16A FSD - AFTI + 3D Printing

3 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Done!.. You are now on the top of the 1:72 list!. (and @Air one of the 1:48 list)

Serkan

Awesome !!!

Can't wait to get it... and the decals too! Caracal sheet is long gone, and when ones pop out, it's just un-buyable !

Already ordered the spin chute brackets ...

Great!

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2022 at 9:06 AM, Arie Vos said:

Please note me down for 1 in 1/72nd scale as well.

On 9/21/2022 at 12:25 AM, DougC said:

Could I please have a couple of the anti-spin chute housings in 1/72nd?

Last weekend I had a bit time remaining from my other ongoing projects (to be honest I wanted to switch the project 🙂 )and I have finalized the antis-pin chute modelling and created the 3D print file:

3318.jpg

3294.jpg

3295.jpg

3299.jpg

3300.jpg

I have also modelled the anti-spin chute assembly in disassembled form ( I have mistakenly photographed the old drag chute base!.. ) :

3301.jpg

Here is the drag chute on Kinetic 1:48 Viper:

3306.jpg

Next is to print updated dorsal spine and nose FLIR pods.

Serkan 

• Like 9

The dorsal spine model of "Blue" AFTI has been improved and printed:

3302.jpg

The fit test of both spine and drag chute on Kinetic Viper:

3303.jpg

3304.jpg

3296.jpg

3305.jpg

3297.jpg

The rear part fits perfectly without doing and modification on fuselage. The forward part will also fit well when the raised details marked above will be removed.

Next step is to print and test "Falcon Knight' and "Falcon Eye" nose FLIR pods.

Serkan

• Like 6

On 8/17/2021 at 2:49 PM, Serkan Sen said:

2255.jpg

My daughter is not willing to give me back this monster either, because she likes to play with the G.I. Joe pilot figure... 😁

Maybe for her I should find a more attractive toy like a new Barbie to get my Viper back... 🤔

Serkan

I would suggest her very own Viper, but with a dark pink camo scheme and a Barbie on the tail.

Awesome plane by the way!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, so you have an interest in the F16 then Serkan… :D  Have just enjoyed reading the thread (sorry about all the ‘likes’).  Beyond impressive.

I got some hours on the F16D and C at MacDill in Florida back in 1990, last jet I flew; it was an amazing aircraft back in the day, but I confess to having forgotten most of what I knew of the technicalities, and am pretty much an ignoramus about the aircraft’s development since.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

Ok, so you have an interest in the F16 then Serkan… :D  Have just enjoyed reading the thread (sorry about all the ‘likes’).  Beyond impressive.

I got some hours on the F16D and C at MacDill in Florida back in 1990, last jet I flew; it was an amazing aircraft back in the day, but I confess to having forgotten most of what I knew of the technicalities, and am pretty much an ignoramus about the aircraft’s development since.

Thanks lot Steve. I am not complaining about the "likes". On the contrary it motives me 🙂

Yes I like this beautiful bird much. I worked very close to FAL as a design engineer for six years in early 90's. I visited the both brand-new aircrafts as well as the upgraded ones quite often.

I have some other Viper projects progressing in parallel:

And this build is very close to finish:

Serkan

On 10/24/2022 at 8:13 AM, Serkan Sen said:

Last weekend I had a bit time remaining from my other ongoing projects (to be honest I wanted to switch the project 🙂 )and I have finalized the antis-pin chute modelling and created the 3D print file:

3318.jpg

3294.jpg

3295.jpg

3299.jpg

3300.jpg

I have also modelled the anti-spin chute assembly in disassembled form ( I have mistakenly photographed the old drag chute base!.. ) :

3301.jpg

Here is the drag chute on Kinetic 1:48 Viper:

3306.jpg

Next is to print updated dorsal spine and nose FLIR pods.

Serkan 

Hi Serkan, great to see these progressing. You will have a unique & impressive collection of F-16s at the end of it!

I'm interested in a couple of your anti-spin chutes in 1/72.... not for an F-16 but for an X-29 & maybe a Typhoon. 

I believe they all used the same equipment so do you think they would fit, with a little cutting?

Thanks, Doug 

6 minutes ago, DougC said:

I'm interested in a couple of your anti-spin chutes in 1/72.... not for an F-16 but for an X-29 & maybe a Typhoon. 

I believe they all used the same equipment so do you think they would fit, with a little cutting?

Thanks, Doug 

Then maybe the disassembled set would be a solution in your case. But after having a look the X-29 and Typhoon' drag chutes on web and compared to Viper chute they are all significantly different than each other.

Serkan

I was hoping that the dorsal design shape was completed and I can start the build. But I realized that the fin root fairing model I took was not for FSD and significantly wider than the actual one:

3302.jpg

Also the area where UHF antenna is placed has more rounded shape:

3319.jpg

Note that the end of the fin root fairing was also added to model. The above dorsal spine is for "blue" version used as JSF testbed. The camo and gray schemes have sligthly different aft spine details:

3320.jpg

Here are more pictures of the evolution of the model:

3321.jpg

3322.jpg

And some more images of close views:

3323.jpg

3324.jpg

3325.jpg

3326.jpg

Next step is to make a test print.

Serkan 

• Like 5