Oh No! More Vipers... 750750 F-16A FSD - AFTI + 3D Printing

8 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Great stuff Serkan! I've been tempted to get a 3D printer, but then reality hits me when I realize how steep a learning curve it would be for me to learn 3D design.

Thanks Bill. 3D printing is not a big problem but to find a powerful and user friendly (preferably low cost or free) drawing tool is a bit.

By the way did you already decide what your next build will be? I didn't forget my word on Oxcart parts but I have to find a better way to produce reasonable clear parts. Also I am very close to finish NLG bay and assembly details. I will post some images very soon.

Serkan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

By the way did you already decide what your next build will be?

Good question! If (When) Mika at Arctic Decals comes through with the decals for my Wisconsin Central Airlines Bobcat, I'll finish off that project (on the shelf since the beginning of this year). Otherwise, I'll probably continue my Wisconsin-themed aircraft with one of these:

51389793075_4017c8ee4e_c.jpg 

Waco operated by the Four Wheel Drive Auto Corp in Clintonville, Wisconsin. FWD founded Wisconsin Central Airlines in the late 1940's. I have Khee-Kha's vacuform kit, which will need a bit of modification to represent the Waco shown above. Lars at Khee-Kha has been very generous in sending me info on what I'll need to do.

Another possibility is this Jenny:

51389040353_09a982f50d_o.jpg 

which belonged to Howard Morey, a Wisconsin aviation pioneer. Among other things, Howard Moray founded Morey Field (a.k.a. Middleton Municipal Airport), outside Madison, where I have been doing my private flying since moving to Wisconsin last year. The photo above isn't the best, but it's the only one I have of Morey's "Pennco Flyer". Fortunately, there is a large-scale model hanging from the ceiling at my airport that I can crib from:

51389534724_d845383790_z.jpg   51389048473_a8affa06a5_z.jpg 

• Like 4

Great work Serkan!

I'm glad that the refs I was able to provide helped out, and it is really neat to see the two models side by side. Cheers and I'm looking forward to seeing more progress.

Hoops

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 3:52 AM, Hoops said:

Great work Serkan!

I'm glad that the refs I was able to provide helped out, and it is really neat to see the two models side by side. Cheers and I'm looking forward to seeing more progress.

Hoops

Thanks Hoops,

Here are the printed parts in 1:48 scale which shows the evolution of the spine model:

2274.jpg

2275.jpg

2279.jpg

The final model has been designed to fit the Kinetic parts:

2280.jpg

2281.jpg

2282.jpg

More pictures will follow...

Serkan

• Like 4

Here are some more pictures of the spine and Kinetic Viper (simply snap-tite without any glue or adhesive tape)

2284.jpg

2285.jpg

2278.jpg

There is a gap at the most forward area close to canopy but this is mainly due to existing raised details on model surface:

2283.jpg

The overall shape looks correct to me:

2286.jpg

2211.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2

And here are the wing root pods, Pave Spike and canard (somehow I lost the second canard on my workbench and you can imagine how I messed the workbench):

2276.jpg

2277.jpg

The next step is to model "Falcon Eye" and "Falcon Knight" sensors.

Serkan

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pascal said:

Nice work. I could use one of those spines for my F-16D VISTA.

Do you plan on selling any ?

Thanks Pascal. When I complete the parts why not?..

The F-16A AFTI spine is completely different than the F-16D VISTA.

As you can see below AFTI spine is doesn't cover the entire  dorsal fin and it is designed for single seater aircraft.

2211.jpg

F-16-VISTA.jpg

You can find nicely detailed Kinetic F-16 D/F kits in 1:72 and 1:48 scales. If you are interested in only the spine and big mouth intake please follow my ongoing projects and very soon I will start to build VISTA in 1:72 and 1:48 scales with own casted mod parts.

nf-16d-vista-860048.jpg

nf-16d-vista-calspan-2014-860048.jpg

nf-16d-vista-calspan-2019-860048.jpg

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, darthspud said:

I just checked the Twobobs decal Vista Viper sheet, it specifies a Marble Peace dorsal spine.

Indeed - as per Israeli F-16D's. Also, the VISTA was fitted (at least at some point) with an anti-spin chute.

Cheers,

Andre 

Looking at my Kinetic kits, there are a couple of suitable pieces to build the spin chute framework and I'll scratch build the housing if I haven't got a spare parachute pack.

1 hour ago, darthspud said:

Looking at my Kinetic kits, there are a couple of suitable pieces to build the spin chute framework and I'll scratch build the housing if I haven't got a spare parachute pack.

If you have Kinetic K72002 F-16D block 52+ kit all parts are there including big mouth intake and chute.

• Like 1