Oh No! More Vipers... 750750 F-16A FSD - AFTI + 3D Printing

In this new topic I will share my past, present and future works about this unique FSD Viper. There are some topics started by other friends in this forum and I have updated my existing projects using these reference pictures and discussions.

First I would like to share here the 3 view drawings I did for three main configurations of the same aircraft with bu no 750750:

f-16a-afti-camo-scheme-750750.jpg

f-16a-afti-camo-scheme-750750.jpg

f-16a-afti-blue-scheme-750750.jpg

I will be glad to hear your comments and corrections about the markings and 3D models that I will share here soon...

Serkan

• Like 5

More than ten years ago I built my first AFTI which was used as the Fly By Wire test bench for JSF.

Using modelling clay I have made a mold in spine shape very roughly and then filled it with PU resin:

2184.jpg

2192.jpg

In parallel I did the decal artwork using the pictures available in internet (mostly taken at the National Museum of the United States Air Force)

2194.jpg

I spent few days to shape the spine and after then I did decal sizing using paper printout of the decal artwork:

2195.jpg

2196.jpg

More pictures will follow...

Serkan

• Like 5

I do remember this aircraft at the museum. Was there a few years back. The museum had backed in the displays around her and could not get very close. I used my long lens to take photos. One day hoping to build as she sets.

Watching this with interest.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, f111guru said:

One day hoping to build as she sets.

Thanks Ron. If you have any detailed pictures of the pods mounted to fuselage strake that would be great to see them closely. Although I have some ideas how it was done the images I found in web is not showing very clearly which strake panels were cut to mount the pods.

I did very significant progress in 3D CAD modelling of the spine, pods and fins. I will share here soon some images of 3D models as well as printed parts.

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 1

When I was building this aircraft I didn't have many samples of Revell F-16 kits in my stash (now I have only in 1:72 scale 70+ Revell, 10+ Hasegawa and dozens of other manufacturers F-16 kits 😁). Therefore I decided to recover one of the Viper kit from junkyard that was a part of huge ebay konvolut (more than 150 models) I bought.

2197.jpg

The first step was to remove old paint and decals, replace the radome and fit the spine and pods:

2198.jpg

The parts were primed:

2199.jpg

The airplane was painted to standard Viper color scheme and the spine was painted to blue. After a gloss coat the MD5500 printed decals were placed and finally the decals were sealed with a layer of gloss and satin coats.

2185.jpg

2186.jpg

Serkan

• Like 5

Here are some more pictures. Yes I know that the load out is not realistic but fifteen years ago I was not very perfectionists 😁

2187.jpg

2188.jpg

2190.jpg

2191.jpg

2189.jpg

As some of you have already noticed that the biggest issue in this build was the oversized pods. But I learnt much during this first attempt...

Serkan

• Like 6

I did get some that were close up as I was trying to avoid 2 school classes that were in the area. To start off:

IMG_3547

Right wing root pod:

IMG_3545

Left wing root pod:

IMG_3546

From the distant left:

IMG_3555

The trailing edge of the pod under wing and the bumps, blisters and vents in the fuselage mid section.

IMG_3554

And the front and mid forward fuselage blended in behind the canopy.

IMG_3556

These may or may not help. I try to take photos in the respect of the modeller in mind. But at my age that's getting to be a task in its self.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

A Viper i've not come across before.

Random, but would the Marble Peace  Dorsal spine be a similar profile for this ?

The over lumps bumps and protrusions shouldn't be a hard  job to complete. Never seen the decals either, may spend this afternoon looking for them now., bugger!!!😁😁

15 hours ago, darthspud said:

A Viper i've not come across before.

Random, but would the Marble Peace  Dorsal spine be a similar profile for this ?

The over lumps bumps and protrusions shouldn't be a hard  job to complete. Never seen the decals either, may spend this afternoon looking for them now., bugger!!!😁😁

The PEACE MARBLE spine, or really any other F-16 spine that matter, is much taller than the spine on -750. The spine on -750 is unique, and maybe about 2/3 - 3/4 the height of all the others.

14 hours ago, darthspud said:

Found a Caracal decal set that depicts one of these , but its in 1/72 , so no dice for me as i only build in 1/48. Buggeritt millenium hand & shrimp!

Kursad also released the sheet in 1/48, see here:

http://caracalmodels.com/cd48160.html

Currently seems to be sold out at a lot of the major retailers, but perhaps you can source it somewhere, or work for a partial decal sheet.

Cheers,

Hoops

• Like 1

What I see from the reference pictures is that the Blue (J/IST) has a scoop and three rectangular panels (flat antennas or cooling plates?) at both sides of the end spine/dorsal root area and a tapered UHF/IFF antenna. But I have not identified a difference in spine shape.

2211.jpg

Maybe glossy Blue paint causes the spine looking different 🤔

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 2

Early in this year I saw unique AFTI pictures posted by  @Old Viper Tester in this forum:

and also I found this excellent 1:48 AFTI build here: (www.master194.com built by Arrowhead)

pict1133.png

Seeing above WIP and completed model some years after my first build motivated me to build a new one. But this time I decided to go with 3D modelling and printing instead of scratch build. This will allow me to print the parts in any scale with perfect symmetry and accuracy. I gained significant experience during my A-12 Oxcart project:

I started the 3D modeling with side and top view drawings:

2204.jpg

2205.jpg

Here is the 3D Viper model compared to top and side view drawings:

2206.jpg

2207.jpg

As you may have noticed I already added a wing root pod which needs to be improved a bit.

Next is to add spine..

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 6

• Serkan Sen changed the title to Oh No! More Vipers... 750750 F-16A FSD - AFTI + 3D Printing

By extruding the top and side view spine edges the 3D spine was generated:

2208.jpg

2209.jpg

Also the panel lines and other details were added:

2210.jpg

2211.jpg

The overall spine shape looks fine but some improvements are still needed. The drag chute in the model was left from original 3D CAD model  and will be replaced with the correct one later.

Next step is to send the model to printer...

Serkan

Edited by Serkan Sen
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, darthspud said:

The wing sensor pods are easily doable with a sharp knife and a steady hand.

In my age with old eyes I think it is not doable for me. Besides when I look carefully the pictures that Ron kindly shared with us, even with sharp knife and eyes it is not so simple to do it unless your hand has a CNC precision 🙂

Serkan

• Like 3

Looking very good Serkan.

I checked and I have 6 elint probes that I could easily fix into the wing root area. A couple of the stash kits have detached front flaps, which will make surgery easier and hide any errors I make.

2 hours ago, darthspud said:

Looking very good Serkan.

I checked and I have 6 elint probes that I could easily fix into the wing root area. A couple of the stash kits have detached front flaps, which will make surgery easier and hide any errors I make.

Thanks and good luck building the pods 🙂

• Like 1