Modelling snow-covered steppes?

Michael Morris

On of the gazillion ideas I have involved making a mini diorama of a Soyuz capsule being recovered from the snow-covered steppes of Russia.  The model will be in 1/72 scale.  (see image in link below)

tass_sor_7498-jpg.140380

I have two queries. 

1 - Can anyone help on how best to model this type of vegetation at 1/72 scale?

2 - What is the best product and technique for modelling this type of snow cover at between clumps of grasses at this scale?

Thanks

I've just had a rummage through my tufts (oh, that sounds a bit wrong!) and found some which I like and they may suit your scale. To be honest, I suspect that there are more brand names than manufacturers of this stuff, but I recommend Green Stuff World (various sizes and colours from Wayland Games) and The Army Painter Battlefields XP Winter Tuft (pack of mixed sizes). Also consider Woodland Scenics Field Grass, which you can cut to your own size and bunch with glue as needed. Remember that the product's colour is only a starting point, so it doesn't matter too much.

I've not yet played with snow, and when I do, it will be 1/35th; so I bought AK 8011 Terrains Snow and 8010 Snow Microballoons to start with. For your scale, I suggest looking at Precision Ice and Snow kits. Also check YT channels such as Kathy Millatt, who has done a lot about small-scale snow.

Edited by Ade H
Added info

For the vegetation, I'd start by taking a look at model figure and wargaming scenery.

The smaller grass tufts aimed at 1/35 scale modellers might be suitable too - a 2-3 mm tuft would scale out at about 6" - 9".  Fields of Glory or Historex Agents, or model railway scenery suppliers should be able to help here.
Alternatively, Woodland Scenics fine-leaf foliage can produce tufty ground work.

For snow, I like Precision Ice and Snow, though other brands offer snow in this scale (Woodland Scenics among others).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan pf precisions ice and snow as well. There are a few companies, i think MiG is one, that makes tufts of grass that are already frosted. Not used them yet, but they look nice form waht i have seen.