1/48 Progress MS-16 and Pirs Docking Compartment

These are models??? Wow. How did you get the lighting to look so good? Also the photographer in me would like to know what your rig was...

Thanks very much, guys.

Nothing special. Hang the models on threads in front of a blue or black background, light it with a 500W Photoflood in a reflector. Trick is getting the angle of light to make the model look dramatic and make sure the lighting is from the same direction as the background photo. That is where some photographers go wrong - matching the lighting direction.

Hope that helps.

Keith

Edited by saturnapollo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That first shot in particular is the bee's knees. I can't see any model tells in it at all. Second one is almost as good but maybe the foreground lighting is a bit off? I guess it could be illuminated by the ISS :)

Will

Thanks very much. The lighting is coming from below the crescent of the Earth which extends far below the image. Because the spacecraft is high above the Earth, whilst the Earth below is receding into darkness, at nearly 300 miles up the spacecraft will still be in sunlight. That's why we can see the ISS overhead after dark because at that altitude it is still in sunlight.

Keith

Edited by saturnapollo