The Red Arrows to become the 'Green' Arrows

Black Knight

"Air Chief Marshal Sir Mike Wigston, head of the service, has said he wants the RAF to be "the first net-zero air force by 2040""

If they keep cutting back on airframes that wont be difficult

Having said that it is a laudable objective.  Mind you if they went all electric that would add a bit to stealth capability - just a sort of whoosing noise from the wind as they went by.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

16 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Mind you if they went all electric that would add a bit to stealth capability - just a sort of whoosing noise from the wind as they went by.  

Air to air refuelling - a 13 amp plug and a Voyager with a diesel generator........so long as it's off peak. :facepalm:

• Haha 13

If they switch to using hot-air balloons for their display, they will be very good for the environment. Not so sure how they would pull off a lot of their manoeuvres, though... needs some more thought on that one. 

Chris. 

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

If they switch to using hot-air balloons for their display,. . . 

and I can suggest a few places from which they can get lots of free hot air   :lol:

But I'd better not mention them.    :fight:

I like being on Britmodeller    :D

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

If they switch to using hot-air balloons for their display, they will be very good for the environment. Not so sure how they would pull off a lot of their manoeuvres, though... needs some more thought on that one. 

Chris. 

No can do Chris - its gas burning.  Maybe a big electric fan heater with a huge solar panel or a rather long cable to the ground reeled out as they go along getting tied up in knots.  The commentator - "And now ladies and gentlemen the Reds will execute their famous maneouvre - a round turn and two half hitches"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JohnT said:

No can do Chris - its gas burning.  Maybe a big electric fan heater with a huge solar panel or a rather long cable to the ground reeled out as they go along getting tied up in knots.  The commentator - "And now ladies and gentlemen the Reds will execute their famous maneouvre - a round turn and two half hitches"

Please keep up. The world’s first solar powered balloon flew in 2015.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, JohnT said:

"Air Chief Marshal Sir Mike Wigston, head of the service, has said he wants the RAF to be "the first net-zero air force by 2040""

If they keep cutting back on airframes that wont be difficult

Having said that it is a laudable objective.  Mind you if they went all electric that would add a bit to stealth capability - just a sort of whoosing noise from the wind as they went by.  

:D

I do hope that the RAF will also introduce environmentally and human friendly munitions then... so something without this kinetic and explosive effects would be great!

can you really think that a war-machine could, would and should act to those green principles?

it is all about effectiveness, not about greenness! ...

sorry but this concepts sounds a bit far fetched...

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

sorry but this concepts sounds a bit far fetched...

Really?  Surely by now it can't be beyond the wit of man to come up with something that looks like smoke but doesn't use diesel fuel.  Anyone who's ever objected to an airliner dumping fuel over their house will recognise the problem, only more so, because it's bus fuel they're dumping.  Six hundred tons of it in a year!  It'll make a nice change to come home from a show not smelling like the back end of a narrowboat.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pigsty said:

Really?  Surely by now it can't be beyond the wit of man to come up with something that looks like smoke but doesn't use diesel fuel.  Anyone who's ever objected to an airliner dumping fuel over their house will recognise the problem, only more so, because it's bus fuel they're dumping.  Six hundred tons of it in a year!  It'll make a nice change to come home from a show not smelling like the back end of a narrowboat.

Sorry if I expressed myself wrong, of course it will be good to dump something less harmful into the atmosphere... I was not referring too much on the Green smoke, but more on the "net zero" airforce concept... 

Oh  thanks for destroying our bunkers and fuel reserves with green bombs! Very much appreciated killing us silent and biodegradable bullets.... :D

War is simply not green and environmentally friendly. training for it or displaying/ recruiting for it should of course be as much as possible!

💚

Actually I'm surprised they still use diesel. As far as I'm aware most airshow smoke uses a paraffin based mixture specially mixed for the purpose of display smoke. A friend of mine is an aerobatic pilot and he explained it contained lanolin of all things. No idea if that's true though. 

Of course paraffin is a fossil fuel but it seems more eco friendly than dumping pure diesel into the air.