Duxford Flying Day "Showtime" & BBMF Lancaster engine runs August 2021

Hello again!

I went to Duxford today for the latest "Flying Day", which was advertised as having a 2-hour flying display even though only three participating aircraft were listed! The three aircraft were a T-6, Yak-50 and a CAP10.

As it turned out, the above-mentioned were the only three aircraft in the flying display, but the highlight for me was seeing the BBMF Lancaster PA474 carrying out some engine runs. It appears that #3 was misbehaving because it was quickly shut down and inspected. I love sunny days, but they do make photography at Duxford difficult!

DSC_3408.jpg

DSC_3422.jpg

DSC_3465.jpg

DSC_3128bw.jpg

DSC_3567.jpg

DSC_3143.jpg

DSC_3178.jpg

DSC_3193.jpg

DSC_3196.jpg

DSC_3214.jpg

DSC_3230.jpg

DSC_3270.jpg

DSC_3275.jpg

DSC_3301.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

what a nice way to wake up in the morning- pictures of a Lancaster at Duxford.  Thanks for posting. Also like the composition of the phots with one on the ground and one on finals.

Colin

Hi Colin. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your early morning call! The sound of those Merlins running up was magical! I'm pleased that I shot some video on my phone as well.

• Like 1

I was there too.  Missed the Lancaster's engine runs but was rewarded later watching hoards of good people swarming over no. 3 / starboard inner Merlin!

Very disappointing how short the 'flying' was.  I gave up I'm afraid and left halfway through.

Encouraging how many were there though!

Thanks as always to AD210 for once again sharing his excellent photos!

Jonny

PS I assume the green clad people werre RAF / BBMF and the grey ones ARC?  I spotted quite a few with black T-shirts emblazoned on the back with 'RR Merlin' or similar!

Edited by Jonny
Aded comment re. Green and Grey clad people working on no. 3 Merlin
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 10:58 PM, Jonny said:

I was there too.  Missed the Lancaster's engine runs but was rewarded later watching hoards of good people swarming over no. 3 / starboard inner Merlin!

Very disappointing how short the 'flying' was.  I gave up I'm afraid and left halfway through.

Encouraging how many were there though!

Thanks as always to AD210 for once again sharing his excellent photos!

Jonny

PS I assume the green clad people werre RAF / BBMF and the grey ones ARC?  I spotted quite a few with black T-shirts emblazoned on the back with 'RR Merlin' or similar!

Hi Jonny, Im pleased that you enjoyed my images.

I don't know how many ticket-holders were present, but it was certainly fewer than the previous week when Member's cars were parked on the airfield adjacent to the play area and Airspace.

I was also very disappointed with the duration of the flying element of the day, skilled as the pilots were.

In relation to the question of the engineers working on the Lancaster, I'm afraid that it looks a little complicated! Green-clad appear to be all RAF personnel, but the blue-grey chaps are a mix! It looks from my pictures that those with some kind of reflective PPE are RAF personnel and those with the black T-shirts are ARCo staff.

DSC_3137.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Lancaster looks every bit as an  iconic symbol  as your black and white photographs. 

SUPERB collection of photos.

and the group of men reminds ME of a quorum about this and that !! But not getting anywhere.

Human touch to your photography. 

LOVELY.

:wow:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

The Lancaster looks every bit as an  iconic symbol  as your black and white photographs. 

SUPERB collection of photos.

and the group of men reminds ME of a quorum about this and that !! But not getting anywhere.

Human touch to your photography. 

LOVELY.

:wow:

Thanks very much, Houston. I always try to show the humans behind the machines.