Chelveston 1944

The Boeing 299, the Flying Fortress prototype, first flew on 28 July 1935. It was America’s main strategic weapon of WWII. 12,731 B-17’s were built, of which the B-17G reached 8680. 42-38206 “Thundermug”, was issued to the 364th Bomb Squadron, 305th Bombardment Group, RAF Chelveston, on 1 March 1944. It flew many missions until 12 December 1944, when it was battle damaged over Mersberg. It force landed in Allied occupied territory and was scrapped.
51370891732_5bc4a27da6_c.jpg

51372655805_0274808632_c.jpg

51370891717_19325366ea_c.jpg

51372380884_739034874a_c.jpg

51372655710_198f8b850a_c.jpg

Issued on 17 May 1944. ‘Flak Eater’ also of the 364th Bombardment Squadron, saw much action as WF-J but sustained battle damage on 12 September 1944 and following repair was recoded WF-U. On 4 December 44-6009 failed to return to Chelveston following another raid on Germany, following an emergency landing on a newly created continental airstrip. Repaired once again, the aircraft survived the war, carrying out in excess of 28 missions. It was transferred to the 351st BG on 23 May 1945, before returning to the USA in June. She was scrapped at Kingman the following December.
51371651246_6224603264_c.jpg

51372655660_b007da7abb_c.jpg

51370891777_5933fc3638_c.jpg

51371881353_8594ec1949_c.jpg

51371651281_b2d6cf7970_c.jpg

51370891877_8d52553670_c.jpg

51372655635_95aa906044_c.jpg

51372380749_1db39c200b_c.jpg

51372380769_e9106438e5_c.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

I like the clever use of clear bases and the old Airfix USAAF figure set, which is an excellent choice.  The camera angles also bring this to life and belie the small scale.  Who doesn't like a B-17?  Well executed!

Alex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello, Ratch.

when I see your work, I tell myself that you like the B17, like me!

your achievement is very pleasant to watch, there is life on your diorama.

I am newer than you on the forum, and I do not know your philosophy of model making. But your achievement is sure to attract.

I appreciate the complementarity with two flying fortresses that bear the motifs of the same unit, and the work you provide to take quality photos. Well done!

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

(B17 lover!  :rolleyes: :   https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235096307-a-172-b17f-revell-which-is-on-german-news/  )

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much for your interest Eric.

My modelling philosophy is quite simple, enjoy your modelling and don't be afraid to try new things. As such I'll build most things. I'm no expert on any given subject, and I'm no award winning modeller - I'm not even competitive in that respect. I can appreciate the achievements of others and will try new techniques. Sometimes I can get them to work, but if they're not for me so be it.

I have several on-going projects, one being aircraft and airfields of Northamptonshire. Another is the battle of Waterloo in 1/72 - 1/76. But I'll build cars, ships, trains, dioramas, anything really.

Great work Sir! A very nice pair of Forts there, set off by some great support equipment and ground crew. Love it!

Also refreshing to see some Forts that have something other than the "Triangle A" on the tail. Do you have a specific interest in the 305th?

Steve

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Do you have a specific interest in the 305th?

Only in that I'm interested in all those who flew from Northamptonshire. We had 16 airfields in WW2, Chelveston, Deenethorpe, Grafton Underwood and Polebrook were USAAF bomber bases, then there were joint USAAF/RAF fighter bases at Wittering and Kingscliffe, and Special Ops at Harrington. Many of the others were RAF Training Schools or Operational Conversion Units.

@Ratch

Same here. My interest lies in the Northamptonshire bases, and also specifically one B-17 that flew from Deenethorpe. 30 years research there that I hope will make a book in the next few years, or at least a few magazine articles. Come to think of it, I remember seeing a build of "my Fort" over on the Airfix Tribute Forum. "Ice Cold Katy". Was that one of your builds?

Steve

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

@Ratch

Same here. My interest lies in the Northamptonshire bases, and also specifically one B-17 that flew from Deenethorpe. 30 years research there that I hope will make a book in the next few years, or at least a few magazine articles. Come to think of it, I remember seeing a build of "my Fort" over on the Airfix Tribute Forum. "Ice Cold Katy". Was that one of your builds?

Steve

Cheers Steve, no not mine, I have those decals to use too. I'm very interested in your research - I'm accumulating such stuff.

I’m new to the forum but not modelling and I’m also interested in Northamptonshire bases specifically husbands Bosworth ( which is Leicestershire Northamptonshire border)as I’m just down the road, I’ve bought the trumpeter 48th Wellington to convert to a mk2 to do a tribute to one that crashed locally in sibbertoft.

lovely atmospheric build of the B17’s 👍

Edited by veg
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ratch said:

Cheers Steve, no not mine, I have those decals to use too. I'm very interested in your research - I'm accumulating such stuff.

Here's a nice photo that I found as part of my research. Taken on June 3rd 1945, the photo shows "Ice Cold Katy" with the crew of 1st Lt. Richard Guy and the ten passengers slated for the return flight to the US at war's end. Richard Guy, who is front row centre, sent me a series of photos taken on the day when we corresponded back in the early 90s. Kneeling on the right is Major Donald McCree, CO of the 612th Bomb Squadron, who flew as co-pilot on the return trip. 

51376544799_e3aeb4505d_k.jpg

Once back in the US, "Katy" ended her days awaiting the breakers at Kingman, Arizona. Somehow, I managed to find her hiding in an aerial photo taken at the time. Never thought I would find a photo of her at Kingman, but 25 years after starting my research, I found an image. I never expected to find one, ever!

38357775594_350f78f5c5_z.jpg

The Kits World decals have a few errors as far as "Ice Cold Katy is concerned. Once you get around to building her, give me a shout and I'll help out with the markings.

Cheers;

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@fightersweep That's great Steve. Here's something I copied - Yours?

Ice Cold Katy was a Douglas Long Beach-built B-17G-35-DL serial 42-107039, and she would have been fitted with the standard tail turret and staggered waist guns.

She was a Douglas built B-17G-35-DL and she did have the staggered waist gun positions. There are a few other quirks she had during her career to, such as a replacement O/D stinger tail gun position and wing tip. If you're using the Kits World decals like me, there are a few problems with the sheet, such as the 401st Triangle "S" being black and white. The "S" was natural metal, not white.

here she is over Peenemunde. This image is a bit grainy I'm afraid, but the original print I have shows the waist gun arrangement quite clearly. The photo was taken on the 25th August 1944 and she was being flown that day by 1st Lt. Louis Ludeman and crew.

I also have a photo that shows an olive drab stinger position fitted, as this was also replaced at one point, and also, for a period of time, she had a B-17F style nose blister fitted. The missing 4 on the decal sheet is correct as per the aircraft. She changed a bit during her career and racked up 130 missions.

I copied the picture but it hasn't pasted with the text.

22 minutes ago, Ratch said:

@fightersweep That's great Steve. Here's something I copied - Yours?

I copied the picture but it hasn't pasted with the text.

Yes Sir! That was one of my photos. Quite a well known one now as it's appeared in a few publications, but still a great photo.

Steve

• Thanks 1