Jump to content

Airbus A330 - which other Airbus is nearest for converting at 1:144 scale?


Recommended Posts

As the header refers, I am looking to build an Airbus A330 but, as there aren't any available/affordable, I am wondering if one of the other Airbus kits could be a suitable donor for a conversion?  I have a fair few Airbus kits but don't know if any would be suitable.  Any helpful advice would be appreciated.   Has anyone done a WiP on one?

 

cheers,
Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • bootneck changed the title to Airbus A330 - which other Airbus is nearest for converting at 1:144 scale?

Revell were the only people I know that did the kit  and the A-340 which is essentially, a four engine vesion of the 330.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't know that, so I am glad I asked.  I have a Revell A340-300 in the stash which means that I can now start looking for dimensional details.

cheers,
Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IIRC the Revell A340-300 kit has the same wing as the A330 and all you have to do is open up the holes for the extra engines.  Or in your case, not open. 

 

So, all you need are the engines, and I am pretty certain that I have a spare set of engines I can send you.  Just let me know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was a Revell A330 kit and I have tried those sites, all sold out except for something on stupidly stupid money.  Plus, I already have hundreds of 1:144 kits,  just not an A330, and swmbo is against me getting more,  saying "they all look so alike, why don't you chop convert something you already have?".

cheers,
Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As above the A330 was essentially a twin A340, they were developed in parallel. Thankfully Airbus didn't put all their resources into the A340, they must be relieved due to the shift towards twins.

What is not as commonly known is that they were both developed from the A300. I'm no expert but using an A300/A310 may be a possibility although I don't know what you'd do with the wings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A detail concerning both A330 types compared to A340.  -200s are not the same length.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A330

 

Length :

A330-200 : 58.82 m (192.98 ft)      A330-300 63.67 m (208.89 ft)

 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A340

 

Length

A340-200 59.39 m / 194.85 ft     A340-300 : 63.69 m / 208.96 ft

 

 

 

A330/A340 have the same tail profile as A310's.

Edited by AV O
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not quite clear which version you are intending to model but if it's the A330-200 (i.e. the short one) it has a taller fin. You can extend it yourself or use the resin replacement from BraZ Models.

 

Dave G

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Mike,

As others have said, the Revell A330/A340 is currently the only injection moulded option (there are the resin Authentic Airliners masterpieces but these are out of scope for your question). The Revell A340 is even rarer than their A330; I don't think the A340 has been released since the Austrian 'Wiener Philharmoniker' version in 2007! I managed to bag a couple in 2014 but haven't seen any available since then outside of a certain auction site. Even the A330 was last released back in 2013 with Thai Airways markings so could also be due for a re-release. I believe Revell have an issue with licensing of the markings; to keep costs down it's one of the reasons why their recent kits either have 'In-House' colour schemes, Emirates, British Airways or a Lufthansa livery. The Lufthansa A340-300s will still be around for a while so the kit may yet return at some point in the new colours, probably as a 'farewell' release once they are finally retired.

 

Eastern Express also have a series of A330s in preparation; at least an A330-200 and an A330-900 (this is the NEO or New Engine Option upgrade of the A330-300) but no indication of when they'll be released. In theory they can then also do an A330-300 and A330-800 by swapping the wings. They'll also be expensive but you could probably sell your A340 and still have some spare funds for some aftermarket goodies!


Below are some notes on the kit and the A330/A340 in general which may help:

 

1) The two aircraft are basically structurally identical with changes to accommodate the outboard engines and the Centre Landing Gear on the A340. This is one of the reasons why the A330 was suitable for the Tanker role, the Hose Drum Units (HDU) are located at the A340's outboard engine positions so provisions for the fuel systems would be a straightforward change.

 

The Revell kits are originally based on the A340 as is evidenced by the leading edge slats being separated at the outboard engine position and the cut-out on the lower fuselage fairings for the CLG bay.

 

2) Fill this line on the wing leading edge to correct the wing for an A330:

 

resized_aaf87d3f-54a4-42af-af70-341fa432

 

3) If you are changing the A340 to an A330 install the CLG doors into the lower fuselage fairing panel (part 19) and fill the gaps for the doors like this:

 

resized_c10bd94d-4bfe-4836-bcc2-c0d9c746

 

On the real A330 there is a plain panel covering the same area.

 

4) The A330 uses engines from General Electric (CF6), Rolls-Royce (Trent 700) and Pratt & Whitney (PW4000). The Revell A330 provides examples of the PW4000 so would be an A330-323 out of the box in the Thai Airways issue. To make a GE or R-R aircraft requires aftermarket engines, these can be obtained from Bra.Z. A few years ago 26decals also repackaged these for a while but they're essentially the same items.

 

You can tell which engine is installed from the numbers after the 'dash' as follows:

The first digit is the basic series number i.e -200 or 300

The second digit is for the engine manufacturer:

0 for General Electric,
2 for Pratt & Whitney,
4 for Rolls-Royce

 

(1 is for CFM International which is the sole engine manufacturer option on the A340 and 3 is for International Aero Engines but only really relevant to the A319/A320/A321 family)

The final digit refers to the engine sub-type and is generally related to the thrust available but has no real relevance to us as modellers since the differences are usually internal.

 

If you have a specific subject in mind an internet search will give you the full aircraft type and you can then determine whether it's an A330-300 or A330-200 and what engines you need to use.

 

If you want to convert your A340 to an A330-200 (I suspect you may be wanting to build a RAF Voyager MRTT aka an A330-243) in addition to 2) & 3) above, )you need to do the following:

 

5) Cut down the fuselage 21mm forward of the wing and 15mm aft. You can find a guide where to cut here: https://www.drawdecal.com/downloads/

 

6) The A330-200 has a larger Vertical Stabiliser. There are two* versions of this as it was modified from MSN0555 to use the same configuration as the stretched A340-500/-600. Both pre-mod and post-mod versions are also produced by Bra.Z; if you're doing a MRTT then you need the post-mod one.

 

* Technically 3 as the one in the kit is for a very early A330-300/A340-300s which has a smaller fairing at the base than seen on the later aircraft but is otherwise the same.

 

7) If making a Voyager, you'll need Rolls-Royce Trents. The majority of MRTTs use these but the RAAF and the Saudi AF opted for the CF6 on theirs.

 

8 ) I can't help with the lumps, bumps and HDUs fitted to the Voyager Tankers but this walk around should help:

There's a lot of information here, I know, but hopefully covers the main differences and the basic changes needed to go from the A340 to A330.

 

HTH,

 

Jonathan

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Jonathan,

now that is an extensive and illuminating response to my query.  I think I have been able to keep up with you on this, you were probably typing slowly for me, :giggle:  and now I need to open up the 340 kit and match what you say with the kit.

 

Thank you very much of this, I really do appreciate it.  :worthy:

 

Mike

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 5:51 PM, XV571 said:

You can tell which engine is installed from the numbers after the 'dash' as follows:

The first digit is the basic series number i.e -200 or 300

The second digit is for the engine manufacturer:

0 for General Electric,
2 for Pratt & Whitney,
4 for Rolls-Royce

 

Brilliant - I've always wondered how Airbus arrived at their full version numbers.

 

Thanks

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/20/2021 at 6:51 PM, XV571 said:

I believe Revell have an issue with licensing of the markings; to keep costs down it's one of the reasons why their recent kits either have 'In-House' colour schemes, Emirates, British Airways or a Lufthansa livery.

 

6) The A330-200 has a larger Vertical Stabiliser. There are two* versions of this as it was modified from MSN0555 to use the same configuration as the stretched A340-500/-600. Both pre-mod and post-mod versions are also produced by Bra.Z; if you're doing a MRTT then you need the post-mod one.

 

I love reading posts like yours, @XV571! Even if I only have a remote interest in this topic (but an LH 340 somewhere in the stash).

 

If Revell is reluctant to splash out money for licences, I wonder why they haven't yet done an extra sprue to metamorphose the 330 into a tanker?  Unless their fuselage is incompatible with that used for tankers. That would be a very interesting option, and one I would seriously consider buying. As I know you have a bit of connections in the kit industry, please suggest it to them, unless Hornby would mind. I'm sure that option would open up a new slice of market. And again regarding licences - I am not a specialised IP lawyer but have some trademark experience and am fairly confident that they can include just about any livery in the box without any trademark considerations if they do not show or mention it on the box; if the relevant airline has registered its TM for toys in the first place. The kit industry made a really big mistake IMHO when they let Boeing have their will and took out licences in order to have the correct designation on the box. They should have boycotted Boeing instead and not issued a kit of any product of any manufacturer Boeing has legacy rights on and for whom Boeing registered a TM. Five years moratorium and Boeing's TM's could have been challenged for lack of use. ***rant over***

 

6) A---- wot???  I thought it was fin on here 😉 Especially as you're not including a "z".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/08/2021 at 17:51, XV571 said:

I believe Revell have an issue with licensing of the markings; to keep costs down it's one of the reasons why their recent kits either have 'In-House' colour schemes, Emirates, British Airways or a Lufthansa livery.

Just curious - why are these liveries cheaper to produce?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, tempestfan said:

If Revell is reluctant to splash out money for licences, I wonder why they haven't yet done an extra sprue to metamorphose the 330 into a tanker?  Unless their fuselage is incompatible with that used for tankers.

The A330 MRTT is based off an A330-200, while Revell's kit depicts an A330-300. And they would have to tool a new engine sprue containing the Rolls-Royce Trent 700 and of course MRTT specific parts and decal sheet. Cheaper than tool a 100% new kit but still implies investing money in an old kit. I would certainly love to see this kit re-released but it seems Revell have other plans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Silver Seraph said:

The A330 MRTT is based off an A330-200, while Revell's kit depicts an A330-300. And they would have to tool a new engine sprue containing the Rolls-Royce Trent 700 and of course MRTT specific parts and decal sheet. Cheaper than tool a 100% new kit but still implies investing money in an old kit. I would certainly love to see this kit re-released but it seems Revell have other plans.

Thanks, that shows my general ignorance re this kit 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 20/08/2021 at 17:51, XV571 said:

Hi Mike,

As others have said, the Revell A330/A340 is currently the only injection moulded option (there are the resin Authentic Airliners masterpieces but these are out of scope for your question). The Revell A340 is even rarer than their A330; I don't think the A340 has been released since the Austrian 'Wiener Philharmoniker' version in 2007! I managed to bag a couple in 2014 but haven't seen any available since then outside of a certain auction site. Even the A330 was last released back in 2013 with Thai Airways markings so could also be due for a re-release. I believe Revell have an issue with licensing of the markings; to keep costs down it's one of the reasons why their recent kits either have 'In-House' colour schemes, Emirates, British Airways or a Lufthansa livery. The Lufthansa A340-300s will still be around for a while so the kit may yet return at some point in the new colours, probably as a 'farewell' release once they are finally retired.

 

Eastern Express also have a series of A330s in preparation; at least an A330-200 and an A330-900 (this is the NEO or New Engine Option upgrade of the A330-300) but no indication of when they'll be released. In theory they can then also do an A330-300 and A330-800 by swapping the wings. They'll also be expensive but you could probably sell your A340 and still have some spare funds for some aftermarket goodies!


Below are some notes on the kit and the A330/A340 in general which may help:

 

1) The two aircraft are basically structurally identical with changes to accommodate the outboard engines and the Centre Landing Gear on the A340. This is one of the reasons why the A330 was suitable for the Tanker role, the Hose Drum Units (HDU) are located at the A340's outboard engine positions so provisions for the fuel systems would be a straightforward change.

 

The Revell kits are originally based on the A340 as is evidenced by the leading edge slats being separated at the outboard engine position and the cut-out on the lower fuselage fairings for the CLG bay.

 

2) Fill this line on the wing leading edge to correct the wing for an A330:

 

resized_aaf87d3f-54a4-42af-af70-341fa432

 

3) If you are changing the A340 to an A330 install the CLG doors into the lower fuselage fairing panel (part 19) and fill the gaps for the doors like this:

 

resized_c10bd94d-4bfe-4836-bcc2-c0d9c746

 

On the real A330 there is a plain panel covering the same area.

 

4) The A330 uses engines from General Electric (CF6), Rolls-Royce (Trent 700) and Pratt & Whitney (PW4000). The Revell A330 provides examples of the PW4000 so would be an A330-323 out of the box in the Thai Airways issue. To make a GE or R-R aircraft requires aftermarket engines, these can be obtained from Bra.Z. A few years ago 26decals also repackaged these for a while but they're essentially the same items.

 

You can tell which engine is installed from the numbers after the 'dash' as follows:

The first digit is the basic series number i.e -200 or 300

The second digit is for the engine manufacturer:

0 for General Electric,
2 for Pratt & Whitney,
4 for Rolls-Royce

 

(1 is for CFM International which is the sole engine manufacturer option on the A340 and 3 is for International Aero Engines but only really relevant to the A319/A320/A321 family)

The final digit refers to the engine sub-type and is generally related to the thrust available but has no real relevance to us as modellers since the differences are usually internal.

 

If you have a specific subject in mind an internet search will give you the full aircraft type and you can then determine whether it's an A330-300 or A330-200 and what engines you need to use.

 

If you want to convert your A340 to an A330-200 (I suspect you may be wanting to build a RAF Voyager MRTT aka an A330-243) in addition to 2) & 3) above, )you need to do the following:

 

5) Cut down the fuselage 21mm forward of the wing and 15mm aft. You can find a guide where to cut here: https://www.drawdecal.com/downloads/

 

6) The A330-200 has a larger Vertical Stabiliser. There are two* versions of this as it was modified from MSN0555 to use the same configuration as the stretched A340-500/-600. Both pre-mod and post-mod versions are also produced by Bra.Z; if you're doing a MRTT then you need the post-mod one.

 

* Technically 3 as the one in the kit is for a very early A330-300/A340-300s which has a smaller fairing at the base than seen on the later aircraft but is otherwise the same.

 

7) If making a Voyager, you'll need Rolls-Royce Trents. The majority of MRTTs use these but the RAAF and the Saudi AF opted for the CF6 on theirs.

 

8 ) I can't help with the lumps, bumps and HDUs fitted to the Voyager Tankers but this walk around should help:

There's a lot of information here, I know, but hopefully covers the main differences and the basic changes needed to go from the A340 to A330.

 

HTH,

 

Jonathan

 

I just found this topic and I've saw your quote. I knew Eastern Express is about to making an A339 NEO, but I've never heard about the A330-200 version of them? Where I can find some information about that one? I wanted to build one for ages! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...