SAMI, MAM, June & July issues

KLN

The only difference to the June issue is the editorial from Mark Willey where he thanks the readers for their continuing support. I especially love the part where he says thanks to all the contributors for working for free all year.

At least I got my F-105 on the cover twice, lol.

• Haha 2

Don't know if this should be a continuation of the saga or if it should be the first page in a new one.

January 2022 issues of MAM and SAMI were in my local newsagent today , would not like to say for certain without wasting some of my life going back through old issues but some of the content seemed familiar but then again there is only so often you can cover an Su-27 , A-7 or whatever without raising memories of what has gone before somewhere or other.

What did catch my eye was the Editorial in SAMI from 'The Team' which struck me in being a bit Soviet-era selective historical in style with its claims of past glorious achievements and promises of bumper tractor production to come.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

What - are they releasing Model Tractor Monthly to rival Model Farmer Magazine? Part of their Five Year Plan, no doubt, comrade!

Only as a route to further tunip production.

• Haha 2

On 1/6/2022 at 2:02 PM, Des said:

Don't know if this should be a continuation of the saga or if it should be the first page in a new one.

January 2022 issues of MAM and SAMI were in my local newsagent today , would not like to say for certain without wasting some of my life going back through old issues but some of the content seemed familiar but then again there is only so often you can cover an Su-27 , A-7 or whatever without raising memories of what has gone before somewhere or other.

What did catch my eye was the Editorial in SAMI from 'The Team' which struck me in being a bit Soviet-era selective historical in style with its claims of past glorious achievements and promises of bumper tractor production to come.

It will be interesting to hear from the more expert amongst us, over the next few months, if articles are being recycled, or believably 'tweaked' for re-use. What a shame if that happens; a once good magazine.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 7:02 AM, Des said:

I am told the January 2022 print issue of SAMi is identical to the June 2021 electronic issue. 

I can report that January 2022 SAMI and MA are available in W H Smiths in Kidderminster. Haven't had a chance to read them in any depth yet, just skimmed through the contents, but I noticed in SAMI builds of the 1/72 hasegawa tony and 1/48th Sikorsky dragonfly., if that helps anyone identfy which electronic June or July issue it is.

I didn't have the electronic ones, so as for the December print issue, I have what was formerly missing. 

I certainly don't approve of what's happened, but before things started going pear shaped I regularly bought them, found them to be decent enough, and as it is the contributors who make the content of the magazine, I'm glad to see their work.

I would like to think that from February 2022 issue we get a print issue that is, indeed, current.

Edited by Whofan

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

and as it is the contributors who make the content of the magazine, I'm glad to see their work.

And it is something the owners seem to have forgotten, or simply ignore. If contributions dry up because they aren't getting paid, there won't be magazines. There has been a long history of contributors (and editorial staff) not being paid by these and previous owners of the company, which is why there are so many disgruntled former contributors and editorial staff. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How do you guys make article contributions to other model magazines? I never hear back Tamiya Model Magazine, AIR Modeler or AFV Modeler when I send them a submission but always hear back from SMMI (Scale Military Modeling International). Although SMMI did not pay me for my article they printed despite several reminders. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Bradley said:

And it is something the owners seem to have forgotten, or simply ignore. If contributions dry up because they aren't getting paid, there won't be magazines. There has been a long history of contributors (and editorial staff) not being paid by these and previous owners of the company, which is why there are so many disgruntled former contributors and editorial staff. 

As I said, I don't approve of what's been happening, which includes the bilking of contributors.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:51 PM, stalal said:

How do you guys make article contributions to other model magazines? I never hear back Tamiya Model Magazine, AIR Modeler or AFV Modeler when I send them a submission but always hear back from SMMI (Scale Military Modeling International). Although SMMI did not pay me for my article they printed despite several reminders. 

..not a model magazine of course, but Flypast is the one I don't always hear back from. One editor from your list said, yes, they liked it, but couldn't pay anything. Got a number of unpublished pieces just clogging up the HD, tempted to give them away..

On 1/7/2022 at 8:51 PM, stalal said:

How do you guys make article contributions to other model magazines?

Pre-internet it used to be the case that one would enclose return postage with submissions so that any rejected material could be returned with/without helpful advice from the editor , the alternative being that unsolicited submissions with return postage might well be binned.

When I used to get out and about more there was one aviation magazine that I used to send images to occasionally and after they started to accept submissions electronically the first I would know if anything was being used was when it appeared in print as opposed to my material being returned in an envelope with my handwriting on it.

Electronically  the first thought would be whether an editorial email address is being used or a business address , as a matter of practice the latter might not forward submitted material to the former who likely work from home as opposed to being present at the registered business offices.       By the nature of email I can see arguments for the editorial team wanting to avoid what might turn into long-drawn out e-mail exchanges for rejecting material so it might well be policy not to engage.     

Maybe an idea to contact the editorial team of any magazine you might be interested in writing for , letting them know what you might be working on and asking if they might be interested in the subject and also ask if they have any guidelines as to any in-house style , image size , backgrounds etc. rather than submit a completed article out of the blue.

My own connection with aircraft modelling magazines started with a 'Letter To The Editor' sending an image of a then fairly recent aircraft modification referenced but not illustrated in an article which led to a conversation with the editor and a suggestion that I write for him , usually on one or other of whatever list of projects I have a mind to do next and usually at my own increasingly slow speed.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Des said:

Pre-internet it used to be the case that one would enclose return postage with submissions so that any rejected material could be returned with/without helpful advice from the editor , the alternative being that unsolicited submissions with return postage might well be binned.

When I used to get out and about more there was one aviation magazine that I used to send images to occasionally and after they started to accept submissions electronically the first I would know if anything was being used was when it appeared in print as opposed to my material being returned in an envelope with my handwriting on it.

Electronically  the first thought would be whether an editorial email address is being used or a business address , as a matter of practice the latter might not forward submitted material to the former who likely work from home as opposed to being present at the registered business offices.       By the nature of email I can see arguments for the editorial team wanting to avoid what might turn into long-drawn out e-mail exchanges for rejecting material so it might well be policy not to engage.     

Maybe an idea to contact the editorial team of any magazine you might be interested in writing for , letting them know what you might be working on and asking if they might be interested in the subject and also ask if they have any guidelines as to any in-house style , image size , backgrounds etc. rather than submit a completed article out of the blue.

My own connection with aircraft modelling magazines started with a 'Letter To The Editor' sending an image of a then fairly recent aircraft modification referenced but not illustrated in an article which led to a conversation with the editor and a suggestion that I write for him , usually on one or other of whatever list of projects I have a mind to do next and usually at my own increasingly slow speed.

At Guidelines Publications, the best way is to email one of us with a couple of pictures, or message us via the Facebook messenger app. Please be aware that we sometimes can take a wee while to get back- especially if you email outside of what might loosely be called 'work hours' or at the weekend.

We tend to prefer articles that show the whole story of a model build, rather than just pics of the finished kit. This can of course make it difficult to submit an article of an already finished model without knowing that, but pictures of a finished model will at least let us see how you build and paint things.

If in doubt- just email or message though.

Cheers

Jonners

1 hour ago, PaulH said:

Needless to say I have now subbed to the new Phoenix magazine 👍

Thank you so very much for taking the subscription it really means a lot. The all new Feb issue will be sent to subscribers and those who have preordered from the website on the 24th Jan at latest.

And then will be every 4-4-5 weeks after that.

DF

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Pocetmags have credited 11 month balance to my account, still scammed for December double up though.

Will probably put it against Phoenix, though I would like more 1/72 content!!!!

Most makes trending towards larger scale these days.......

Derek

• Like 1