SAMI, MAM, June & July issues

KLN

As some of you will recall I am also a SAMI subscriber and experienced the same non-delivery issues as everybody else, however I did get an email from Mark this Tuesday following my latest chase up saying the replacement  Aug/Sept would be with me by the end of the week and to my surprise it has landed with today's post. I was surprised as I, like many, had given up on seeing it.

In Mark's reply on Tuesday he did say that the Oct issue would be sent out at the end of this week and they are trialling a new postal service, so hopefully we may see the Oct issue next week.

I'd be interested in how the subscriber copies look. Given it's almost precisely 4 weeks since the issues arrived in the shops, and the fact that subscribers apparently were told for a month "the cheque's in the mail", with all the originals, replacements and replacement-replacements invariably disappearing in transit, and now they miraculously turn up simultaneously, I'd be inclined to think they are remaindered copies. Honi soit qui mal y pense...

• Like 2

Mine has arrived as well.

Published by Triple six media and no mention of MA publications, make of that of you will.

Introduction by Andy Evans, 6 kit reviews which were probably backlog of reviews submitted, circa 200 words and 2 quick builds, along with 6 builds with no actual contextual information on building, more a summary of what was done and only finished pictures with circa 200-500 words. Nothing to teach/show the modeller on what to do. More of oh look what we did earlier etc.

Number of typos including 'in Septembers issue'.... either a typo or the content was due for the September issue or is it for the October issue? We will see.

1 hour ago, Hardtarget said:

Mine has arrived as well.

Published by Triple six media and no mention of MA publications, make of that of you will.

Introduction by Andy Evans, 6 kit reviews which were probably backlog of reviews submitted, circa 200 words and 2 quick builds, along with 6 builds with no actual contextual information on building, more a summary of what was done and only finished pictures with circa 200-500 words. Nothing to teach/show the modeller on what to do. More of oh look what we did earlier etc.

Number of typos including 'in Septembers issue'.... either a typo or the content was due for the September issue or is it for the October issue? We will see.

Read what Warthogmkl said about the content. It's not a typo - they have recycled content from before he left the company. So stuff like the advert for the US IMPS Nationals in July is correct! They have reused a lot of articles etc that he had edited for the magazine earlier in the year.

As per WarthogMKL 

"

A quick clarification some of the sections on the issue currently on sale in shops were supplied by me before I left a few months ago and were for the July issue and recycled. That is why the US nationals advert are in it despite that being held a few months ago. "

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1

Just had a quick check at Companies House. Triple Six Media Ltd was incorporated on 23 November 2015 and up to the year ended 30 November 2020 has been submitting dormant company accounts. It looks like the company, up until 30 November 2020, had not traded. It seems it has now been activated so that it can be the publisher behind the various magazine titles.

The list of directors shows names you will be familiar with.

All of the above information is available on the public record.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, tempestfan said:

I'd be inclined to think they are remaindered copies.

August/September issues still on the shelf at my local newsagent so not recalled up this end of the world yet and might be wrong but seem to recall an earlier explanation in one of the many threads the SAMI Saga has followed over the past year or so is that recalled magazines generally get pulped rather than returned to the publisher , back-issue copies are usually part of the original print-run.

I received my copies of the August/September editions of both Model Aircraft and SAMI magazines earlier this week. MA magazine published by MA Publications and SAMI published by Triple Six Media. Like most on here...still waiting for May, June, July and obviously yet to receive October.

Has anyone ever received the May, June and July issues of either of these magazines...?

May Issue was the last I received, though it was fashionably late. 

June and July, I have been told by MW Of MA they have no copies and extra 2 months subscription will credited to our accounts. 

I am still awaiting my August /September issue. 

I expect on current form my October issue around Christmas! 

Irony is that today I got my December issue of Airfix Model World by subscription, funny how a different publication can get it right. 

25 minutes ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

June and July, I have been told by MW Of MA they have no copies and extra 2 months subscription will credited to our accounts. 

I am still awaiting my August /September issue. 

I expect on current form my October issue around Christmas! 

Irony is that today I got my December issue of Airfix Model World by subscription, funny how a different publication can get it right. 

Begs the question did the June and July copies ever exist.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Are 'Trading Standards' capable of doing anything?  Have they any teeth? 

No idea if it comes within their terms of reference but suspect that if goods have not been supplied BUT the supplier has refunded OR the purchaser has obtained a refund through their bank/credit card then there would be no reason for them to take any interest even if it was their business , only had experience of them once or twice and any form of resolution seems to be their preferred option to enforcement even if that were an option unless public safety is involved.

I do believe that the USA has a Federal statute specifically involving taking payments by mail including on-line for non-existent items (if that were to be the case with the June/July issues) but whether cross-border cases are pursued especially for the sums likely to be involved would be another matter for any in that situation   . . . . .  visions of FBI SWAT Teams abseiling from helicopters amidst a cloud of Tear Gas in pre-dawn Bedford.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

I sent a mail one week ago with threat of a registered letter requesting refund (with a copy to the President of UPMS - UK) if I do not receive my missing magazines before November 1st

No response except an acknowledgment of receipt....

Just received this morning August - September ....  !!

It looks like a game of cat and mouse...
If I read what KLN writes , not much hope to get June & July ...

Otherwise I read A. Evans's editorial : not a slightest trace about any difficulties or explanation about the switch to a bimonthly edition regrouping

Christian

@christian Boehm Sorry but what has the IPMS UK got to do with the situation concerning a privately owned modelling magazine? I'm sure the EC would say exactly the same here and tell you to not bring them into this situation, and to leave them out of it. 

@John Tapsell is the UK IPMS Publicity Officer and Vice President and is also a member here on BM. I've tagged him due to your statement above concerning the IPMS UK.

"Otherwise I read A. Evans's editorial : not a slightest trace about any difficulties or explanation about the switch to a bimonthly edition regrouping" - 'Christian.

I suspect the editorial you mention may well have been written quite some time ago; perhaps it predates all the main changes and furore, hence noting is mentioned. Given that this combined issue contained information about events already well in the past, the pointers are clear. How much in that issue was recycled, and when from?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

That sounds like any normal day in Bedford!

I have understood Bedford's usual usual day's meteo and I apologize

In eastern France it's almost the same , modeller friend !

let's go to our work bench !

for : trecker_ed:

About IPMS-UK ( and Scale model World)  : although I think it's an institution in charge of good value repute of our common hobby , whatever their relays, I said:  "I thread...."

I didn't say : "I will do ....."

To be honest , I am resign to loose money...

But that final report is bad for everyone in this case

The official IPMS (UK) stance is that we will not get involved in a dispute between a customer and a commercial operator.

There have been multiple threads regarding MA Publications on different forums and on our own social media groups this year, so we are not unaware of the difficulties that customers and subscribers are experiencing.

However, we are not in a position to take sides in any disputes that have arisen because we have no personal or commercial involvement in the matter.

Regards,

John

• Thanks 1